Healthy Roots Dolls
Healthy Roots is a toy company that creates dolls and storybooks that reinforce positive self-perceptions of the richly diverse, varying shades of complexion and natural hair textures among girls of color. Societal beauty standards negatively impact the self perception of girls of color. We empower, educate and inspire self love.
Healthy Roots dolls have a medley of facial features, skin tones, and hair textures that can be styled in countless ways. Our dolls have multiple interests and aspirations which exposes young girls to their own unlimited career potential. Our goal is to represent the voices of young girls of color in the toy industry with products that empower, educate and inspire self love.
Healthy Roots is the first line of natural hair dolls to enter the toy industry. Our mission is to bring diversity to the toy aisle with products that reflect the diversity of our reality.
- 'Another Step Forward for Black Female Founders': Healthy Roots Dolls Wins $25K American Inno
Yelitsa Jean-Charles of Healthy Roots Dolls was awarded $25000 as recipient of Main Street Ventures first winner of the Wendy S. Lea Female Founders Grant.
- Healthy Roots Dolls Wins Big at Startup Stampede Competition American Inno
Cincinnati-based toy and lifestyle company Healthy Roots Dolls won the grand prize and the people's choice award at the American Underground's Startup ...
- Ellis Island Tea, Healthy Roots Among QL Detroit Demo Day Winners Xconomy
Quicken Loans Detroit Demo Day, held Friday evening at the Fillmore downtown, was quite a production. The event involved a number of entrepreneurs.
- Yelitsa Jean-Charles' new doll helps children of color love their hair WCPO Cincinnati
Yelitsa Jean-Charles' startup, Healthy Roots, makes dolls and storybooks designed to help teach natural hair care to young girls of color.
- Healthy Roots Dolls Wants Girls of Color to See Themselves in Playtime American Inno
Yelitsa Jean-Charles, founder and creative director of Healthy Roots Dolls, used her enduring frustration that dolls didn't look like her to make her own.
- ESSENCE 50: 'Healthy Roots' Founder Yelitsa Jean-Charles Advises Budding Entrepreneurs To Trust Their Process Essence.com
ESSENCE is proud to celebrate extraordinary Black women who are breaking glass ceilings as flourishing entrepreneurs with compelling backstories. Join us as ...
- Entrepreneurs earn $1.2M in Quicken Loans Detroit Demo Day The Detroit News
Doll/storybook company and craft brewery among the winners Friday at Fillmore Detroit.
- Graphic artist creates African-American dolls to help young girls embrace diversity WCPO Cincinnati
A Cincinnati graphic designer and visual activist has launched a startup toy company that will give African-American girls dolls that look like them.
- Cleveland's full day of entrepreneurship events, Startup Scaleup, moves to Flats cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- More than 1,500 entrepreneurs will pack the East Bank of the Flats today for Startup Scaleup, where they will network, pitch, brainstorm ...
- Super Beauty Founder TiffanyJ Aims To Empower Black Youth Through Book Series And Doll Line News One
Navigating adolescence was an uphill battle for South Carolina-bred entrepreneur TiffanyJ. The pressures of fitting in with her peers, her ongoing struggle with ...
- Venture for America selects Cleveland for next startup accelerator program Crain's Cleveland Business
Cleveland has beaten out Cincinnati and Columbus to host Venture for America's next national business accelerator program, which is expected to draw six to ...
- Meet the Companies in Backstage Capital's Detroit Accelerator Xconomy
Backstage Capital, a Los Angeles-based venture firm seeding early-stage companies led by women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ community, ...
- Wendy Lea's Cincinnati legacy lives on with eponymous grant for female entrepreneurs Cincinnati Business Courier
Cincinnati's Main Street Ventures awarded its first grant for female entrepreneurs named in honor of former Cintrifuse CEO Wendy Lea.
- Here are some of the best music videos ever filmed in the city of Detroit The Neighborhoods
With all the chatter around Big Sean's “Single Again" video, which takes us from the westside neighborhood he grew up in to downtown's Spirit Plaza, we figured ...
- Ellis Island Tea Founder, 32, Has a Sweet New Reason to Smile -- Her $300000 Win at Detroit Demo Day Deadline Detroit
An 11-year-old sweet tea business gets a sweet ingredient at the third annual Detroit Demo Days contest for local entrepreneurs. Ellis Island Tea, founded in ...
- VFA announces Demo Day winners - Bizwomen The Business Journals
A company that makes dolls for girls of color also received a monetary award at Venture For America's (VFA) second Annual Demo Day.
- Detroit startups named for minority-centric VC fund Backstage Capital's first accelerator Crain's Detroit Business
Backstage Capital, a venture capital fund dedicated to minority founders, announced its 25-company cohort for its four-city Backstage Accelerator program that ...
- Introducing Cincy Inno's Inaugural 50 on Fire American Inno
In the 11 month since Cincy Inno's official debut, we've published more than 175 original stories to showcase the people, companies and trends that are helping ...
- Cincy Inno's 25 Under 25 American Inno
With Cincy Inno's first-ever 25 Under 25 list, we take a few moments to celebrate some of those entrepreneurs — the most illustrious members of the ecosystem's ...
- Hunter S. Thompson: Our 1986 Interview SPIN
Revisit our May 1986 interview with Hunter S. Thompson.
- Plymouth news briefs, Aug. 10 - News Wicked Local Concord
List your local organization's community news in Briefly.
- Barbies clothing designer fashions her memoir The Columbus Dispatch
LOS ANGELES — Carol Spencer might be the most influential fashion designer you've never heard of. In the mid-1960s, she made a red pencil skirt with a white ...
- Northern Kentucky's growing businesses get personal service with big-time experience – Lane Report | Kentucky Business & Economic News The Lane Report
By Greg Paeth. Louisville-based Stites & Harbison PLLC, a law firm headquartered in Louisville, built a new office in Covington's RiverCenter. Lawyers in the ...
- Plymouth news briefs, July 31 - News Wicked Local Cohasset
List your local organization's community news in Briefly.
- 15 Entrepreneurs Set to Compete for a Share of $1.2 Million in Funding at 3rd Annual Quicken Loans Detroit Demo Day Yahoo Finance
DETROIT, June 4, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Out of the hundreds of impressive applications received and vetted, 15 finalists have emerged as the Detroit ...
- Cover Story3 weeks ago Feisty And Fearless Pioneers Thandi Ndlovu & Nonkululeko Gobodo Forbes Africa
Thandi Ndlovu and Nonkululeko Gobodo, moulded by South Africa's apartheid past, tore their way into male-dominated sectors , leading them boldly through a ...
- Plymouth news briefs, July 27 - News Wicked Local Duxbury
List your local organization's community news in Briefly.
- The Haunting History of 'Frozen Charlotte' Dolls Atlas Obscura
They abound on Etsy and eBay: Tiny dolls, usually with dark-painted hair and red lips, and skin as white as snow. Made of white bisque, a type of porcelain, they ...
- Food News: new cafes, a healthy food pop-up, and more AL.com
What's happening in the world of Birmingham food.
- Plymouth news briefs, Aug. 7 - News - Norton Mirror - Norton, MA Wicked Local Norton
List your local organization's community news in Briefly.
- Gullah Roots – Everything African | BlackPressUSA Black Press USA
CHARLESTON CHRONICLE — Octavious Dowling, owner of Gullah Roots, an African clothing store in North Charleston, is really looking forward to February.
- Black Mom Creates Party Supplies For Children Of Color News One
A Black Miami mother is aiming to add some melanin to kid's party supplies through the creation of her own business. After garnering over $20,000 through a ...
- 7 ways to drink your way healthy this holiday season OnMilwaukee.com
If you're looking for a simple and quick way to fight inflammation this winter, I've got the solution for you! This holiday season, drink your way to health with the ...
- The Chic Octogenarian Behind Barbie’s Best Looks The New York Times
LOS ANGELES — Carol Spencer, 86, may be the most influential fashion designer you've never heard of. In the mid-1960s, she made a red pencil skirt with a ...
- Ghost of Toys R Us still haunts toy makers Concord Monitor
Just last year, a kid in the market for an Uncle Milton ant farm could choose from a half dozen versions, including glow-in-the dark or an ant village. Now there ...
- Startup Stampede selects nine companies for consumer product incubator WRAL Tech Wire
Startup Stampede, the South's consumer product incubator, has selected nine emerging consumer product companies to participate in the 2018 program from ...
- The best plant for your first garden in 2019 Business Insider
If you're attempting to grow your first garden, these are the best plants you can purchase to get started the right way.
- 15 Women-Led Rhode Island Startups American Inno
This International Women's Day, we wanted to celebrate by rounding up a few of our favorite stories (so far!) on or featuring local female founders. We've ...
- MassChallenge finalist challenges beauty standards Boston Herald
The 21-year-old founder of Healthy Roots — a MassChallenge startup out to empower the next generation of black girls — is launching a Kickstarter campaign ...
- 7 Cincy Startups to Watch in 2018 American Inno
The new year is just around the corner. As it comes closer, we at Cincy Inno want to take some time to look ahead as we say farewell to 2017. To do just that, ...
- Backstage Capital Unveils First Cohort Of Accelerator Program For Underestimated Founders (Women, People Of Color, Or LGBT) Pulse 2.0
Los Angeles-based venture firm Backstage Capital has unveiled the first cohort of its accelerator program for underestimated founders.
- Healthy racial identity important for adolescent African-American girls Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom
The education impact can be traced to adolescence: African-American girls with strong racial identity are more likely to be academically curious and persistent in ...
- 8 Rhode Island Student-Founded Startups American Inno
When most people talk about the best elements of Rhode Island, its premier higher learning institutions are always one of the first things mentioned. In this piece ...
- 23 ways to support International Women’s Day when you shop online today Business Insider
These female-founded companies should always be on your radar for the innovative products they offer, but especially on International Women's Day.
- For Us By Us: A Gift Guide for People of Color Wear Your Voice
Black folks' combined buying power is over one trillion dollars. This holiday season, buy your gifts from businesses owned by people of color. The gift will be ...
- Toys, electronics among top sellers as Cyber Monday set to break records Dallas News
Dallas News: your source for breaking news and analysis for Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas and around the world. Read it here, first.
- CEO of Lee's Summit Inc. 5000 company talks fast growth Kansas City Business Journal
Dustin Doll, CEO and founder of Accord Group, talks about the company's growth and its keys to success.
- Longevity Project — Part 4: Financial planning is one key to aging well Glenwood Springs Post Independent
Editor's note: This is the fourth and final installment in our four-part Longevity Project, looking at the keys to living a long life and issues around aging in Garfield.
- Goop Is Getting Into the Men’s Apparel Business Yahoo Lifestyle
Goop is getting into the men's apparel business. The Gwyneth Paltrow-run lifestyle brand is launching G. Label Men with six sweaters, all made in Italy. Like G.
- A Twin Cities restaurant revolution has elevated the local food scene Star Tribune
The evolution of the Twin Cities' dining landscape is nothing short of revolutionary. But it didn't happen overnight.
- 'Toys R Us-less' holidays? No problem! Local toy stores abound in Westchester The Journal News | LoHud.com
Even with the demise of Toys R Us, Westchester has plenty of plaything options.
- You Can Do All Your Holiday Shopping Off This Twitter Thread That Lists POC-Owned Businesses Bustle
While some folks still choose to brave the frigid temperatures and scores of people waiting to rush into brick and mortar stores on Black Friday, many (including ...
- Meet the Minneapolis native who was Barbie's personal fashion designer Minneapolis Star Tribune
LOS ANGELES – Carol Spencer, 86, may be the most influential fashion designer you've never heard of. But you've certainly heard of her client: Barbie.
- Foraged foods, seasonality & reverence for nature converge at Wild Roots OnMilwaukee.com
Wild foraged items, classical culinary training and a deep respect for nature are about to converge at Wild Roots, the forthcoming restaurant at 6807 W. Becher ...
- Market Review: Louisville legal community creates innovative tools for its clients in a bustling economy – Lane Report | Kentucky Business & Economic News The Lane Report
By Greg Paeth. McBrayer attorneys Trevor Nichols and Elizabeth Barrera discuss a case in their Louisville office. Founded in 1963, McBrayer employs more than ...
- ‘Annabelle Comes Home’ is good, dumb - and scary - summer fun Houston Chronicle
Artistically, it's hard to sustain, let alone build on, a popular horror franchise. The cinematic “Conjuring” universe — an interconnected series of hit horror films ...
- Holiday shopping: The best toys for kids make use of their imaginations, not a screen ABC News
The American Academy of Pediatrics recently released an updated clinical report with recommendations on the best toys for children's development -- toys that ...
- Frog's 50-year leap: From Apple to Alto, the design studio looks to the future New York Business Journal
Frog president Andy Zimmerman discusses the studio's history and future.
- Organized Crime Lurks Everywhere in 'My Brilliant Friend.' Here's the Real Story of the Rise of the Naples Underworld TIME
The bestselling novels, now an HBO series, tell a story not only of friendship, but also of the influence of organized crime in Naples.
- 5 Questions with... Crossing Healthcare CEO Tanya Andricks | Health Herald & Review
Name: Tanya Andricks. Occupation: CEO at Crossing Healthcare. 1. Where did you grow up, and where did you go to college? I was born in Arkansas City, ...
- Talking dolls challenge racial stereotypes CNN International
A new range of dolls that speak in indigenous African languages has been created to help African children connect with their roots.
- What Makes Roots Picnic Different: Inside Philadelphia's Annual Musical Celebration That Feels Like "It's Just Family" Recording Academy | Grammys
The Recording Academy went backstage at the fest that celebrates Philadelphia's rich musical heritage, rap and R&B's talent-drenched future and the 20th ...
- Death by Dolls: Meet the Saudi Designer A-listers Are Loving SCOOP EMPIRE
By Sarah Alblowi Made in heart of Los Angles, Sara Al-Saud, reflects the urban high-end street style. The fashion designer dressed every dream celebrity.
- Here's what people are buying on record Cyber Monday Allentown Morning Call
Shoppers are on track to spend an estimated $7.8 billion on Cyber Monday — a record — boosting a strong holiday shopping season. And Wall Street seems to ...
- ‘We want to create positive impact on Melanin people by offering a doll with similar features’ Guardian Nigeria
I love fashion, the aesthetics, self-expression and social influence. I studied fashion marketing when I was in the University because I am passionate about the ...
- Review: Look out, Buzz. There's another good toy movie out Concord Monitor
There are two movies opening this weekend that feature iconic anthropomorphic dolls. Be very careful which one you choose.Toy Story 4 has the usual gang of ...
- The Secret To Healthy, Color-Treated Hair, No Matter Your Dye Job Or Hair Texture Yahoo Lifestyle
The amount of upkeep you'll need varies from person to person and hangs on a few factors: the type of color you get, your natural hair texture, how quickly your ...
- A brief history of sex dolls, from leather dummies to sexbots Haaretz
Will lifelike sex dolls be the solution for the loneliness of millions – or an extreme manifestation of the objectification of women?
- Citi turns to AI for early work in approval of corporate loans South China Morning Post
US banking giant Citigroup has begun tapping artificial intelligence to analyse companies' financial statements in the approval process for corporate loans – an ...
- Ken doll gets modern makeover Concord Monitor
He's been overshadowed by Barbie for decades, but now Ken is finally getting some attention.Mattel is introducing 15 new looks for the male doll, including ...
- Elvis Costello on His Cancer Scare, Reteaming With Burt Bacharach & Immigration Billboard
Despite a label setback and cancer scare, Elvis is more driven than ever to keep his career on track.
- What Abortion Access Looks Like in Mississippi: One Person at a Time The New York Times
With state legislatures passing new abortion restrictions, the Mississippi Reproductive Freedom Fund follows its own compass on how to best help clients.
- Natasha Lyonne and Maya Rudolph Want to Retire the Phrase "Female Comedy" Hollywood Reporter
Natasha Lyonne of 'Russian Doll' and Maya Rudolph of 'Forever' talk about their Animal Pictures company, their deal with Amazon Studios and why they want to ...
- Monday, June 3, 2019 Kaiser Health News
In a mission of forgiveness, churches around the country are buying up medical debt for pennies on the dollar then erasing the debts of strangers. Since the start ...
- Ready for electric vehicles? BusinessLine
Auto-makers are leaving no stone unturned to jump on to the electric vehicle bandwagon.
- JAY-Z hires lawyer for family held at gunpoint AOL
Video of officers confronting a family for an alleged shoplifting incident quickly went viral as the internet stormed into a discussion.
- 11 things you may not know about Fred Rogers, from the new book 'The Good Neighbor' Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
New biography 'The Good Neighbor' explores how childhood loneliness and creativity helped shape Fred Rogers into a man who spoke kindly to children.
- How One Cincy Startup is Disrupting the SEO Game | Pop-up Coworking American Inno
Understanding search engine optimization, or SEO, can be an ordeal. Getting it to work to a company's benefit is just as difficult. Timothy Warren, president and ...
- WATCH: NFL player with North Philly roots comes home to inspire teens PhillyVoice.com
To hear his mother Nyerere Parks tell it, there was a single moment in 2011 that helps explain why Denver Broncos safety Will Parks was back in his hometown ...
- Forbes Africa #30Under30 list: Business, Technology, Creatives and Sport Forbes Africa
THE FORBES AFRICA 30 UNDER 30 LIST IS THE most-anticipated list of game-changers on the continent and this year, we bring you 120 of Africa's brightest ...
- Column: Goo Goo Dolls' 'Dizzy Up the Girl' turns 20: From the Continental to the arena stage Buffalo News
Remembering the path of songwriter Johnny Rzeznik, who overcame nagging self-doubt to define mainstream alternative rock for a decade.
- Best of Santa Cruz County 2019: Arts & Culture Good Times Weekly
The best music festivals, art galleries, performers, artists, photographers and more, according to our annual Best Of Santa Cruz County 2019 Reader's Poll.
- Black Barbie's 'half-finished' hairstyle causing controversy, drawing mixed reviews Fox News
It may be Barbie's world, but some critics are calling out the folks at Mattel for featuring an African-American doll with a “half-finished” hairstyle on social media.
- Blockbuster Cyber Monday Is Overshadowed by Economic Outlook Bloomberg
Shoppers are on track to spend an estimated $7.8 billion on Cyber Monday -- a record -- boosting a strong holiday shopping season. And Wall Street seems to ...
- Roots for the Home Team serving salads with a side of youth empowerment OnMilwaukee.com
Sunday, Aug. 26 marked the third Sunday of the baseball season during which Brewers' fans were able to reap the benefits of Roots for the Home Team, a new ...
- The best dry shampoo in 2019 Business Insider
We've rounded up the best dry shampoo you can buy at any price point and in a few different formula to help keep your hair looking *fresh*.
- New Barbies to have prosthetic leg, wheelchairs WGAU
Mattel has unveiled its latest line of inclusive Barbie dolls as it celebrates 60 years of the iconic toy. Teen Vogue reported that, among the latest in the Barbie ...
- Black infants die at a high rate in Milwaukee. These doulas are volunteering with moms to change that. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Milwaukee doulas bring experience and cultural sensitivity to support African American mothers-to-be.
- Third cryotherapy studio chilling out the Tri-Town The Times of Northwest Indiana
One of the coolest trends in Northwest Indiana is dunking yourself in subzero temperatures to treat aches, pains and inflammation.
- Sumela Turkish & Mediterranean Restaurant: An oldie but a goodie Yes! Weekly
By: Davina van Buren, @highpointfoodie. If you live in High Point, chances are you pass Sumela Turkish & Mediterranean Restaurant frequently. Located on a ...
- Even Lil Pump Can’t Have It All BuzzFeed News
The 18-year-old rapper's Instagram flexes about money, drugs, and women have earned him millions of fans. In person, things aren't quite so fun.
- What's Your DAM Relationship Status? CMSWire
“Relationships are the only thing that matter in business, in life” — Jerry Weintraub. Relationships take work and digital asset management (DAM) is no ...
- Motley Crue + Netflix Sued by Injured 'The Dirt' Crew Member Loudwire
A crew member involved in Netflix's Motley Crue biopic The Dirt has sued both the company and the band over severe electrical burns he suffered last year on ...
- Sunflower Foundation makes way on Menninger Hill development KSNT News
Editor's Note: Previous versions of this article incorrectly reported city tax dollars were used to fund the project and that the city provided a loan for the project.
- 10 Riskiest, Priciest Summer Movie Gambles, From ‘Dark Phoenix’ to ‘Detective Pikachu’ TheWrap
The summer movie release schedule is always filled with big blockbusters, superhero sagas and beautiful independent films to balance out the season.
- New shops, breweries coming to Oakland County downtowns Detroit Free Press
Downtowns across southeast Oakland County are welcoming a *fresh* batch of entrepreneurs to tempt shoppers, diners and the curious with everything from ...
- Actor Sam Lloyd diagnosed with cancer; GoFundMe page started Rutland Herald
Actor Sam Lloyd Jr., a native Vermonter, television actor and musician, has been diagnosed with cancer and friends have have set up a GoFundMe page ...
- 2003-12-26 Friday, December 26, 2003 Estes Park Trail-Gazette
An artful plan. EPAC survey will target proposed performing arts center. By Rick Padden. If you build it, they will come. At least that's what the Estes Park Arts ...
- Brian Beatty Team announces new agents, administrative assistant Moultrie News
The Brian Beatty Team welcomes agents, Chris Hanson, Jade Sapp, Reid Reynolds, and Savannah Bailey as new agents of The Brian Beatty Team of Keller ...
- How hiding depression and mental illness from family can be deadly Vox.com
The silent shame of having a mental illness in a Chinese family.