Founded in May 2011 and headquartered in New York City, Uncharted Power is an award-winning, power company. With their proprietary MORE technology, they use renewable kinetic energy solutions to power microgrids for communities, large facilities and the Internet of Things.
Uncharted Power first began as Uncharted Play, a new kind of social enterprise grounded in play and the happiness of life, that would show the world how play could be a tangible tool for inspiring social invention.
In 2008, Founder & CEO Jessica O. Matthews worked on a class project to invent the SOCCKET, an energy generating soccer ball, at Harvard University. Through her work on the project, Jessica quickly realized that the world of play and motion was truly uncharted territory when it came to tangibly addressing real issues facing society. Jessica knew that an enterprise grounded in sustainable, realistic solutions for empowerment had real value.
Building on its foundations with the SOCCKET, the company since evolved to pioneering more innovations within the renewable energy field. Updating the company name to Uncharted Power, it has expanded its focus by developing the technology within the soccer ball, MORE (Motion-based, Off-grid, Renewable Energy), and designing kinetic (motion) energy generating solutions for infrastructure and smart applications.
Uncharted Power’s primary clients are large corporations and governments across Africa, with a particular focus on partners in Nigeria, Rwanda, Angola, Malawi, and Senegal. The company’s main goal is help power the rapidly developing smart communities across the world by utilizing the untapped kinetic energy available in a clean and renewable way.
Sign up for the Moguldom newsletter — business news you need to know about economic empowerment for the digital age, delivered to your inbox.
- Inventor and CEO of Uncharted Power, Jessica Matthews, explains everything that's wrong with a 100-year-old energy infrastructure in the US INSIDER
Jessica O. Matthews, founder and CEO of Uncharted Power, presented on the need for a global reconstruction of energy infrastructure as we know it.
- Uncharted Power's Unique Tech Keeps the Lights On PCMag
The recent Disney Accelerator tech day featured a number of intriguing startups, including Hop Skip Drive, but Uncharted Power Founder and CEO Jessica O.
- WATCH LIVE: Chris Hayes, Barbara Corcoran, and more speak at IGNITION right now Business Insider
IGNITION is Business Insider's flagship conference featuring the biggest names in business, tech, and media.
- Men: Step out of your bubble to champion gender diversity The Globe and Mail
Stepping forward to become an advocate for gender diversity is uncharted territory for many of us, yet it is a business imperative with a body of evidence ...
- May Day: British leader's respite won't end Brexit mess | AP business | Journal Gazette Fort Wayne Journal Gazette
Prime Minister Theresa May is safe, for now, but that has not brought Britain's Brexit battle any closer to resolution.
- 4 Ways AI Analytics Projects Fail - and How to Succeed HPCwire
“How do I de-risk my AI-driven analytics projects?” This is a common question for organizations ready to modernize their analytics portfolio. Here are four ways ...
- Disney Invests in Company Set to Disrupt Global Power Infrastructure Black Enterprise
Jessica O. Matthews is the founder of Uncharted Power, a company that uses renewable kinetic energy solutions to generate clean, consistent, and cost-efficient ...
- Uncharted Power Founder Jessica O. Matthews On Building The Anti-Silicon Valley Energy Startup Forbes
This story is part of a special features series titled CEOs Rising. “My name is Jessica O. Matthews, and I am the founder and CEO of Uncharted Power. I used to ...
- Strasbourg, Brexit, the Arctic: Your Wednesday Briefing The New York Times
(Want to get this briefing by email? Here's the sign-up.) Good morning. Thank you for all the feedback on our special Brexit section of the briefing over the last ...
- 'Uncharted waters': May stakes her future on crucial Brexit vote The Sydney Morning Herald
Britain's Brexit minister insists Tuesday's Brexit vote will go ahead, saying Theresa May would not renegotiate the deal.
- These Young Female Founders Overcame Rejection To Build High-Growth Businesses From Scratch Forbes
Whether it's a customized playlist to amp your confidence or practicing power poses in between pitch slides, a panel of female Millennial entrepreneurs at the ...
- Disney Startups Pitch Exercise in Bid for TV Viewers of Tomorrow Bloomberg
Joanna McFarland knows how to tailor her pitch to her audience. The chief executive officer of Los Angeles-based HopSkipDrive -- a kind of Uber for kids -- told ...
- Amazon's best books of the year INSIDER
Amazon's editors picked their 100 favorite books of the year. Here are the top 30.
- #AfricaNext: Jessica O. Matthews Is Bringing Energy to Communities Worldwide With 'Unchartered Power' Okayafrica
Sponsored *content* from Samsung Next. When she was just 22 years old, Nigerian tech entrepreneur Jessica O. Matthews founded Uncharted Power, and ...
- The Walt Disney Company to Showcase Several Disney Accelerator Companies at 2018 Demo Day Business Wire
The Walt Disney Company announced the roster of 2018 Disney Accelerator companies that will be presenting at its fifth annual Demo Day tomorrow.
- These Female-Led Startups Are Testing the Boundaries of Science, Technology, and Retail Inc.
Each of these women on Inc.'s Female Founders 100 is in the early stages of pushing her industry forward.
- How Extreme Weather Is Shrinking the Planet The New Yorker
With wildfires, heat waves, and rising sea levels, large tracts of the earth are at risk of becoming uninhabitable, but the fossil-fuel industry continues its assault on ...
- The inventor of the energy-harnessing soccer ball made a huge pivot — and it's paying off big time Business Insider
Jessica O. Matthews started Uncharted Play as a college student. Now, the company has raised the largest Series A of a black woman ever and made a big ...
- 26 Women of Color Diversifying Entrepreneurship in Silicon Valley, Media, and Beyond Vanity Fair
The business world has long been a boys' club. Women C.E.O.s and founders of color make up a small portion of entrepreneurs who have reached the top.
- Mega Millions jackpot enters ‘uncharted territory’ at record $1.6 billion The Washington Post
The estimated cash option alone is nearly $905 million.
- Meet the Tech Entrepreneur: Jessica O. Matthews Tech in Africa
Jessica O. Matthews is a tech entrepreneur who has won some awards in the tech ecosystem. Mathews discusses renewable energy. She also discusses what it ...
- How Karissa Bodnar Built Thrive Causemetics, A Luxury And Mission-Driven Makeup Company Forbes
In her early 20s, Karissa Bodnar worked as a makeup artist, as well as a product developer for the luxury division at L'Oreal. But her cosmetics career took a ...
- Inspiring Insight From Women CEOs Forbes
The number of women-owned companies is rising significantly—boosting employment and revenues at a faster clip than the national average. Here, you can ...
- Trump is venturing into uncharted legal territory as he muses about pardoning himself INSIDER
President Donald Trump's power to grant pardons is broad, but the question of whether a president can pardon themselves has not been tested before — but ...
- Meet the Women Behind 7 of Our Favorite Start-Ups PureWow
It takes guts to start your own company. Let us rephrase: It takes a strong, determined and fearless personality to start your own company. So it's no wonder that ...
- This Woman Wants to Run Harlem's First Billion-Dollar Startup Entrepreneur
Uncharted Play founder Jessica O. Matthews decided to double down on her founding principles and give back to Harlem.
- Jessica O Matthews: the entrepreneur bringing renewable energy to the masses The Guardian
Successful entrepreneurs often have an “a-ha” moment, and for Jessica O Matthews, it came at her aunt's wedding in Nigeria. While guests celebrated, the ...
- They're Doing It: Awe-Inspiring Black Female Entrepreneurs Entrepreneur
Black female business owners are a booming economic force in the U.S. Here are nine women leading the charge.
- Far-left Democrats are pushing party into uncharted waters: Varney Fox Business
FBN's Stuart Varney on the impact of far-left candidates on the Democratic Party.
- null Inc.
Jessica O. Matthews, the 29-year-old founder of Uncharted Play, a renewable energy tech startp, is beating the odds. Earlier this week, her company raised $7 ...
- 'Black Girl Magic' theme of 20th annual Ford Freedom Awards The Detroit News
Annual event will honor the late Dr. Dorothy Height, tech entrepreneur Jessica O. Matthews, and rising star honoree Asia Newson, 14, of Detroit.
- Diane Von Furstenberg Was Already an Icon in the Fashion Business. Now She's an 'Oracle' Inc.
In conversation with Whitney Wolfe Herd and Cindi Leive, the iconic designer, 71, looks back at her career--and forward to spreading her decades of wisdom.
- This Entrepreneur Risked His Father-in-Law's Life Savings on His Business. Here's What Happened Inc.
With hard work, it took only 18 months to get the money back.
- An Analysis of 43M Facebook Business Pages Shows This Is the Ideal Number of Times to Post a Day Inc.
If you've been on Facebook at all recently, either for personal use or to promote your business, you've no doubt noticed radical changes to the newsfeed.
- Jessica O. Matthews Shows Off Uncharted Play's Kinetic Energy-Powered Products Inc.com
At Inc.'s GrowCo conference, Uncharted Play founder Jessica O. Matthews showed off her company's kinetic energy-based products and offered a new way of ...
- 7 reasons you should buy a PlayStation 4 instead of the Nintendo Switch INSIDER
Let's say you have $300 to spend on a video game console for your home. Which should you buy: Sony's PlayStation 4, or the Nintendo Switch?
- Uncharted Waters: Navigating Recent US Tariffs and Future Trade Actions | Texas Lawyer Law.com
With the Trump Administration's unprecedented use of Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962 and Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 to impose tariffs ...
- Six Ways Our Business Has Evolved from Inception to Year Eight Inc.
From startup to one of Inc.'s Best Workplaces 2018--examining the choices, growth and vision that impact a company's direction.
- Global Business Leaders Suspend Ties With Saudi Arabia as Tensions Rise Inc.
Global business leaders are reassessing their ties with Saudi Arabia, stoking pressure on the Gulf kingdom to explain what happened to a dissident writer who ...
- She's Got the Power: An Interview With Jessica O. Matthews, by Randi Zuckerberg Creators Syndicate
Meeting Jessica O. Matthews was so incredibly inspiring to me. She's not only solving real problems but also influencing the next generation of female founders.
- The legal battle over Trump’s D.C. hotel could be entering uncharted territory PBS NewsHour
A ruling on a lawsuit over the Emoluments Clause and Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C. could push the case into unchartered legal territory.
- Sony's PlayStation group will no longer compete with Nintendo over handheld game consoles Business Insider
After years of producing the PlayStation Portable and its successor, the PlayStation Vita, Sony is getting out of the handheld gaming market.
- SC customers face higher solar costs following Legislature’s support for big energy The State
Some S.C. customers will lose favorable rates, which make solar energy affordable for many, because Duke Energy has reached a limit on solar growth.
- She May Be the First Black Woman in New Orleans to Raise $2 Million in Capital for Her Startup Black Enterprise
Sevetri Wilson recently raised $2 million in capital to expand her tech startup, ExemptMeNow, a SaaS platform designed to help nonprofits become exempt and ...
- How to Know if You Should Pursue Your New Business Idea Inc.
Launching your new business idea is daunting. Before you take that big step, make sure you fully believe in both the idea and yourself.
- Here's a New Yelp Feature You Absolutely Need If You Run an Inclusive Business Inc.
Yelp this week introduced a new feature: a way for companies to advertise that they are inclusive and welcoming to all. And if that's how your business operates, ...
- Plastic Straws Are on the Way Out. This Tiny Family-Run Company Wants to Replace Them With Glass Inc.
As more of the country considers banning plastic straws, ecofriendly straw-makers are gearing up to evangelize their products. Meet one company hoping you'll ...
- Eventbrite Is Going Public After 12 Years and $10 Billion in Ticket Sales Inc.
San Francisco-based Eventbrite has confidentially filed for an initial public offering. The digital-ticketing company is expected to go public before the end of the ...
- 10 Female Founders Whose Innovations Inspire Fast Company
From a cosmetics pioneer a century ago to a startup creating an energy solution for the future, these founders are role models for any entrepreneur.
- There Are 114 Percent More Women Entrepreneurs Than 20 Years Ago and It's Not Necessarily a Good Thing Inc.
In the past 20 years, the number of women-owned firms in the US has increased 114%. Research shows that many women start businesses because it just ...
- Black female founder raises $7 million for renewable energy tech startup TechCrunch
I'd like to tip my imaginary hat off to Jessica O. Matthews, the black female founder and CEO of renewable energy tech startup Uncharted Play. Her company just ...
- Why Now Is the Time for Your Business to Prepare for Black Friday Inc.
Don't be caught unprepared when some of the biggest shopping days of the year hit.
- Harlem-based CEO creates technology to bring renewable energy to communities around the world New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV
Tamsen Fadal sits down with Jessica Matthews to chat about her company, Uncharted Play.
- Looking For Great Business Podcasts For Your Commute? Here Are 9 You Haven't Heard Yet Inc.
There's In-depth strategy, advice, and wisdom for business owners in these (mostly) undiscovered podcasts.
- Move Over, Martin Shkreli. This CEO Says It's His 'Moral' Imperative to Raise a Drug's Price By 400 Percent Inc.
Absurdly Driven looks at the world of business with a skeptical eye and a firmly rooted tongue in cheek. Morals are slippery things. We all claim to have them, but ...
- At the sixth Berkeleyside Uncharted Ideas Festival 'disparate ideas explored and connected' Berkeleyside
More than 40 speakers and performers provoked, challenged and laughed with nearly 500 festivalgoers at the sixth Berkeleyside Uncharted Festival.
- Here's What Amazon Looks For Before Acquiring a Company Inc.
Amazon just posted a record profit of $2.5 billion for the second quarter of the year, but for some who dialed in to the company's earnings call Thursday, even ...
- Tory Burch Wants Women To Know It's Okay To Be Ambitious Fast Company
The entrepreneur's day-long summit will seek to erase negative connotations associated with “ambition,” a term often used to categorize women as difficult.
- Ten years on, in uncharted waters The Hindu
The crises in emerging economies show how vulnerable they remain to the vagaries of U.S. economic policy.
- Food52 Wanted to Design the Perfect Cutting Board, So It Got Feedback From 10000 People Inc.
For the first time, Food52 is creating its own products. It's betting that its community knows best.
- Arlan Hamilton, founder of Backstage Capital, brings diversity to VC Fast Company
With her venture firm, Backstage Capital, and a new $36 million fund for black female founders, Arlan Hamilton is changing entrepreneurship in the U.S..
- The 5 Biggest Mistakes Every New Entrepreneur Makes When Launching a Startup Inc.
Becoming an entrepreneur means you've decided to sign yourself up to learn things the hard way. This is what makes building a company so exciting. It's also ...
- Sheryl Sandberg Just Admitted the Real Lesson of Facebook's Business Model--and It Should Scare You Inc.
Lessons learned from Facebook's customer information troubles and three ways to stay ahead of the changes in the digital economy and its eminent regulatory ...
- As China-U.S. feud enters uncharted territory, Beijing can only blame itself Washington Post
As relations with the U.S. deteriorate, it's important to understand that for the most part China's ruling Communist Party has brought this on itself.
- EBay Owns Just a Slice of the U.S. E-Commerce Market. Here's Why It's Leaning on Brick-and-Mortar Businesses for Help Inc.
Back in March, eBay offered a lifeline to the small town brick-and-mortar shops that have suffered as retail sales have shifted online. The company said it would ...
- Alabama Power's Coosa dam license tossed by court. What's next? Montgomery Advertiser
Alabama Power's seven Coosa River dams generate more than half of the utility company's hydroelectric power. On Monday, the federal license dictating how ...
- How This 60-Year-Old Company Reinvented the Humble Kitchen Whisk Inc.
Best Manufacturers, the sole U.S. maker of kitchen whisks, has innovated everything you can put in a pot.
- Weather Channel Meteorologist Jim Cantore tells PBN next 24 hours 'are critical' Pacific Business News (Honolulu)
His job takes him to some of the most beautiful places on earth, but for Hawaii residents, Jim Cantore's appearance means potential devastation. Cantore is a ...
- List of the Most Influential Blacks in Technology Black Enterprise
Just who are among the most influential blacks in technology? The list presented here includes disruptors and more than a score of others representing a ...
- Join us at IGNITION: Media, Technology & Transformation! INSIDER
Our ninth annual IGNITION: Media, Technology & Transformation conference is just six weeks away, happening at Spring Studios in New York City, December ...
- Announcing IGNITION 2018 speakers Business Insider
Prepare for the year ahead with insights from today's brightest minds. Join us at Business Insider's flagship conference, IGNITION: Media, Technology ...
- Arizona families brave uncharted territory in tiny homes AZCentral
Mike and Mary Beth Partanna of Phoenix own Uncharted Tiny Homes. They offer eight models and a chance at a trendy new lifestyle.
- 10 reasons you should buy a Nintendo Switch instead of the PlayStation 4 Business Insider
There are several good reasons to consider the Nintendo Switch over the PlayStation 4.
- Southwest Airlines Just Made an Eye-Opening Change to Its Service That Passengers Will Love (and No One Noticed) Inc.
It's always quaint when an airline does something that seems to favor passengers.
- There's only one company that seems to be immune to the 'Amazon Effect' — here's how it dominates its industry Business Insider
Amazon has disrupted almost every industry, from healthcare and home improvement, to groceries and real estate. This phenomenon has become known as the ...
- This Woman Wants to Run Harlem's First Billion-Dollar Tech Company Next City
Jessica O. Matthews decided to "create her own table" outside Silicon Valley.
- Uber Gets London License Back--But It's on Probation Inc.com
Uber has won back its London license after a two-day court battle. It's good news for the 3.5 million people who use Uber in London. But Uber isn't out of the ...
- Houston conference empowers women of color in STEM fields Houston Chronicle
Put together by AnitaB.org, a group that supports women in technology, the Grace Hopper Conference in downtown Houston is an annual, three-day event that ...
- Better Brainstorming Harvard Business Review
About 20 years ago I was leading a brainstorming session in one of my MBA classes, and it was like wading through oatmeal. We were talking about something ...
- How Mega Millions changed the odds to create a record-breaking $1.6 billion jackpot The Washington Post
Tuesday's mind-boggling Mega Millions jackpot will draw players hoping to score the largest lottery jackpot in history.
- 2018 Innovators & Disruptors Awards Winners Announced, Powered by New York On Tech PR Newswire
NEW YORK, Sept. 13, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Today New York On Tech, the premiere early pipeline tech talent accelerator working to create pathways to ...
- American Honda And Woven Digital Launch 'Uncharted: Power Of Dreams' Billboard
“Can this 17-year-old re-ignite the golden age of hip-hop?” That intriguing query sets the stage for the premiere episode of Uncharted: Power of Dreams, a joint ...
- 5 Crazy Ways You've Never Thought About Using Drones (but You'll Want To) Inc.
Drone technology has immense potential, and a number of businesses are exploiting that in weird and wonderful ways.
- Do you have what it takes to do an 'Uncharted Expedition'? Treehugger
Ten people. 2200 miles through Central Asia. No itinerary. What will happen?
- These Are Bad Business Buzzwords: Avoid Saying Them. Really. Just Don't Inc.
Entrepreneurs don't have to--and probably shouldn't ever--sound like robots. Here are a few buzzwords to ban from your vocabulary.
- Meet the Investor: Zandre Campos, ABO Capital Disrupt Africa
Angola isn't a regular starting point for many African investors, but it is home for Zandre Campos, chief executive officer (CEO) of ABO Capital. Previously in oil ...
- Why A Bowl Of Macaroni Can Help Make You Millions Inc.
Setting up systems and controls is a pain point for a lot of business owners. Learn how a bowl of macaroni can make you millions and why I encourage all our ...
- This $47 Million Startup Just Reached Its Goal--and Donated 7 Million Pairs of Socks Inc.
When the four co-founders of Bombas created their startup, they wanted to do more than solely sell socks. The entrepreneurs wanted to donate a pair to ...
- Bill Gates Reads 50 Books Per Year. But Only These 6 Leadership Books Made His List of Recommendations Inc.
In a 2016 interview at the New York Times, Bill Gates said that reading is still the "main way that I both learn new things and test my understanding." He told The ...
- How the SmartFlower mimics sunflowers to produce clean solar energy Business Insider
SmartFlower solar panels mimic sunflowers to generate clean solar energy. They track the sun from east to west to be more efficient than other panels.
- Five Strategies to Help You Manage Well Without Authority Inc.
Sandra came to me with questions about a new project she had been assigned to lead. She would be responsible for her teams' performance for the new ...
- Nathan Fillion Made His Own ‘Uncharted’ Fan Film Variety
Hollywood be damned, Nathan Fillion made is own 'Uncharted' fan film.
- Startups founded by black women raised 5x more VC in 2017 PitchBook News & Analysis
US startups founded by black women raised nearly $250 million in venture capital funding in 2017, up from less than $50 million in 2016, according to a new ...
- 7 Inspiring Podcasts That Every Entrepreneur Should Listen to This Summer Inc.
Make the most of your summer with these informative and entertaining podcasts.
- Malaysia Enters Uncharted Territory With Giant-Slaying Opposition Coalition Forbes Now
Malaysia's former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad claimed victory over Prime Minister Najib Razak's ruling coalition, ending the 60-year era of BN dominance.
- FirstEnergy seeks emergency lifeline for U.S. nuclear, coal plants Reuters
U.S. power company FirstEnergy Corp urged the federal government on Thursday to evoke little-used emergency powers to help it keep several struggling ...
- Why Google, Uber, and Facebook Are Flocking to This Quiet Rust Belt City Inc.
This city hosts a Google outpost, language-learning app Duolingo, and serious rivalries in autonomous-car tech.
- 4 Ways to Turn Eye-Glazing Data Into Eye-Opening Stories Inc.
Your company's data can tell you a lot. More important is what it can tell your customers.
- It Was Exactly the Donald Trump Product America Needed. Then the Unthinkable Happened Inc.
Absurdly Driven looks at the world of business with a skeptical eye and a firmly rooted tongue in cheek. We all need our safe spaces. For some, it might be bars ...
- These Men Showed Incredible Patience in the Face of Someone on a Power Trip. Here's What Everyone in Customer Service Can Learn From It Inc.
Absurdly Driven looks at the world of business with a skeptical eye and a firmly rooted tongue in cheek. Police officers are serving the people, right? You might ...