Founded in May 2011 and headquartered in New York City, Uncharted Power is an award-winning, power company. With their proprietary MORE technology, they use renewable kinetic energy solutions to power microgrids for communities, large facilities and the Internet of Things.
Uncharted Power first began as Uncharted Play, a new kind of social enterprise grounded in play and the happiness of life, that would show the world how play could be a tangible tool for inspiring social invention.
In 2008, Founder & CEO Jessica O. Matthews worked on a class project to invent the SOCCKET, an energy generating soccer ball, at Harvard University. Through her work on the project, Jessica quickly realized that the world of play and motion was truly uncharted territory when it came to tangibly addressing real issues facing society. Jessica knew that an enterprise grounded in sustainable, realistic solutions for empowerment had real value.
Building on its foundations with the SOCCKET, the company since evolved to pioneering more innovations within the renewable energy field. Updating the company name to Uncharted Power, it has expanded its focus by developing the technology within the soccer ball, MORE (Motion-based, Off-grid, Renewable Energy), and designing kinetic (motion) energy generating solutions for infrastructure and smart applications.
Uncharted Power’s primary clients are large corporations and governments across Africa, with a particular focus on partners in Nigeria, Rwanda, Angola, Malawi, and Senegal. The company’s main goal is help power the rapidly developing smart communities across the world by utilizing the untapped kinetic energy available in a clean and renewable way.
- Snuffing Out Light Poverty NationSwell
When Jessica O. Matthews was 19, she attended a family wedding in Nigeria. During the ceremony, the power abruptly went out. It rattled Matthews — but not ...
- Trump Wields Presidential Power on Pipeline, Energy Projects U.S. News & World Report
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is eager to jump-start the stalled Keystone XL oil pipeline and other energy projects, and he's taken action to ...
- Zandre Campos Speaks At 13th German-African Energy Forum PRNewswire
NEW YORK, April 11, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- ABO Capital, a leading international investment firm headquartered in Angola, announced today that its CEO ...
- City investigating Portland firm over possible $2 million fraud OregonLive
City of Portland officials believe they have uncovered evidence that the owners of a successful painting company fraudulently obtained certification as a ...
- Free family friendly event at Bardavon in Poughkeepsie on April 2 The Daily Freeman
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. — The city of Poughkeepsie will present a family friendly, free event on Tuesday, April 2, when Jessica O. Matthews, founder and CEO of ...
- 'Uncharted territory': WeChat's new role in Australian public life raises difficult questions ABC News
Australian media companies are being censored on the Chinese social media app WeChat, even as politicians flock to the platform in a bid to attract ...
- Uncharted Power Founder Jessica O. Matthews On Building The Anti-Silicon Valley Energy Startup Forbes
This story is part of a special features series titled CEOs Rising. “My name is Jessica O. Matthews, and I am the founder and CEO of Uncharted Power. I used to ...
- Arnoff, Rossi families to receive Family Services award; PKGO Getters launches Poughkeepsie Journal
Two local families with decades of *service* in the community have been selected as recipients of Family Services' 2019 Family of the Year Awards. The Arnoff ...
- Disney Invests in Company Set to Disrupt Global Power Infrastructure Black Enterprise
Jessica O. Matthews is the founder of Uncharted Power, a company that uses renewable kinetic energy solutions to generate clean, consistent, and cost-efficient ...
- Western governments enter uncharted territory as they grapple with problem of harmful content on social media Business Insider India
Governments around the world, including the UK and Singapore, have moved to take a more active role in deciding what constitutes acceptable *content* In 2018.
- Analysts cheer JSW Energys decision to scrap electric vehicles biz plans Business Standard
When private power producer JSW Energy said on Friday that it had decided to drop an earlier decision to pursue an electric vehicle (EV) business, this was the ...
- Move to online-only sales puts Tesla in 'uncharted territory,' and could push other retailers to dive in Automotive News
In late February, Tesla announced it was shifting to an online-only sales model, which may be one small step for the company, but it could be the first of more ...
- Uncharted Power's Unique Tech Keeps the Lights On PCMag
The recent Disney Accelerator tech day featured a number of intriguing startups, including Hop Skip Drive, but Uncharted Power Founder and CEO Jessica O.
- INTRODUCING: The 10 people transforming how the world interacts with technology Business Insider
Business Insider found the individuals redefining the gadgets, services and companies central to our lives today.
- Inventor and CEO of Uncharted Power, Jessica Matthews, explains everything that's wrong with a 100-year-old energy infrastructure in the US Business Insider
Jessica O. Matthews, founder and CEO of Uncharted Power, presented on the need for a global reconstruction of energy infrastructure as we know it.
- Writers guild sues talent agencies in heated Hollywood fight Charlotte Observer
The Writers Guild of America is suing Hollywood's four biggest talent agencies in the latest and boldest move in an increasingly bitter fight between the two ...
- In Australia, climate policy battles are endlessly reheated The Conversation AU
We've been here before. In fact we've been going round in circles on climate policy for decades, while the temperature (of the debate, as well as the planet) ...
- What You Need to Know About Lyft's IPO Investopedia
At the forefront of Lyft's issues stands its mounting losses, which surged to $911 million in full year 2018.
- Beyonce + Bill Nye = Jessica O. Matthews | About Verizon Verizon Communications
Check out our latest podcast with renewable energy entrepreneur Jessica O. Matthews.
- Trump's tax returns: How Congress might get them PolitiFact
On Fox News Sunday, acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney said Democrats would "never" see President Donald Trump's tax returns. "Voters knew ...
- Eric Musselman Is Entering Uncharted Territory For Mid-Major Coaches MWWire
Eric Musselman Is Entering Uncharted Territory For Mid-Major Coaches How does the offseason unfold for one of the sport's biggest names? Contact/Follow ...
- Idaho governor has unfettered chance to cut state rules Idaho Statesman
Gov. Brad Little's office is reviewing 8200 pages of state-approved rules going back decades without input from the public or lawmakers.
- Preparing for China's Rapid Rise and Decline War on the Rocks
China's rise, one of the defining U.S. national security challenges of our time, has deservedly received attention in each of the last decades-worth of.
- AI pioneer Sejnowski says it’s all about the gradient ZDNet
To machine learning pioneer Terry Sejnowski, the mathematical technique called stochastic gradient descent is the “secret sauce” of deep learning, and most ...
- Pipeline opponents ask judge to strike down Trump's permit Fox Business
Opponents of the long-stalled Keystone XL oil pipeline asked a federal court Friday in a lawsuit to declare President Donald Trump acted illegally when he ...
- Google Stadia has game developers confused, excited, and worried PC Gamer
Cloud gaming is the future of gaming, at least if you ask every major tech company. From Nvidia to Sony and even Walmart, tech giants are racing to build the ...
- Trump Says He Wants Herman Cain, Former Pizza Executive, for Fed Board The New York Times
WASHINGTON — President Trump said on Thursday that he planned to nominate Herman Cain, who abandoned his 2012 presidential bid in the face of ...
- Disney Startups Pitch Exercise in Bid for TV Viewers of Tomorrow Bloomberg
Joanna McFarland knows how to tailor her pitch to her audience. The chief executive officer of Los Angeles-based HopSkipDrive -- a kind of Uber for kids -- told ...
- These Young Female Founders Overcame Rejection To Build High-Growth Businesses From Scratch Forbes
Whether it's a customized playlist to amp your confidence or practicing power poses in between pitch slides, a panel of female Millennial entrepreneurs at the ...
- These Female-Led Startups Are Testing the Boundaries of Science, Technology, and Retail Inc.
Each of these women on Inc.'s Female Founders 100 is in the early stages of pushing her industry forward.
- Philip Lane prepares to take responsibility for avoiding ‘Japanification of Europe’ The Irish Times
European Central Bank chief economist in waiting will take up role amid unprecedented uncertainty.
- Jaw-Jaw: Melanie Hart on Finding Common Ground, While Competing with China War on the Rocks
What is China's vision of a reformed system of global governance? And how can the United States and China find common ground, while still competing with.
- Brexit latest: European Commission says a no-deal Brexit is 'increasingly likely' NBC News
The European Commission said that the United Kingdom leaving the E.U. without a deal is "increasingly likely," despite Brexit being postponed until April.
- Trump Vows to Close Border, Even if It Hurts the Economy The New York Times
WASHINGTON — President Trump acknowledged Tuesday that closing the southern border with Mexico could damage the United States economy, but said ...
- 'The Lehman Trilogy': Can a Jewish Immigrant Family Embody the American Dream? Tablet Magazine
The Lehman Trilogy is the hottest play in town—required viewing for the financial and theatrically minded cognoscenti, the new Hamilton for wealthy New York ...
- Inside Rivian: we visit the pioneering 4x4 electric car brand CAR Magazine
Never heard of Rivian? That's about to change as it launches its mission to conquer the 4x4 heartland with EVs.
- 5 female execs reveal the best question they've asked a mentor NBCNews.com
Questions to ask your mentor: Know Your Value spoke to C-level executives who shared the best advice they received.
- "#UNLOAD: Guns in the Hands of Artists": Decommissioning Gun Violence lareviewofbooks
A powerful artistic exploration of the human costs of gun violence.
- Uncharted Power - MogulWatch Moguldom
Founded in May 2011 and headquartered in New York City, Uncharted Power is an award-winning, power company. With their proprietary MORE technology, ...
- Meet the Genius Black Inventor Who Created the Soccket, an Eco-Friendly Toy for Kids BlackNews.com
Invented by Jessica O. Matthews, the founder of Uncharted Power, the Soccket - an eco-friendly toy for kids - has helped change the lives of hundreds of ...
- How a ‘shadow’ helped set up the Eli Manning-Philip Rivers draft trade SB Nation
With the Chargers' and Giants' trade now 15 years in the rearview mirror, A.J. Smith and Ernie Accorsi share some never-before-revealed details of the Eli ...
- The inventor of the energy-harnessing soccer ball made a huge pivot — and it's paying off big time Business Insider
Jessica O. Matthews started Uncharted Play as a college student. Now, the company has raised the largest Series A of a black woman ever and made a big ...
- Disney Plus: Every show and movie that will (or may be) available to stream CNET
Will your favorite movies or shows be included in Disney's $7-a-month *service*? Here are the ones now confirmed -- and others we've sleuthed out as likely.
- 12 books that CEOs think you should read in 2019 Fast Company
If you're a founder or aspiring entrepreneur, perhaps you're looking to round out your reading list for 2019 with a few inspiring business reads. We asked ...
- Disney to unveil accelerator startups at demo day L.A. Biz
The companies are working in a variety of areas, including social broadcasting, augmented reality and ride hailing.
- Here’s Everything That Will Be Available on Disney+ at Launch TheWrap
Here's what TV shows and movies Disney says its forthcoming direct-to-consumer streaming platform, Disney+, will house at launch.
- Making Tax Digital is as much about cultivating new skill as it is digitalisation ITProPortal
Making Tax Digital is a watershed moment for an industry that has been on the trailing edge of digitalisation, it will take skill to survive the future.
- 14 Venture Firms That Are Helping to Close the Massive Gender Funding Gap Inc.com
Founding teams that include men and women produce dramatically stronger valuation growth than all-male founding teams, according to research from First ...
- These Are The Biggest Innovation Challenges We Must Solve Over The Next Decade Innovation Excellence
Every era is defined by the problems it tackles. At the beginning of the 20th century, harnessing the power of internal combustion and electricity shaped society.
- Take a look at this. | About Verizon Verizon Communications
Support for areas in need, displaying our wins at stores, Krista Bourne hosts a podcast and a little heart and hustle. Support for areas in need, displaying our ...
- 'The electric war': Major power failure in Venezuela leaves much of the country in the dark CNBC
Most of crisis-stricken Venezuela has been hit by an electricity blackout.
- 16 apps and tools that help CEOs stay productive and successful Fast Company
Cut down on email, manage your calendar, find your focus. If these tools work for people at the top of their game, they might be worth a download.
- Meet the Tech Entrepreneur: Jessica O. Matthews Tech in Africa
Jessica O. Matthews is a tech entrepreneur who has won some awards in the tech ecosystem. Mathews discusses renewable energy. She also discusses what it ...
- This Woman Wants to Run Harlem's First Billion-Dollar Startup Entrepreneur
Uncharted Play founder Jessica O. Matthews decided to double down on her founding principles and give back to Harlem.
- 7 social issues CEOs will prioritize in 2019 Fast Company
This year, CEOs will focus their efforts on issues like climate change and sexual misconduct.
- Kenyan Engineer Creates High-Tech Gloves That Turn Sign Language into Speech Black Enterprise
It sounds futuristic—a pair of gloves that translates sign language into speech—but such an invention is indeed a reality. A young engineer from Kenya, Roy ...
- Kinnevik Faces Uncharted Territory After Turbulent Week Bloomberg
The Stenbeck family has spent decades enlarging the influence and wealth of one of Sweden's preeminent corporate dynasties by aggressively shaking up ...
- This Black Woman Founder Is Beating the Odds, Raises $7 Million in Funding Inc.
Jessica O. Matthews, the 29-year-old founder of Uncharted Play, a renewable energy tech startp, is beating the odds. Earlier this week, her company raised $7 ...
- Jessica O Matthews: the entrepreneur bringing renewable energy to the masses The Guardian
Successful entrepreneurs often have an “a-ha” moment, and for Jessica O Matthews, it came at her aunt's wedding in Nigeria. While guests celebrated, the ...
- As an era of self-regulation ends, marketers fear uncharted, risky waters for data privacy Marketing Dive
"For many companies, if you get this wrong, you could very well be out of business," the ANA's Dan Jaffe told Marketing Dive about the upcoming California ...
- Black female founder raises $7 million for renewable energy tech startup TechCrunch
I'd like to tip my imaginary hat off to Jessica O. Matthews, the black female founder and CEO of renewable energy tech startup Uncharted Play. Her company just ...
- How Tottenham measure up to Ajax ahead of semi-final showdown Wiltshire Business
Spurs will face the Dutch side in the last four of the Champions League.
- Mega Millions jackpot enters ‘uncharted territory’ at record $1.6 billion The Washington Post
Yes, that headline is correct: The Mega Millions jackpot is at $1.6 billion. With a B. All eyes were on the latest drawing Friday night, when the jackpot was at an ...
- List of the Most Influential Blacks in Technology Black Enterprise
Just who are among the most influential blacks in technology? The list presented here includes disruptors and more than a score of others representing a ...
- How Karissa Bodnar Built Thrive Causemetics, A Luxury And Mission-Driven Makeup Company Forbes
In her early 20s, Karissa Bodnar worked as a makeup artist, as well as a product developer for the luxury division at L'Oreal. But her cosmetics career took a ...
- Los Angeles ditches plan to invest billions in fossil fuels, Mayor Eric Garcetti says Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles is abandoning a plan to spend billions of dollars rebuilding three natural gas power plants along the coast, Mayor Eric Garcetti said Monday, in a ...
- Startups Founded by Black Women Gaining Momentum Among Investors Next City
When Uncharted Power founder Jessica O. Matthews delivered a pitch to venture capital investors in the fall of 2015, she did it in costume — her company ...
- Sharing systems could help building owners get more from microgrids Energy News Network
In Chicago, a cluster of museums is exploring the case for combining energy systems, but thorny questions remain.
- Inspiring Insight From Women CEOs Forbes
The number of women-owned companies is rising significantly—boosting employment and revenues at a faster clip than the national average. Here, you can ...
- Arctic heads for 'uncharted territory' physicsworld.com
The Arctic is continuing to warm twice as fast as the rest of the planet; air temperatures every year from 2014 to today have been warmer than all previous ...
- Ninja innovators: Who they are, and why CES is the place to find them Las Vegas Sun
This week, the world's most influential technology companies will gather in Las Vegas to showcase the next generation of innovative products and consumer ...
- Far-left Democrats are pushing party into uncharted waters: Varney Fox Business
FBN's Stuart Varney on the impact of far-left candidates on the Democratic Party.
- Meet the Women Behind 7 of Our Favorite Start-Ups PureWow
It takes guts to start your own company. Let us rephrase: It takes a strong, determined and fearless personality to start your own company. So it's no wonder that ...
- WATCH LIVE: Chris Hayes, Barbara Corcoran, and more speak at IGNITION right now INSIDER
IGNITION is Business Insider's flagship conference featuring the biggest names in business, tech, and media.
- She's Got the Power: An Interview With Jessica O. Matthews, by Randi Zuckerberg Creators Syndicate
Meeting Jessica O. Matthews was so incredibly inspiring to me. She's not only solving real problems but also influencing the next generation of female founders.
- 26 Women of Color Diversifying Entrepreneurship in Silicon Valley, Media, and Beyond Vanity Fair
The business world has long been a boys' club. Women C.E.O.s and founders of color make up a small portion of entrepreneurs who have reached the top.
- Maduro faces off with US over Venezuela power struggle Long Island Business News
Violence flared during big anti-government demonstrations across Venezuela on Wednesdsay, and at least seven protesters were reported killed in the ...
- Jessica O. Matthews Shows Off Uncharted Play's Kinetic Energy-Powered Products Inc.com
At Inc.'s GrowCo conference, Uncharted Play founder Jessica O. Matthews showed off her company's kinetic energy-based products and offered a new way of ...
- UPDATE 1-Record-breaking heatwave triggers power cuts on Australia's stressed grid CNBC
To shore up the grid, the Australian Energy Market Operator cut power to Alcoa Corp's Portland aluminum smelter, the biggest consumer in the state of Victoria, ...
- They're Doing It: Awe-Inspiring Black Female Entrepreneurs Entrepreneur
Black female business owners are a booming economic force in the U.S. Here are nine women leading the charge.
- The Tiny Swiss Company That Thinks It Can Help Stop Climate Change The New York Times
Two European entrepreneurs want to remove carbon from the air at prices cheap enough to matter.
- 50 Women-Led Startups That Are Crushing Tech Forbes
2019 will go down in history as the first time we saw a record number of diverse women serving in the US Congress and announcing their candidacy for ...
- African commercial and industrial PV market grows on the back of outages and high tariffs pv magazine International
According to a new report from BloombergNEF, cheap solar energy could benefit many businesses in sub-Saharan Africa. However, regulatory and financial ...
- Octopus invests in G2 sister company Eclipse Power Solar Power Portal
Octopus Investments has made its maiden move into the UK's networks sector, making a multi-million-pound investment into G2 sister company Eclipse Power.
- Trump is venturing into uncharted legal territory as he muses about pardoning himself INSIDER
President Donald Trump's power to grant pardons is broad, but the question of whether a president can pardon themselves has not been tested before — but ...
- A Trump Tax Return Standoff Would Be ‘Uncharted Territory,’ Expert Says Bloomberg
The U.S. government would be in “uncharted territory” if Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin were to block a House request to release President Donald Trump's ...
- American Honda And Woven Digital Launch 'Uncharted: Power Of Dreams' Billboard
“Can this 17-year-old re-ignite the golden age of hip-hop?” That intriguing query sets the stage for the premiere episode of Uncharted: Power of Dreams, a joint ...
- What's Hiding in Your Electric Bill? How Utility Customers Finance Risky Investments Union of Concerned Scientists
The adage, “You have to spend money to make money,” wasn't coined to describe the utility business model, but it sure does describe it well. If I may be allowed ...
- ‘10 Cloverfield Lane’ Director Boards ‘Uncharted’ Movie (EXCLUSIVE) Variety
Dan Trachtenberg has come on to direct Sony Pictures' adaptation of the hit video game "Uncharted" starring Tom Holland.
- Salesforce Adds IoT Insights to Its Field Service CRM Platform Fox Business
Salesforce has announced some new Internet of Things (IoT) capabilities for its *Service* Cloud console to enable companies to automate requests for sending ...
- What to Expect—and Not to Expect—in ExxonMobil's 2019 Climate Risk Report Union of Concerned Scientists
The release of ExxonMobil's 2019 Outlook for Energy and its 2019 Energy and Carbon Summary may come as early as this week. Published in response to ...
- New York state could soon launch wide-ranging investigations of Trump's finances and business deals, which experts say verges into legally uncharted territory Business Insider
In an NBC interview, incoming New York Attorney General Letitia James said she plans to ramp up state probes of matters involving President Trump.
- Trump will declare a national emergency to build his border wall. Here's what could happen next. Business Insider
The White House announced Thursday that President Donald Trump will declare a national emergency to secure more border-wall funds.
- Theresa May warns UK is headed for 'uncharted territory' if MPs defeat her Brexit deal Business Insider
The prime minister tells the Andrew Marr show that she will not delay the vote on her Brexit deal expected on week of 14th.
- 'Black Girl Magic' theme of 20th annual Ford Freedom Awards The Detroit News
The 20th annual Ford Freedom Awards will celebrate "Black Girl Magic" on Tuesday during events at the Detroit Opera House and Charles H. Wright Museum of ...
- Arlan Hamilton, founder of Backstage Capital, brings diversity to VC Fast Company
With her venture firm, Backstage Capital, and a new $36 million fund for black female founders, Arlan Hamilton is changing entrepreneurship in the U.S..
- Small business tax deduction has CPAs scratching their heads Chattanooga Times Free Press
Many small business owners will be in uncharted waters this tax season as they try to determine if they qualify for a deduction that could exempt one-fifth of their ...
- ‘I’m Coming For You, Elon’: Inspiration From This Year’s Grace Hopper Celebration Forbes
Many tech giants consider the Grace Hopper Celebration to be one of their most fruitful speaking and recruiting opportunities.
- In Colorado and across U.S., corporate social responsibility isn’t a trend, it’s a key component of modern business The Denver Post
A 2017 study found that 78 percent of American consumers want businesses to address "important social justice issues," including local job growth, racial ...
- Predictions For The Uncharted Job Market Of The Future Forbes
The rapid ascension of sophisticated technology, global connectedness and a confluence of other factors will make the workforce of the future almost ...