Founded in May 2011 and headquartered in New York City, Uncharted Power is an award-winning, power company. With their proprietary MORE technology, they use renewable kinetic energy solutions to power microgrids for communities, large facilities and the Internet of Things.
Uncharted Power first began as Uncharted Play, a new kind of social enterprise grounded in play and the happiness of life, that would show the world how play could be a tangible tool for inspiring social invention.
In 2008, Founder & CEO Jessica O. Matthews worked on a class project to invent the SOCCKET, an energy generating soccer ball, at Harvard University. Through her work on the project, Jessica quickly realized that the world of play and motion was truly uncharted territory when it came to tangibly addressing real issues facing society. Jessica knew that an enterprise grounded in sustainable, realistic solutions for empowerment had real value.
Building on its foundations with the SOCCKET, the company since evolved to pioneering more innovations within the renewable energy field. Updating the company name to Uncharted Power, it has expanded its focus by developing the technology within the soccer ball, MORE (Motion-based, Off-grid, Renewable Energy), and designing kinetic (motion) energy generating solutions for infrastructure and smart applications.
Uncharted Power’s primary clients are large corporations and governments across Africa, with a particular focus on partners in Nigeria, Rwanda, Angola, Malawi, and Senegal. The company’s main goal is help power the rapidly developing smart communities across the world by utilizing the untapped kinetic energy available in a clean and renewable way.
- Kinnevik Faces Uncharted Territory After Turbulent Week Bloomberg
The Stenbeck family has spent decades enlarging the influence and wealth of one of Sweden's preeminent corporate dynasties by aggressively shaking up ...
- A Trump tax return standoff would be 'uncharted territory' Accounting Today
The U.S. government would be in “uncharted territory” if Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin were to block a House request to release President Donald Trump's ...
- Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti is ditching plans to invest billions in fossil fuels, activists say Newsbug.info
LOS ANGELES —Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti will announce Tuesday that the city is abandoning a plan to spend billions of dollars rebuilding three natural ...
- Maduro foe's next step awaited as power crisis deepens Bonner County Daily Bee
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro gestures as he arrives to the Supreme Court for an annual ceremony that marks the start of the judicial year in Caracas, ...
- Enterprising Malaysian creates a shopping roadmap! New Straits Times
ALTHOUGH Malaysians love the mall culture, there seems to be so many of them these days. Wouldn't it be nice if there were some kind of mall directory where ...
- Octopus invests in G2 sister company Eclipse Power Solar Power Portal
Octopus Investments has made its maiden move into the UK's networks sector, making a multi-million-pound investment into G2 sister company Eclipse Power.
- African commercial and industrial PV market grows on the back of outages and high tariffs pv magazine International
According to a new report from BloombergNEF, cheap solar energy could benefit many businesses in sub-Saharan Africa. However, regulatory and financial ...
- Uncharted Power Founder Jessica O. Matthews On Building The Anti-Silicon Valley Energy Startup Forbes
This story is part of a special features series titled CEOs Rising. “My name is Jessica O. Matthews, and I am the founder and CEO of Uncharted Power. I used to ...
- The Tiny Swiss Company That Thinks It Can Help Stop Climate Change The New York Times
Two European entrepreneurs want to remove carbon from the air at prices cheap enough to matter.
- Government shutdown taking toll on Ohio companies The Columbus Dispatch
The partial shutdown of the federal government is starting to hurt companies that sells goods and services to the government, including companies in Ohio.
- Disney Invests in Company Set to Disrupt Global Power Infrastructure Black Enterprise
Uncharted Power, a company that uses renewable kinetic energy solutions to generate clean, consistent, and cost-efficient power for communities, facilities, and ...
- Inventor and CEO of Uncharted Power, Jessica Matthews, explains everything that's wrong with a 100-year-old energy infrastructure in the US INSIDER
Jessica O. Matthews, founder and CEO of Uncharted Power, presented on the need for a global reconstruction of energy infrastructure as we know it.
- Uncharted Power's Unique Tech Keeps the Lights On PCMag
The recent Disney Accelerator tech day featured a number of intriguing startups, including Hop Skip Drive, but Uncharted Power Founder and CEO Jessica O.
- Venezuela crisis: Major global powers ordered to stop trading oil and gold assets with Maduro CNBC
A coalition group of Latin American countries and Canada has urged the Venezuelan military to sever ties with President Nicolas Maduro.
- How to Maximize Business Potential Through the 6 Ds of Digital Disruption ThomasNet News
The 6 Ds of disruption can act as a compass and map, helping you better navigate today's ever-evolving, increasingly high-tech industrial landscape.
- Uncharted Power Founder Says She's Coming for Elon Musk's Throne Cheddar
By Chloe Aiello. Watch out Elon Musk, Jessica O. Matthews is coming for your spot. The entrepreneur behind renewable company Uncharted Power has been ...
- Hydro Group reaches previously uncharted depths of 650 MSW with approved penetrators OilVoice
Subsea connectivity specialist Hydro Group is the first engineering firm in the world to offer manned submersible electrical penetrators type-approved for ...
- Questions swirl in aftermath of PG&E's bankruptcy filing Mountain View Voice
Pacific Gas & Electric filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Tuesday, throwing the future of the large investor-owned utility, into the hands of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, ...
- Full transcript of "Face the Nation" on February 17, 2019 CBS News
Sen. Lindsey Graham, Sen. Chris Coons, Rep. Will Hurd, Terry McAuliffe, Rachael Bade, David Nakamura, Leslie Sanchez, and Eugene Scott appeared on this ...
- FirstFT: Today’s top stories Financial Times
Your daily briefing on the day's news from the FT and elsewhere.
- iRobot, Grubhub, Broadcom, Intel and Marvell highlighted as Zacks Bull and Bear of the Day Yahoo Finance
For Immediate Release. Chicago, IL – February 15, 2018 – Zacks Equity Research iRobot Corporation IRBT as the Bull of the Day, Grubhub Inc. GRUB as the ...
- Investment pledges nearly double in January 2019 Philippine Star
Project approvals by the Board of Investments took off at the start of the year, surging 91 percent in January from the same month a year ago.
- After 15 years, the Mars Opportunity rover's mission has ended 69News WFMZ-TV
(CNN) - It's time to say goodbye to Opportunity. The Mars rover's team made its last attempt to contact Opportunity on Tuesday night, and it went unanswered.
- Bull of the Day: iRobot (IRBT) Zacks.com
Record revenue over a $1 billion in 2018 proves that home robots aren't just a fad.
- Disney Startups Pitch Exercise in Bid for TV Viewers of Tomorrow Bloomberg
Joanna McFarland knows how to tailor her pitch to her audience. The chief executive officer of Los Angeles-based HopSkipDrive -- a kind of Uber for kids -- told ...
- Venezuela crisis: Why US sanctions will hurt BBC News
The United States announced sanctions this week that are intended to produce the most damage possible to the government of President Nicolás Maduro: the ...
- News Brief: Trump To Declare National Emergency For Border Wall NPR
President Trump says he will sign a border funding compromise to avert a shutdown, but will also declare a national emergency in order to build a border wall.
- These Female-Led Startups Are Testing the Boundaries of Science, Technology, and Retail Inc.
Each of these women on Inc.'s Female Founders 100 is in the early stages of pushing her industry forward.
- The Walt Disney Company to Showcase Several Disney Accelerator Companies at 2018 Demo Day Business Wire
The Walt Disney Company announced the roster of 2018 Disney Accelerator companies that will be presenting at its fifth annual Demo Day tomorrow.
- The DeanBeat: DICE Summit shows the inspirational highs and depressing lows of gaming VentureBeat
Shawn Layden led off this week's DICE Summit with an inspirational speech about the need to focus on quality games, the rise of accessibility for all players, and ...
- Your data is worth billions. Can Newsom make tech giants like Facebook and Google pay up? Fresno Bee
Jaron Lanier thinks you need to get paid. Specifically, he thinks massive tech companies like Amazon, Facebook and Google – which make billions of dollars by ...
- Special Coverage: Trump On Border Wall Funding WCAI
RACHEL MARTIN, HOST: President Trump will be speaking from the Rose Garden shortly. He's expected to declare a national emergency to try and secure ...
- Inspiring Insight From Women CEOs Forbes
The number of women-owned companies is rising significantly—boosting employment and revenues at a faster clip than the national average. Here, you can ...
- The inventor of the energy-harnessing soccer ball made a huge pivot — and it's paying off big time Business Insider
Jessica O. Matthews started Uncharted Play as a college student. Now, the company has raised the largest Series A of a black woman ever and made a big ...
- Gov‘t Shutdown Wreaks More Havoc the Longer It Continues Milbank Monitor
Southwest Airlines' yearlong effort to launch affordable flights to Hawaii is stalled. Craft brewers haven't been able to ship their seasonal beers. Hundreds of ...
- Mega Millions jackpot enters ‘uncharted territory’ at record $1.6 billion The Washington Post
Yes, that headline is correct: The Mega Millions jackpot is at $1.6 billion. With a B. All eyes were on the latest drawing Friday night, when the jackpot was at an ...
- Upheaval in state legislature creates opportunities for lobbyists Times Union
ALBANY — A new legislative session at the Capitol in Albany always presents opportunities for lobbyists and their clients hoping to influence state government.
- Jessica O Matthews: the entrepreneur bringing renewable energy to the masses The Guardian
Successful entrepreneurs often have an “a-ha” moment, and for Jessica O Matthews, it came at her aunt's wedding in Nigeria. While guests celebrated, the ...
- Meet the Tech Entrepreneur: Jessica O. Matthews Tech in Africa
Jessica O. Matthews is a tech entrepreneur who has won some awards in the tech ecosystem. Mathews discusses renewable energy. She also discusses what it ...
- 26 Women of Color Diversifying Entrepreneurship in Silicon Valley, Media, and Beyond Vanity Fair
The business world has long been a boys' club. Women C.E.O.s and founders of color make up a small portion of entrepreneurs who have reached the top.
- How Karissa Bodnar Built Thrive Causemetics, A Luxury And Mission-Driven Makeup Company Forbes
In her early 20s, Karissa Bodnar worked as a makeup artist, as well as a product developer for the luxury division at L'Oreal. But her cosmetics career took a ...
- This Woman Wants to Run Harlem's First Billion-Dollar Startup Entrepreneur
Uncharted Play founder Jessica O. Matthews decided to double down on her founding principles and give back to Harlem.
- Meet the Women Behind 7 of Our Favorite Start-Ups PureWow
It takes guts to start your own company. Let us rephrase: It takes a strong, determined and fearless personality to start your own company. So it's no wonder that ...
- 14 Venture Firms That Are Helping to Close the Massive Gender Funding Gap Inc.com
Founding teams that include men and women produce dramatically stronger valuation growth than all-male founding teams, according to research from First ...
- 7 social issues CEOs will prioritize in 2019 Fast Company
This year, CEOs will focus their efforts on issues like climate change and sexual misconduct.
- 16 apps and tools that help CEOs stay productive and successful Fast Company
Cut down on email, manage your calendar, find your focus. If these tools work for people at the top of their game, they might be worth a download.
- WATCH LIVE: Chris Hayes, Barbara Corcoran, and more speak at IGNITION right now INSIDER
IGNITION is Business Insider's flagship conference featuring the biggest names in business, tech, and media.
- Far-left Democrats are pushing party into uncharted waters: Varney Fox Business
FBN's Stuart Varney on the impact of far-left candidates on the Democratic Party.
- ‘I’m Coming For You, Elon’: Inspiration From This Year’s Grace Hopper Celebration Forbes
Many tech giants consider the Grace Hopper Celebration to be one of their most fruitful speaking and recruiting opportunities.
- Trump is venturing into uncharted legal territory as he muses about pardoning himself INSIDER
President Donald Trump's power to grant pardons is broad, but the question of whether a president can pardon themselves has not been tested before — but ...
- RBA in 'uncharted territory' on falling house prices says deputy governor Guy Debelle The Australian Financial Review
Reserve Bank deputy governor Guy Debelle says the bank was "absolutely" paying attention to falling property prices and could only wait to see what happened ...
- Ninja innovators: Who they are, and why CES is the place to find them Las Vegas Sun
This week, the world's most influential technology companies will gather in Las Vegas to showcase the next generation of innovative products and consumer ...
- 12 books that CEOs think you should read in 2019 Fast Company
If you're a founder or aspiring entrepreneur, perhaps you're looking to round out your reading list for 2019 with a few inspiring business reads. We asked ...
- Jessica O. Matthews Shows Off Uncharted Play's Kinetic Energy-Powered Products Inc.com
At Inc.'s GrowCo conference, Uncharted Play founder Jessica O. Matthews showed off her company's kinetic energy-based products and offered a new way of ...
- This Black Woman Founder Is Beating the Odds, Raises $7 Million in Funding Inc.
Jessica O. Matthews, the 29-year-old founder of Uncharted Play, a renewable energy tech startp, is beating the odds. Earlier this week, her company raised $7 ...
- She's Got the Power: An Interview With Jessica O. Matthews, by Randi Zuckerberg Creators Syndicate
Meeting Jessica O. Matthews was so incredibly inspiring to me. She's not only solving real problems but also influencing the next generation of female founders.
- Black female founder raises $7 million for renewable energy tech startup TechCrunch
I'd like to tip my imaginary hat off to Jessica O. Matthews, the black female founder and CEO of renewable energy tech startup Uncharted Play. Her company just ...
- Meet the Genius Black Inventor Who Created the Soccket, an Eco-Friendly Toy for Kids BlackNews.com
Invented by Jessica O. Matthews, the founder of Uncharted Power, the Soccket - an eco-friendly toy for kids - has helped change the lives of hundreds of ...
- Sharing systems could help building owners get more from microgrids Energy News Network
In Chicago, a cluster of museums is exploring the case for combining energy systems, but thorny questions remain.
- 'Black Girl Magic' theme of 20th annual Ford Freedom Awards The Detroit News
The 20th annual Ford Freedom Awards will celebrate "Black Girl Magic" on Tuesday during events at the Detroit Opera House and Charles H. Wright Museum of ...
- List of the Most Influential Blacks in Technology Black Enterprise
Just who are among the most influential blacks in technology? The list presented here includes disruptors and more than a score of others representing a ...
- In Colorado and across U.S., corporate social responsibility isn’t a trend, it’s a key component of modern business The Denver Post
A 2017 study found that 78 percent of American consumers want businesses to address "important social justice issues," including local job growth, racial ...
- UPDATED: Dominion moves ahead with plan to build a pair of wind turbines off the Virginia coast Richmond.com
NORFOLK — Dominion Energy Virginia is about to map uncharted waters with a $300 million project to research the use of wind power off Virginia's Atlantic ...
- Harlem-based CEO creates technology to bring renewable energy to communities around the world New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV
Tamsen Fadal sits down with Jessica Matthews to chat about her company, Uncharted Play.
- Power and privilege: #MeToo takes Parliament into uncharted waters The Sydney Morning Herald
New South Wales Labor had its “time's up” moment, with the spectacular fall from grace of a party leader last week. Now the state Greens face their own moment ...
- High winds for power generation Phys.Org
Renewable energy sources hold great promise for a future free of fossil fuels, but some forms of renewable energy remain out of reach. Researchers have ...
- Freedom from hardware: Talking to Vertiv's CEO Rob Johnson DatacenterDynamics
Who pays for critical infrastructure, in an everything-as-a-*service* world?
- Chinese Shipbuilding and Seapower: Full Steam Ahead, Destination Uncharted CIMSEC
By Andrew S. Erickson In recent years, China has been building ships rapidly across the waterfront. Chinese sources liken this to “dumping dumplings into.
- New York state could soon launch wide-ranging investigations of Trump's finances and business deals, which experts say verges into legally uncharted territory Business Insider
In an NBC interview, incoming New York Attorney General Letitia James said she plans to ramp up state probes of matters involving President Trump.
- Trump will declare a national emergency to build his border wall. Here's what could happen next. Business Insider
The White House announced Thursday that President Donald Trump will declare a national emergency to secure more border-wall funds.
- Vestas predicts renewables 'will muddle through' policy abyss The Australian Financial Review
Wind turbine supplier Vestas says the state-led, piecemeal approach on energy policy will compromise the efficiency of renewables investment.
- The greatest story ever told: Yours dvm360
While speakers at Uncharted's Get Sh*t Done conference talked about branding, hiring and personnel management, they seemed to be telling a story about the ...
- 10 reasons you should buy a Nintendo Switch instead of the PlayStation 4 Business Insider
There are several good reasons to consider the Nintendo Switch over the PlayStation 4.
- “We Had Gone Back 20 Years.” The Heads of Puerto Rico's Largest Media Company on Life After Hurricane Maria HBR.org Daily
When Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico in September 2017, it became one of the deadliest storms ever to hit the island. Nearly 3,000 people were killed and ...
- US shutdown becomes longest in history; sends economy into uncharted waters Business Standard
The US government shutdown on Saturday became the longest in history and is taking a growing bite out of the world's largest economy with each passing day, ...
- Video: Making games better with psychology, the Uncharted way Gamasutra
In this GDC 2012 session, Richard Lemarchand (formerly of Naughty Dog) tries to dispel some of the confusion about how video games keep players engaged.
- 'Uncharted waters': Wall Street grows antsy as shutdown threat to stocks intensifies Financial Post
Though U.S. equities have historically done well after shutdowns, this one 'has lasted an unprecedented amount of time with no end in sight'
- Super Bowl planners: Shutdown brings 'uncharted territory' PAHomePage.com
ATLANTA (AP) - A day after travelers waited nearly 90 minutes in snail-speed security lines at the world's busiest airport, Atlanta's mayor is concerned about the ...
- In-Depth: Huawei's Odyssey Heads Into Uncharted Waters Caixin Global
In-Depth: Huawei's Odyssey Heads Into Uncharted Waters - Globalization strategy of Chinese telecom equipment giant runs into national security concerns over ...
- With Fed rate cut and volatile markets, we're in uncharted waters and investors unhappy The Australian Financial Review
Monetary tightening is like trying to pull a brick across a rough surface with elastic: nothing happens; still nothing happens; then it snaps fast to hit you in the face.
- Energy efficiency is good for consumers. And for the planet? The Economist
ON OCTOBER 19TH the International Energy Agency reported that doubling world GDP by 2040 would require only a small rise in energy demand if everyone ...
- American Honda And Woven Digital Launch 'Uncharted: Power Of Dreams' Billboard
“Can this 17-year-old re-ignite the golden age of hip-hop?” That intriguing query sets the stage for the premiere episode of Uncharted: Power of Dreams, a joint ...
- ‘10 Cloverfield Lane’ Director Boards ‘Uncharted’ Movie (EXCLUSIVE) Variety
Dan Trachtenberg has come on to direct Sony Pictures' adaptation of the hit video game "Uncharted" starring Tom Holland.
- The legal battle over Trump’s D.C. hotel could be entering uncharted territory PBS NewsHour
A ruling on a lawsuit over the Emoluments Clause and Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C. could push the case into unchartered legal territory.
- How to lead during times of change Quartz at Work
In the last 18 months, my company has changed its name from the Unreasonable Institute to Uncharted, changed its business model, lost two-thirds of its ...
- Mobius: We Are in Uncharted Waters Bloomberg
Mark Mobius, partner and co-founder of Mobius Capital Partners, discusses the rising trade tensions between the U.S. and China and the winners and losers ...
- Apple offers veterans 10 percent discount via new online store Fox News
Apple has launched a new online store for US veterans and active military members that offers a 10 percent discount on company products.
- As Hawaii Aims for 100% Renewable Energy, Other States Watching Closely Scientific American
Scientific American is the essential guide to the most awe-inspiring advances in science and technology, explaining how they change our understanding of the ...
- 10 Female Founders Whose Innovations Inspire Fast Company
From a cosmetics pioneer a century ago to a startup creating an energy solution for the future, these founders are role models for any entrepreneur.
- As China-U.S. feud enters uncharted territory, Beijing can only blame itself Washington Post
As relations with the U.S. deteriorate, it's important to understand that for the most part China's ruling Communist Party has brought this on itself.
- Into Uncharted Territory: Retail Transformation and its Impact on Digital Infrastructure DatacenterDynamics
The global retail industry is undergoing digital transformation (DX) as new business strategies, processes and technologies are adopted to support a more ...
- At the sixth Berkeleyside Uncharted Ideas Festival 'disparate ideas explored and connected' Berkeleyside
More than 40 speakers and performers provoked, challenged and laughed with nearly 500 festivalgoers at the sixth Berkeleyside Uncharted Festival.
- The Tory Burch Foundation's Embrace Ambition Summit Refinery29
An A-list group of experts gathered at the Tory Burch Foundation's inaugural Embrace Ambition Summit to dispel gendered myths about go-getters.
- The Digital World Faces Uncharted Waters, Too Electronic Design
How should one operate in the current political, social, and economic climate while keeping pace with technological change? Here's Objective Analysis' ...
- Alabama Power's Coosa dam license tossed by court. What's next? Montgomery Advertiser
Alabama Power's seven Coosa River dams generate more than half of the utility company's hydroelectric power. On Monday, the federal license dictating how ...
- Arizona families brave uncharted territory in tiny homes AZCentral
Mike and Mary Beth Partanna of Phoenix own Uncharted Tiny Homes. They offer eight models and a chance at a trendy new lifestyle.
- Huawei arrest just made companies like Apple less valuable, Jim Cramer says CNBC
Jim Cramer warns that the arrest of a top Huawei executive automatically makes U.S. technology companies with business in China less valuable.
- The Hollywood Reporter 100: The Most Powerful People in Entertainment 2018 Hollywood Reporter
The annual pecking order of the most powerful people in Hollywood is revealed as Disney's Bob Iger leads the list, the Murdochs tumble from the Top 10 and ...
- Small business tax deduction has CPAs scratching their heads SF Gate
NEW YORK (AP) — Millions of small business owners will be in uncharted waters this tax season as they try to determine if they qualify for a deduction that could ...
- Uproxx Media Group Lays Off Staffers, Including Some Writers, To Focus On “High Growth Areas” Tubefilter
Uproxx Media Group recently laid off somewhere between 14 and 20 staffers, some of whom were part of the media company's writing department. This is part of ...