Sheena Allen Apps
Sheena Allen Apps is an independent mobile application company that was started by Sheena Allen in July 2011. Allen started the company as a senior at the University of Southern Mississippi. The company was run out of the apartment of Sheena Allen until she moved from Mississippi to startup-friendly city, Austin, TX in September 2013.
The company, as of April 2014, is home to the following six apps: 1. Orange Snap (photo) – iOS 2. Dubblen (photo) – iOS / Android 3. InstaFunds (finance) – iOS Universal 4. PicSlit (photo) – iOS / Android 5. TwtBooth (social networking) – iOS Universal 6. Words on Pics (photo) – iOS
- CapWay's Finance App Aims to Help the More Than 30 Million Americans Who Are 'Underbanked' Inc.
Sheena Allen grew up in a one-bank town where lots of people relied on payday lenders. She's building her company to help those she grew up with.
- Investors Are Suing Lyft Over its IPO, Making its Very Bad Month Even Worse Inc.
There's more bad news for Lyft: Investors are suing the ridesharing company, claiming it intentionally exaggerated its market position during its IPO process in ...
- When Notre Dame Started Burning, My Company's Productivity Tanked. Here's Why That's Exactly Right. Inc.
It's getting harder and harder to maintain the illusion that we're not all deeply human. The beloved Parisian icon Notre Dame burned on Monday and news ...
- How a 'Horrendous' Candy That So Many People Hate Became a Best-Selling Easter Treat (Year After Year After Year) Inc.
Maybe there's no such thing as bad publicity. Perhaps it's better for people to hate your business than to pay it no attention. Case in point: Peeps, the highly ...
- 50000 Employees Say These Are America's 2 Best Employers. Here's the 1 Incredible Thing They Have in Common Inc.
Absurdly Driven looks at the world of business with a skeptical eye and a firmly rooted tongue in cheek. The most painful words for many American employees ...
- 5 Things This Woman Leader Wished Someone Had Told Her Before Becoming a CEO Inc.
Women leaders, whether at startups, corporations, or as entrepreneurs, face unique challenges. Insights from a woman CEO are illuminating.
- These 2 Theranos Whistleblowers Launched an Organization That Teaches Ethical Practices to Entrepreneurs Inc.com
Theranos, the failed billion-dollar startup now facing criminal charges, was largely brought down with the help of whistleblowers within the blood-testing ...
- WeWork Says It Lost $2 Billion Last Year. Is Its Strategy Brilliant or Insane? Inc.
I've been spending time at a WeWork recently, working through a startup that my business partner and I hope to launch later this year. More to come on the ...
- Facebook Is Likely Going to Send You an Important Email Soon. Here's Why You Should Do What It Says Inc.
Don't just dismiss the form letter you'll probably be getting from the social giant.
- Will Place-Making Usurp the Modern Corporate Office? Inc.
The idea of place-making began in the '60s as a concept for urban planning and an initiative to bring a sense of identity and atmosphere to a pedestrian area.
- Mississippi App Guru Sheena Allen to Appear in New Documentary â€˜She Started Itâ€™ Black Enterprise
Sheena Allen is a successful black, female, tech company founder whose apps have been downloaded thousands of times.
- Young women encouraged to become entrepreneurs Meridian Star
Kaela Newell's dream of owning her own hair salon could one day become a reality, thanks to what she learned from Sheena Allen Friday afternoon.
- This app wants to bring banking to the unbanked CNN
Growing up in Terry, Mississippi, Sheena Allen didn't spend much time in banks. The small town, located 17-miles south of Jackson, only had one bank branch ...
- Sheena Allen Jackson Free Press
On Thursday, March 8, at 7 p.m., Fuse will premier the two-hour documentary "She Started It," which follows the lives of five women tech entrepreneurs, including ...
- USM grad Sheena Allen doesn't fit Silicon Valley stereotype, still finds high-tech success Hattiesburg American
Sheena Allen knew the Silicon Valley CEO stereotype when she moved out west a few years ago. She knew that stereotype looked very little like her. She came ...
- ESSENCE Network: From App to Empire, How One Black Woman Found Success in Tech Essence.com
Sheena Allen was in college when she had her first idea for a mobile app to help organize her money. Now with more than one million downloads of her digital ...
- Southern Miss Alumna Sheena Allen Serving Underbanked | Southern Miss Southern Miss Now
Sheena Allen knew the Silicon Valley CEO stereotype when she moved out west a few years ago. She knew that stereotype looked very little like her. She came ...
- Breaking the code: App guru Sheena Allen shares her tech journey Rolling Out
Photo by Fillmore Harvard, courtesy of Sheena Allen. Psychology major and serial tech entrepreneur Sheena Allen has created a unique niche in technology.
- What is the "black tax," and who does it impact? Fast Company
There are plenty of obstacles for professionals and entrepreneurs of color: a wage gap, a funding gap, and plenty of discrimination. But for many there's also an ...
- The Rising Black Founders Building In the South hypepotamus.com
In honor of Black History Month, Hype has put together a list of the South's next top black founders. Meet these inspiring entrepreneurs.
- USM, Craig Newmark Philanthropies Host Speaking Tour to Encourage More Women to Enter High-Tech Fields Southern Miss Now
In an effort to increase interest and diversity in technology fields and computer science, The University of Southern Mississippi and Craig Newmark ...
- Amazon Is Launching a New Supermarket Chain in U.S. Cities Inc.
The new stores, which could open later this year, are not meant to compete with Whole Foods.
- App developer brings tech startup to downtown Jackson Jackson Clarion Ledger
African-American. Female. Mississippian. Few in the nation's leading tech hubs can check off all three categories.
- Businesses Are Selling Fast, But This New Survey Says the Trend Might Not Last Long Inc.
Entrepreneurs who are considering selling their companies say they're worried about the future of the economy.
- This Iconic Company Has Roots Going Back to 1853. Now, It's Just Filed to Go Public Inc.
More than 160 years of history. And it all comes down to this (again).
- Meet The Founders Of The New Mobile Drinking App Alchomy, Amanda Spann And Sheena Allen Madame Noire
Amanda Spann and Sheena Allen discuss their app alchomy and what it's like being Black women in tech.
- Uber's Latest Initiative Is Genius and Hardly Anyone Is Noticing It Inc.
Uber is known as a disruptor to the taxi industry. However, uber is quietly gearing up to take over another industry, in which no one is noticing.
- The CEO of Boeing Just Issued an Extraordinary Statement About the Company's 737 MAX Aircraft Inc.
Southwest Airlines has 34 Boeing 737 MAX airplanes. American has 24 and United 14. They're all grounded until further notice.
- The (Millennial) Workplace of the Future Is Almost Here -- These 3 Things Are About to Change Big Time Inc.
In the coming years and decades, the tools you use at the office will change, and so will the workspace and culture.
- Did You Catch Michael Cohen's Testimony? Here's the Staggering Amount of Time and Money Americans Spent On Watching It Inc.
Did you check out the Michael Cohen testimony yesterday? I didn't see a minute in real time myself, as I was busy in meetings and trying to run my business all ...
- How to Avoid These 6 Unintended Consequences of Using AI at Your Company Inc.
Everyone has heard about the big potential for using artificial intelligence (AI) to expand your business, but many of the small businesses I mentor are still wary ...
- Procter & Gamble Acquired Tristan Walker's Startup for Millions Today. This is Why Diversity Sells Inc.
Procter & Gamble just acquired Walker & Company, Tristan Walker's people of color-focused startup. Here's why more will spend millions on diversity.
- Trump Says Changes to H1-B Visas Are Coming Inc.
Trump says he wants to stop H-1B visas from being used as a "cheap labor program."
- A New Ranking Shows the U.S. Is the 35th Healthiest Country. It's Causing a Slump in Business, Too Inc.
With an overabundance of resources and tools available, the U.S. on paper, is a country that "should" be leading the way as far as healthy living is concerned.
- 6 Apps, 2 Million Downloads, How Sheena Allen Beat the Odds Atlanta Black Star
A woman in a field dominated by men, Black in an industry that is overwhelmingly White, and a Mississippi native, Sheena Allen is not your average tech.
- If You Consider Yourself Paranoid About Your Business, It's a Good Thing -- Here's Why Inc.
As an entrepreneur, paranoia can be a good thing. If you can harness it.
- Rebranding 101: Why You Never Give Your Company the Same Name as an International Hacking Ring Inc.
This 10-year-old creative agency was in the midst of a massive $150000 rebranding effort when an email from Google halted everything.
- Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg Burn Facebook's Remaining Shreds of Reputation Inc.
It's hard to see how current management can pull the company and culture out of this spiral.
- If You Fear The Loss Of Privacy Online, Facebook's Latest Move Should Terrify You Inc.
If you fear the conversation about the loss of privacy, which has brought companies such as Facebook to the forefront of our collective psyche, then this should ...
- The CEO of Delta Air Lines Just Went on LinkedIn and Made a Truly Stunning Confession Inc.
This week, we observed the one-year anniversary of the evil, senseless, tragic mass murder at Parkland High School in Florida. That timeline also means we're ...
- The Government Shutdown Is Hurting Small and Midsize Businesses. Here's What You Can Do About It Inc.
Since the end of December, thousands of small and midsize businesses have not been able to get their loans processed by the Small Business Administration ...
- Shark Tank, Elon Musk, and a Lesson in 'How Not to Lay People Off' Inc.
Sunday night, Shark Tank is back, with the the premiere of its 10th season. Inc.'s Emily Canal dove deep into the show and its effect on the startups that appear ...
- You Can Make This One Simple Change and Immediately Become More Productive (It Only Takes a Second) Inc.
By this point, it's pretty well known that the always-on, globally-connected device you carry around with you is an endless source of distraction and has even ...
- Shake Shack Founder Danny Meyer Says This Is the Secret to Connecting With People Inc.
The high-profile restaurant CEO has a secret trick he plays in his mind in order to make people feel special.
- 4 Ways Partnering With Local Schools Can Help Your Business Inc.
For business leaders, back to school season is an ideal time to consider partnering with a local school, whether you're talking about an elementary school, ...
- Record Surge in Businesses Applying for Seasonal H-2B Immigrant Workers Breaks Government Website Inc.
Hungry to meet seasonal hiring goals, U.S. employers requested more than 96,000 H-2B visas in New Year's Day--this despite experiencing plenty of ...
- 25 Oprah Winfrey Quotes That Will Empower You (and Make You Laugh) Inc.
You probably know Oprah Winfrey as one of the most prominent billionaires on the planet. Did you also know she was fired from her first job as a reporter, ...
- Mark Zuckerberg's Changing Visions Prove He Is No Visionary Inc.
There's a thing that Mark Zuckerberg liked to do on Facebook's quarterly earnings calls, back before the unofficial topic of every call was "What We're Doing to ...
- Police Arrested a Man in a McDonald's Parking Lot. What the McDonald's Staff Did Next Was Extraordinary Inc.
Many would have said no. These two McDonald's staff members had a heart.
- This May Be the Best Piece of Email Marketing You'll See This Week (and Maybe Even This Year) Inc.
Absurdly Driven looks at the world of business with a skeptical eye and a firmly rooted tongue in cheek. Sell, sell, sell. That's America. The problem is that poor ...
- Your Ultimate Guide to Business Ghostwriting Inc.
Searching for the ideal writer to craft your unique business success story? Start here.
- Steve Jobs Said 1 Powerful Habit Separates Successful People From Everyone Else (and Will Drastically Change Your Life) Inc.
It's as applicable today as it was when Jobs said it nearly 25 years ago.
- Nascar Driver Brad Keselowski's New Startup: Engineering the Next Generation of High-Tech Manufacturing Inc.
NASCAR Champion Brad Keselowski just launched a new business, Keselowski Advanced Manufacturing. Here's why.
- Well, This is Awkward. Juul, the E-Cig Company, Just Had to Ban Vaping in Its Own Offices Inc.
An in-office perk is no more at Juul, the wildly successful e-cigarette company.
- Alaska Credit Union Will Be the First Financial Institution to Serve $55 Billion Cannabis Industry Inc.
It had to happen eventually and now it has. After years of being shunned by banks everywhere in the U.S. and operating on a cash-only basis, a few cannabis ...
- 4 Amazon Seller Scams You Should Watch Out For Inc.
Bad actors are flooding Amazon.com with fake reviews and reporting legitimate items as counterfeits.
- In a World Dominated by Amazon, Costco Continues to Thrive. Here's How They Do It Inc.
A lot has changed in the world of retail over the past few decades. While legacy stores like Sears and Toys "R" Us have gone bankrupt and are left for dead, ...
- 4 Books About Sports That Will Inspire You in Business Inc.
These four books from some of the sports world's top luminaries can show you how to win in business.
- A Study of 2.7 Million Startups Found the Ideal Age to Start a Business (and It's Much Older Than You Think) Inc.
If you're in your 40s or 50s, you might think it's too late to start a business. Wrong: It's actually the perfect time.
- WeWork Is Burning Through Cash to Grow. Here's Why That's Good for Entrepreneurs Inc.
The office leasing company helps freelancers and startups get off the ground, but small businesses can also take advantage of WeWork's services.
- Gillette's #MeToo Ad Is Stoking Controversy. Every Entrepreneur Should Learn From It Inc.
They say that two things you should not discuss in a business setting are religion and politics. The reason for that advice is that people who disagree about those ...
- How BurnAlong Is Pioneering a New Approach to Wellness (That Actually Sticks) Inc.
This new year, an estimated 45 percent of Americans resolved to get in shape. And by February, approximately 80 percent of them will have reverted to their old ...
- Amazon's Whole Foods Just Made a Massive Strategic Decision. No One Saw It Coming Inc.
This is a radical change of direction. How will customers see it?
- 4 Reasons Business School Is Worth It Inc.
While household names like Oprah Winfrey, Steve Jobs, and Richard Branson never went to business school, that doesn't mean you should follow their path.
- Stephen Curry Promised a 9-Year-Old His Under Armour Shoes Would Come in Girls Sizes. What He Did Next Was Truly Brilliant Inc.
Absurdly Driven looks at the world of business with a skeptical eye and a firmly rooted tongue in cheek. It's alright having a beatific smile and an astonishing ...
- 5 Burning Questions for Institutional Investors in 2019 Inc.
As you contemplate the decisions you made over the past year, you're likely asking yourself these five important questions--the answers to which will drive your ...
- The Warriors' Klay Thompson Was Asked a Simple Question About Basketball. In a Few Words, He Gave a Brilliant Lesson in Emotional Wisdom Inc.
You don't always expect sports stars to be fountains of maturity.
- Keurig Is Now Selling a Pod Machine That Makes Cocktails Inc.
You may soon be able to serve cocktails to yourself and your friends by putting a pod into a Keurig-style machine and pushing a button. Drinkworks, a joint ...
- This Is the No. 1 Productivity Hack, According to a Big Study (Here's What Happened When I Tried It) Inc.
Productivity hacks are a dime a dozen. This one's worth a little investment.
- This Entrepreneur Developed a Winning Formula for Viral Videos. Here it is in 3 Steps Inc.
Business owners want to know how to make their video *content* viral and drive business growth. This entrepreneur knows how to get millions of views.
- Want to Grab Someone's Attention? These Polar Vortex-Stricken Scientists Have Figured it Out Inc.
Just how frigid is the polar vortex dropping a blast of cold air on the Midwest this week? Depending on who you listen to you, it's colder than Alaska, the North ...
- The College Bribery and Cheating Scandal is Really a Sign of HR Failure Inc.
You've heard now how CEOs and Movie stars manipulated the system, bribed people, made up sports teams, and arranged for their kids to cheat on SATs and ...
- America's Air Traffic Controllers Just Sued President Trump. Here's the Truly Astonishing Part of the Lawsuit Inc.
Absurdly Driven looks at the world of business with a skeptical eye and a firmly rooted tongue in cheek. I'm beginning to sense that not everyone is as ...
- Remarkable Dad Books 6 Delta Air Lines Flights to Spend Christmas With His Flight Attendant Daughter Inc.
Dedicated dad Hal Vaughan made sure his Delta flight attendant daughter Pierce Vaughan didn't spend Christmas by herself this year.
- 5 Simple Steps to Do a Spring Cleaning on Your Mind Inc.
With the official start of spring finally here, you might be feeling the urge to pull out your rubber gloves, roll up your sleeves, and give your living space a good top ...
- 30 AND UNDER: The tech industry's rising stars in 2018 Business Insider
BI PRIME: From crypto to AI, these innovators are changing the world, and they're all ages 30 and under.
- The Apps 27 High Achievers Use Every Day Inc.
Think about the apps you use most often. Do they help you get more work done, stay heathy, relax, or save time and money? Here's a *fresh* list of apps more ...
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Hits Trump Tariffs With Opposition Campaign Inc.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is launching a campaign to oppose President Donald Trump's trade tariffs, arguing that he's risking a global trade war that ...
- Amazon's Negotiations With Virginia Included a New Name for the HQ's Area, But It's Confusing Everyone Inc.
Economic development officials renamed the area "National Landing" as a way to describe multiple areas.
- It's Tough to Get Venture Capital If You're Not a White Guy. Now There's a Game-Changing Solution Inc.
Venture capital isn't the only game in town anymore when it comes to investing in startups. Success is spreading.
- CES 2019 Is Almost Over. Here Are the 3 Most Important Trends for Every Entrepreneur to Know Inc.
The 2019 Consumer Electronics Show is wrapping up. Here are lessons learned and how to take them back with you to improve your business.
- Neuroscientists Show How Taking Slow Deep Breaths Alters Brain Function--and Makes You Calm Inc.
If you're stressed or traumatized, if you have to do something frightening or difficult, if you're having trouble concentrating, or if you just can't fall asleep, what's ...
- This Avoidable Situation Is Costing U.S. Businesses $11 Billion Every Single Year Inc.
Employee turnover is on the rise but it is entirely avoidable.
- The UK Is Looking to Tax Internet Giants Like Facebook and Google for Public Services Inc.
Britain's Treasury chief wants to be sure profitable tech giants pay for their share of public services.
- In SEC Deal, Elon Musk Steps Down as Tesla Chair for 3 Years. If He'd Faced Reality, It Could Have Been 2 Inc.
he Securities and Exchange Commission announced that it has settled its lawsuit against Elon Musk. In the agreement, Musk will step down as chairman of ...
- My Business Philosophy: A Lesson From the Growth Cycle of the Giant Moso Tree Inc.
It takes a special kind of tenacity to persevere when you don't get visible results. Do you have the patience to grow your business like a moso tree?
- Elon Musk Is Apparently the 'Nothing' of Tesla Now. What Would Work Look Like Without Titles? Inc.
Elon Musk's recent decision to remove his title at Tesla got the whole world thinking what it would be like if bosses didn't exist. On Monday night, Musk tweeted:.
- The Government Made a Huge Decision Affecting Millions of Americans' Taxes. Here's Why So Few People Even Noticed Inc.
Fellow humans, we're beautiful. But we're not always logical. We should take pride in that. It explains some things, too. Like, why we're all getting upset over ...
- Southwest, United, and American Airlines Flight Attendants Just Came Out Against an 'Absolutely Absurd' Failure. (Now We'll See if It Matters) Inc.
'It is absolutely absurd that the FAA won't ground the flights.'
- Remember Brexit? It Hasn't Happened Yet and It's Already a Horrible Mess Inc.
It's been two and a half years since the British electorate voted by a very narrow margin to leave the European Union, a move that's referred to as "Brexit.
- Amazon Says It's Fixing the Big Problem With Its $15 Pay Promise (And Just in Time) Inc.
When Amazon announced it was increasing the minimum wage that Amazon employees in the U.S. would make to at least $15 an hour earlier this month, its ...
- A Man Wrote PayPal to Say His Wife Had Died. The Company's Response Was Heartless Inc.
Hopefully, PayPal learned its lesson--but it's a chance for your company to learn, too.
- Here's the Secret Advantage Netflix Says Helps It Stand Out and Attract Top Talent (It's Quite Brilliant) Inc.
It's not just new *content*. It's not just a big budget. It's how everything works together to attract the most valuable asset.
- Two American Airlines Flight Attendants Got Into a Fight on a Flight. The Lawsuit is an Eye-Opener Inc.
Never imagine that the cabin crew are all best friends.
- 'Apollo 11': An Inside Look at How the First Man on the Moon Prevailed in Completely Uncharted Territory Inc.
A new documentary about the Apollo 11 mission features never-before-seen footage of the first team to land on the moon.
- A Top Harvard Astronomer Thinks He's Found Proof of Aliens, and He Refuses to Back Down. Is He Smart or Just Stubborn? Inc.
Meet Avi Loeb. His academic credentials are basically beyond reproach: a Harvard science professor who is also the chair of the Harvard Astronomy department ...
- Apple, Amazon, and Google Want to Help Small Businesses Succeed--But Not Too Much Inc.
Giant tech companies love founders. Until they start getting too successful.
- Next Year, Almost Half Your Phone Calls Will Be Scams and Spam, a New Study Says Inc.
As if you needed another reason not to answer the phone.
- 'Extreme Dissatisfaction': Here's Why American Airlines Flight Attendants Are Protesting in 15 Airports This Weekend Inc.
It's the busiest travel week of the year. Now, American Airlines flight attendants say they'll kick it off with a nice, big protest in 15 of the airline's most important ...
- Got a product to sell? Walmart wants to give you your big break Hattiesburg American
Walmart is looking for Mississippi entrepreneurs to pitch their products at an open call June 13.