Ovamba Solutions, Inc.
Ovamba innovates technologies to help SMEs in Africa & other emerging markets to grow, & provides them with short term capital.
Ovamba created a culturally astute risk measuring algorithm to better understand and serve Africans with financial services and capital for growth. They also created a natural language chatbot which allows Africans who do not speak english, french or Arabic to be able to apply for funding from Ovamba in their own language and receive business coaching to help them grow and run better businesses. The model blends Sharia & ethical business elements with eCommerce, logistics & warehousing to deliver full end-to-end services help grow SMEs operating in the trade sector. Ovamba also funds commodities and exports.
Ovamba was founded in 2013 in the US by long-time friends, Viola Llewellyn and Marvin Cole, who saw an opportunity to help empower fellow entrepreneurs in Africa and the Middle East by providing them with the access to finance needed in order to flourish their businesses. The problem they were solving was twofold; firstly, banks were slow and ill-equipped to adapt to meet the demands of fast moving African small businesses; and secondly, banks’ limited due diligence procedures made it hard for entrepreneurs with no previous track record to get started.
Marvin and Viola decided to combine their experience of the finance and technology sectors and build a platform that would offer fast access to business growth support delivered via mobile phone. Complementing its world-class technology, the platform further set itself apart by offering the ability to analyse real-time risk in Africa based on deep traditional and cultural knowledge from on-the-ground teams, thereby creating a system of both technical and local know-how.
In 2014, Ovamba attracted significant investment from UK-based GLI Finance, whose backers include Blackrock Global, AXA Investment Managers and Barclays Wealth. Ovamba then set up its first operations in Cameroon – a country with over 200 local languages, Muslim and Christian communities, and an economy almost entirely comprised of SMEs. It was the perfect place to prove the model.
With a strong track record of successful transactions, in 2016 Ovamba attracted further investment from other investment platforms, such as Japan’s leading fintech emerging markets investor – Crowdcredit. This has enabled Ovamba to expand its operations into multiple geographies.
- The journey so far: Viola Llewellyn, president, Ovamba Solutions How we made it in Africa
Viola Llewellyn is the co-founder and the president of Ovamba Solutions, a US-based fintech company that provides micro, small and medium enterprises in ...
- Mottos and mantras from our 2019 Minority Business Leader Awards honorees Washington Business Journal
As each of our 28 Minority Business Leader Award honorees posed for their portraits this year, we asked them to write down a word, phrase or quote that was ...
- Report: Despite gains, most black, female startup founders still get no funding Baltimore Business Journal
Viola Llewellyn is one of the few black, female company founders nationwide that has been able to surpass the $1 million venture funding mark.
- How Fintech Should Help to Close the Gender Gap in Business Lending Crowdfund Insider
The number of women-owned businesses has been steadily increasing globally. Despite this, accessing finance to start or grow their business remains a.
- Akorn CEO Steps Down After Loss of $4.3 Billion Fresenius Deal Fortune
Akorn Inc.'s CEO stepped down after the Delaware Supreme Court ruled that a rapid downturn in its business was grounds for Fresenius SE to walk away from a ...
- The most innovative startups in the world, according to the World Economic Forum Business Insider
From AI to blockchain, the World Economic Forum has determined which companies are making "world changing" technologies.
- Here's Why Eventbrite's Shares Plunged 27% Fortune
Eventbrite's stock fell 27% after CEO Julia Hartz said revenue and earnings disappointed and CFO Randy Befumo would step down as CFO.
- U.S. CEOs Are More Worried About Cybersecurity Than a Possible Recession Fortune
For most of the world's CEOs, a potential recession was a much bigger worry than cybersecurity.
- Google Removes Controversial Gay Conversion App from Play Store Fortune
Google is pulling a so-called gay conversion app from its Play Store, after facing backlash and pressure from LGBTQ rights advocates. The app was developed ...
- Luxembourg House of Fintech Launches Catapult, Targeting Fintech Companies in Africa Crowdfund Insider
The Luxembourg House of Fintech (LHoFT) is launching a new initiative which focuses on Fintech companies in Africa seeking to boost financial inclusion.
- While Amazon's HQ2 Faces Pushback, Google Is Quietly Spending $13 Billion in Heartland States Fortune
Even as Amazon's plans to build a second headquarters facility in New York City is greeted with protests and political pushback, one of its biggest tech rivals has ...
- Tesla Model 3 Weakness Cited in Analyst's Stock Price Reduction Fortune
RBC has cut its 12-month price target on Tesla stock, saying that the company's Model 3 is weaker than anticipated.
- Facebook Investor Targets Social Network in Upcoming Book 'Zucked' Fortune
Facebook investor Roger McNamee calls Facebook bad for society and believes its "flaws outweigh its considerable benefits" in "Zucked."
- Cyber Saturday: Trump's Hacking Cup, Huawei's 'Backdoors,' Maersk's Ransomware Lesson Fortune
President Trump signed an executive order to strengthen the cybersecurity workforce. Plus, Huawei drama and Maersk's ransomware lessons.
- Ivanka Trump: Most Americans Want Upward Mobility, Not Guaranteed Minimum Wage Fortune
Ivanka Trump said most Americans don't want a guaranteed minimum wage, taking a shot at the Green New Deal's provisions for a “family-sustaining wage.”.
- This 'Fashion Discovery Site' Claims to Be Able to Predict Upcoming Trends in Luxury Fashion Fortune
The Moda Operandi Runway Report offers data forecasts for next season's fashion trends and consumer shopping behavior.
- Bernie Sanders Has a Message for Trump on Trade Fortune
As workers' rights have become a focus for the 2020 presidential campaigns, Senator Bernie Sanders has called on President Donald Trump to protect those ...
- Alaska Airlines Is Piloting VR Entertainment on Some Flights Fortune
First class passengers on select Alaska Airlines flights will be able to watch in-flight movies with a VR headset.
- Unilever Won't Be Leaving the U.K. After All Fortune
Unilever abandoned a plan to leave the U.K. for a headquarters in the Netherlands after shareholders rebelled, ending CEO Paul Polman's plan.
- Why Oil Prices Are Rebounding Despite What Trump Wants Fortune
Donald Trump said he wants lower oil prices, But a slide is starting to reverse, thanks to U.S. policies, OPEC plans, and macroeconomics.
- Bankruptcy Questions Circle David's Bridal as It Misses Debt Payment Fortune
David's Bridal, the nation's largest wedding retailer, could be the next victim of the retail apocalypse. Bankruptcy questions are swirling around the company ...
- Twelve On Fire: Global Fintech Startups to Watch BOSS Magazine
The financial industry is experiencing a lot of venture capital investment. Fintech startups from around the globe are popping up to serve needy niche markets.
- Indra Nooyi: Recycling Rates Are Declining. PepsiCo Has a Plan to Change That Fortune
As CEO of a global company, I do a lot of traveling. Every time I go abroad, I meet new people, absorb different cultures, and gaze in awe at the beauty of our ...
- Humanity Has Wiped Out 60% of Global Wildlife in the Past 45 Years, WWF Report Says Fortune
The new Living Planet report from the World Wildlife Fund says humanity and climate change wiped out 60% of global wildlife in 45 years.
- What Is a Deepfake? Let This Unsettling Video of Jennifer Lawrence With Steve Buscemi’s Face Show You Fortune
AI experts and politicians are worried about deepfake technology. A mashup of Jennifer Lawrence and Steve Buscemi shows how advanced it is.
- Health Records, Boeing Concerns, Worldpay Sale: CEO Daily for March 18, 2019 Fortune
Good morning. At Fortune, we believe in the power of technology to make the world a better place. But we also know that the best-intended technology can ...
- Attorney General William Barr Defends His Handling of Mueller’s Report Fortune
William Barr defended his handling of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's findings hours after the revelation that Mueller objected that the attorney general ...
- Tiffany Unveils First New Engagement Line in Nearly a Decade Fortune
Tiffany's Tiffany True engagement jewelry line includes diamond engagement rings and wedding bands in platinum, white gold, and yellow gold.
- 8 Winners and Losers from the 2019 Oscar Nominations Fortune
The 2019 Oscar nominations have arrived, and as expected, there's a fair number of surprises, snubs, and… superheroes (wait a minute?) involved in this year's ...
- Exclusive: A New York City Startup Is Launching a Wine Club Aimed at Millennial Men Fortune
New York City-based startup Bespoke Post announced the launch of its new wine club aimed at millennial men.
- Qatar Airways Is Supersizing Its Airbus Order Fortune
Qatar Airways has changed its order with Airbus to get more of the largest A350 model, the A350-1000, which offers better fuel efficiency.
- Reboot: The talks of TED@BCG TED Blog
For a seventh year, BCG has partnered with TED to bring experts in leadership, psychology, technology, sustainability and more to the stage -- to imagine a ...
- How John Singleton Showed Hollywood That Black Films Could Succeed Fortune
Singleton, who died Monday at age 51, is rightly recognized as a trailblazer due to "Boys n the Hood" and other works.
- Northern Virginia's Global Startup Media is launching a virtual conference Technical.ly DC
In partnership with Startup Canada, the Center for Advancing Innovation and Launch Pad, the 7-day virtual conference will feature 40+ global leaders in tech ...
- Republicans Push Kavanaugh's Confirmation—But More Americans Believe Ford Than Kavanaugh Fortune
Following the Senate hearing, more Americans believe Ford is telling the truth. A small majority also oppose Kavanaugh's confirmation.
- Facebook's Employee Bonuses Now Hinge on 'Social' Progress Fortune
Facebook's nearly 36,000 employees are about to be judged on a whole new metric: The company's ability to tackle problems like misinformation and hate ...
- MoviePass Plans to Raise $1.2 Billion Despite Questions About Sustainability Fortune
In an effort to keep its money-losing business afloat, MoviePass' parent company, Helios and Matheson Analytics, plans to raise $1.2 billion by selling more ...
- Immigration Offices Coordinated to 'Trap' People Legally Seeking Green Cards, ACLU Alleges Fortune
ICE officers were reportedly notified of appoints scheduled with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and arrived for interviews.
- Trump Will Postpone Second Putin Summit Until Next Year Fortune
President Donald Trump will delay a second summit with Russian leader Vladimir Putin until next year, the White House announced Wednesday.
- Home > Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution World Economic Forum
How can we maximize the benefits of science and technology for society? That's our mission. To achieve it, we've created a global hub of expertise, ...
- 1MDB: Malaysia Files Criminal Charges Against Goldman Sachs Fortune
Malaysia today filed criminal charges against Goldman Sachs (gs, +0.63%) and two of the bank's former employees tied to the ongoing 1MDB investigation.
- Rick Gates Requested Proposals From an Israeli Firm to Manipulate the 2016 Election Fortune
Rick Gates, a former campaign adviser to President Donald Trump, reportedly “requested proposals” from an Israeli company in 2016 to create fake online ...
- Qualcomm Shares Tank Amid Layoffs Fortune
Qualcomm shares were down on Thursday after the semiconductor company began layoffs and is in the middle of a trade dispute between the U.S. and China ...
- FAANGs Sink to Lowest in Months; Nasdaq Aims for Bear Market Fortune
Shares of large-capitalization internet and technology companies fell on Friday, with FAANG stocks on track to close at their lowest levels in months as a lengthy ...
- Facebook Sues Chinese Companies Over Trademark Infringement And Cybersquatting Fortune
Facebook has sued four Chinese companies, alleging the companies sold fake Facebook and Instagram accounts. The complaint, filed on March 1 in U.S. ...
- Term Sheet -- Tuesday, October 24 Fortune
Good morning, Term Sheet readers. DATA REVOLUTION: MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga told an audience at Saudi Arabia's Future Investment Initiative ...
- How Donald Trump Made Millions Off His Biggest Business Failure Fortune
As a businessman, Donald Trump gained fame as a gambling czar rivaling his renown as a developer. But a close examination of his record in gaming reveals ...
- How Facebook Employees Are Responding to the Company's Latest Crises Fortune
Facebook employees are reportedly increasingly divided, with some remaining loyal to its founder, while others think a meltdown is coming.
- Couple at Center of $1.2 Million Amazon Scam Gets Nearly 6 Years in Prison Fortune
A husband and wife have each been sentenced to nearly six years in prison for defrauding Amazon of $1.2 million. Erin Finan and Leah Finan pleaded guilty to ...
- Exclusive: Even Raises $9 Million to Help Hourly Workers With Financial Stability Fortune
Even, an Oakland, Calif.-based financial services startup, has raised $9 million in funding led by Valar Ventures, the investment firm backed by Peter Thiel.
- Entrepreneur Networking Site FounderDating Just Got Acquired By Its Top Competitor Fortune
FounderDating was acquired by startup investment platform Onevest to create the largest network of entrepreneurs and advisers.
- Term Sheet -- Wednesday, September 20 Fortune
Good morning, Term Sheet readers. SOFTBANK GETS SMART: We're almost through September, and SoftBank has yet to take its foot off the gas when it comes ...
- Facebook Is Taking Big Steps to Make WhatsApp a Big Business Fortune
Facebook is making some big steps to turn its WhatsApp chatting *service* into a lucrative business. The social media giant said Wednesday it's introducing a few ...
- This Female-Founded Company Just Raised $50 Million in VC Funding Fortune
Consignment company The RealReal confirmed that it has raised $50 million from the private equity firm Great Hill Partners.
- Days After Magic Leap Raised $502 Million, An Employee Was Accused of Stealing $1 Million Fortune
Just days after raising $502 million, Magic Leap reportedly filed a police report alleging an employee had stolen $1 million, according to a report by Business ...
- Google AI Contract For Military Use Sparks Internal Debate Fortune
A Pentagon contract for Google to develop artificial intelligence apps for the military has sparked a significant internal debate.
- WhatsApp Co-Founder Brian Acton Repeats Call to Delete Facebook Fortune
WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton was rejected by Facebook when he applied for a job there in 2009. In 2014, the messaging *service* sold itself to the social ...
- AOL Co-Founder Steve Case Says Bitcoin Mania Reminds Him of the Dot Com Boom Fortune
This article originally ran in Term Sheet, Fortune's newsletter about deals and dealmakers. Sign up here. Steve Case, the billionaire co-founder of AOL, wrapped ...
- How a chance meetup could boost your career Fortune
Brendan McGovern, co-founder and CFO of Meetup, explains how networking with a stranger changed his life.
- Is Africa's rise for real this time? Fortune
Its economics are surging, and foreign investment is exploding. But immense challenges remain. But the continent may be ready to its promise.
- Tencent Just Passed Wells Fargo as the World's 10th Biggest Company Fortune
Tencent, the Chinese tech giant with little business outside its home country but a stranglehold on social media within it, passed Wells Fargo yesterday to ...
- Zuckerberg Should Be Held Personally Liable for Facebook's Violations Fortune
The Federal Trade Commission should hold Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg personally liable for settlement violations regarding data privacy.
- How to Start Hiring If You're Expanding Overseas Fortune
You don't have to be a globe-straddling giant like IBM or GE to hire well in overseas markets. First you have to decide where to expand.
- Mattel Taps Google Executive To Lead Toy Maker Fortune
Mattel, the toy maker behind the iconic Barbie and Fisher-Price brands, has appointed Google Americas President Margaret “Margo” Georgiadis to serve as ...
- Why It's Time to Cancel the Internet's Free Ride Fortune
A 1996 law that free Internet companies from liability for online *content* should be repealed.
- Facebook Wielded User Data to Reward and Punish Rivals, Emails Show Fortune
Internal emails at Facebook Inc., including those involving Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg, were published online.
- Why Coca-Cola Is Investing in Aloe-Based Drinks Fortune
Coca-Cola has acquired a minority stake in an organic aloe water beverage startup, one of several investments the soda maker has recently made beyond its ...
- Deemed a 'Digital Gangster' by the U.K., Facebook Now Says It's 'Open to Meaningful Regulation' Fortune
Facebook must not be allowed to act like a “digital gangster,” an influential committee of British lawmakers has said in a report that calls for the company to be ...
- The SEC Trolled 'Coin' Scammers So Hard Fortune
The regulator raised eyebrows with an unusual press release that urged investors to "Act Now!" as well as a mock website for "HoweyCoins."
- Welcome to Weedtown, U.S.A. Fortune
A company specializing in cannabis products has announced it will buy an entire tiny town in southeastern California and turn it into a “cannabis-friendly” resort ...
- Sam's Club enters same-day delivery wars helped by Instacart Fortune
The home grocery delivery wars just got a little more intense. Sam's Club, a unit of Walmart (wmt, -0.25%), said on Tuesday that it has begun offering same-day ...
- Burning Man Founder Larry Harvey Dies at 70 Fortune
The founder of Burning Man, Larry Harvey, died Saturday morning after suffering a stroke earlier in April. Harvey established the now-famous Burning Man ...
- In business, nice guys finish first. Yes, really. Fortune
We all want to work for an organization where we can trust the people at the top to do the right thing and treat employees fairly (or even, let's admit it, generously) ...
- Westfield Still Has Faith in High End Department Stores Fortune
Don't count Westfield co-CEO Steve Lowy among those who think department stores no longer have a role in anchoring a successful mall. The executive, who ...
- Here's Why Facebook Just Hired One of Its Biggest Critics Fortune
Nate Cardozo once wrote that Facebook's "business model depends on our collective confusion and apathy about privacy."
- SurveyMonkey Cuts 100 Jobs To Refocus Its Service for Businesses Fortune
Six weeks after new CEO Zander Lurie took over, the company is cutting 100 jobs in an effort to refocus its *service* aimed at businesses.
- This Analyst Thinks Apple’s Super-Expensive iPhone X Will Be 'Dead' in Months Fortune
Apple's iPhone X continues to perform poorly on store shelves and will reportedly be discontinued this year, according to one analyst. Mirabaud Securities ...
- The Silver Lining In Walmart's Slowing E-Commerce Growth Fortune
E-commerce sales rose only 7% in the quarter, slowing down yet again and suggesting the retailer is struggling to keep pace with Amazon.
- Milk Bar Founder: Don't Stop Believing Fortune
After all these years, she still gets nervous. Ten years after opening her first Milk Bar, two-time James Beard Award-winning chef and founder of the surprisingly ...
- Freed by the Fed, JPMorgan Is Back in the Acquisition Business Fortune
JP Morgan Chase and Vantiv have both made preliminary approaches to U.K.-based payments provider Worldpay, a company valued at $10 billion.
- I Thought I Understood Facebook. Then My Dad Died Fortune
After his father died, Don Reisinger realized social media had become a portal for his father to connect to the world in a new way.
- Warren Buffett’s Outlook for the Economy Hasn’t Changed Since 2009 Fortune
Warren Buffett sold off a third of his stake in IBM, and tells the U.S. not to worry about its economy.
- Lawsuit Claims Facebook Duped Kids Into Spending Money Without Parental Consent Fortune
Facebook was aware children were spending money on games without consent, according to unsealed documents that are part of a 2012 lawsuit.
- Facebook Left Hundreds of Millions Passwords Unencrypted. Here’s How to Change Yours Right Now Fortune
Facebook said hundreds of millions of passwords were unencrypted. Here's how to change your Facebook password on the website or mobile app.
- Lululemon Misses on Profit Due to Increased Costs Fortune
Lululemon Athletica's quarterly profit narrowly missed analysts' estimate due to higher costs, a week after its founder Chip Wilson criticized the Canadian ...
- Education Startup Backed By Mark Zuckerberg Starts Global Expansion With Acquisition Fortune
An Indian education technology company backed by Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan called Byju is buying U.S. ed-tech startup Osmo.
- Facebook Stock Plunges to Lowest Point in Nearly 2 Years Fortune
After facing public scrutiny for controversial "opposition research" tactics, Facebook's stock fell 5% Monday morning.
- Sheryl Sandberg Outlines Facebook's Plans to Regain the Public's Trust Fortune
Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg on Sunday addressed the company's mistakes and addressed the hope to earn back Facebook users' trust after a string of ...
- Boardlist Wants to Be the LinkedIn For Female Director Candidates Fortune
Sukhinder Singh Cassidy's plan to diversity tech boards takes a step forward.
- JetBlue A320 Redesign Promises to Bring Wider Seats, More Legroom, and 'Humanity' to Air Travel Fortune
JetBlue Airline's restyling of the A320 cabin will give passengers wider seats, more legroom, and improved entertainment options.
- IBM brings business apps to the Apple Watch Fortune
IBM launches business-centric applications for the Apple Watch.
- Facebook's Outgoing Policy Chief Takes Fall for Smearing Competitors Fortune
A week back, a bombshell New York Times story severely tarnished the image of Facebook CEO Sheryl Sandberg by detailing the company's deflection and ...
- 4 Veteran Corporate Directors Share the Best Lessons They've Learned Fortune
Four experienced corporate directors share insight from their years at the boardroom table.
- Cyber Saturday: GDPR Privacy, Amazon Alexa Accident, FBI Encryption Fortune
In this week's Cyber Saturday newsletter, we review what Europe's General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR, means for business.
- Google and Amazon Spar Over Big SAP Customers Fortune
Google, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure all want SAP customers to run their SAP business software in their respective clouds.
- 'This Is an Arms Race.' Why Facebook Isn’t Winning Its War on Harmful Content—Yet Fortune
Facebook says its latest updates to News Feed, Messenger, and Instagram will help it battle misinformation and harmful *content*. While the new features ...
- America's Most Expensive Thanksgiving Dinner Costs $76,000 Fortune
New York City's Old Homestead Steakhouse is serving America's most expensive Thanksgiving dinner at a price tag of $76,000. The restaurant will be offering ...
- Instagram Co-Founders Are Leaving Facebook Fortune
Instagram Co-founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger said they are leaving the popular photo sharing *service* and parent company Facebook.
- When It Comes to Diversity and Inclusion, 'This Is a Problem About Power' Fortune
Ellen McGirt stepped onstage at Fortune's Most Powerful Women Next Gen summit and began to tell hundreds of executives about her love of fly fishing.
- Pimco Says Bill Gross 'Abruptly Quit' By Leaving A Barely Legible Note Fortune
(Reuters) – Pacific Investment Management said former bond manager Bill Gross' abusive conduct and effort to sabotage colleagues he deemed disloyal gave it ...