Ovamba Solutions, Inc.
Ovamba innovates technologies to help SMEs in Africa & other emerging markets to grow, & provides them with short term capital.
Ovamba created a culturally astute risk measuring algorithm to better understand and serve Africans with financial services and capital for growth. They also created a natural language chatbot which allows Africans who do not speak english, french or Arabic to be able to apply for funding from Ovamba in their own language and receive business coaching to help them grow and run better businesses. The model blends Sharia & ethical business elements with eCommerce, logistics & warehousing to deliver full end-to-end services help grow SMEs operating in the trade sector. Ovamba also funds commodities and exports.
Ovamba was founded in 2013 in the US by long-time friends, Viola Llewellyn and Marvin Cole, who saw an opportunity to help empower fellow entrepreneurs in Africa and the Middle East by providing them with the access to finance needed in order to flourish their businesses. The problem they were solving was twofold; firstly, banks were slow and ill-equipped to adapt to meet the demands of fast moving African small businesses; and secondly, banks’ limited due diligence procedures made it hard for entrepreneurs with no previous track record to get started.
Marvin and Viola decided to combine their experience of the finance and technology sectors and build a platform that would offer fast access to business growth support delivered via mobile phone. Complementing its world-class technology, the platform further set itself apart by offering the ability to analyse real-time risk in Africa based on deep traditional and cultural knowledge from on-the-ground teams, thereby creating a system of both technical and local know-how.
In 2014, Ovamba attracted significant investment from UK-based GLI Finance, whose backers include Blackrock Global, AXA Investment Managers and Barclays Wealth. Ovamba then set up its first operations in Cameroon – a country with over 200 local languages, Muslim and Christian communities, and an economy almost entirely comprised of SMEs. It was the perfect place to prove the model.
With a strong track record of successful transactions, in 2016 Ovamba attracted further investment from other investment platforms, such as Japan’s leading fintech emerging markets investor – Crowdcredit. This has enabled Ovamba to expand its operations into multiple geographies.
- Ovamba Solutions, Inc. - MogulWatch Moguldom
Ovamba innovates technologies to help SMEs in Africa & other emerging markets to grow, & provides them with short term capital. Ovamba created a culturally ...
- The journey so far: Viola Llewellyn, president, Ovamba Solutions How we made it in Africa
Viola Llewellyn is the co-founder and the president of Ovamba Solutions, a US-based fintech company that provides micro, small and medium enterprises in ...
- Report: Despite gains, most black, female startup founders still get no funding Baltimore Business Journal
Viola Llewellyn is one of the few black, female company founders nationwide that has been able to surpass the $1 million venture funding mark.
- How Fintech Should Help to Close the Gender Gap in Business Lending Crowdfund Insider
The number of women-owned businesses has been steadily increasing globally. Despite this, accessing finance to start or grow their business remains a.
- Luxembourg House of Fintech Launches Catapult, Targeting Fintech Companies in Africa Crowdfund Insider
The Luxembourg House of Fintech (LHoFT) is launching a new initiative which focuses on Fintech companies in Africa seeking to boost financial inclusion.
- Northern Virginia's Global Startup Media is launching a virtual conference Technical.ly DC
In partnership with Startup Canada, the Center for Advancing Innovation and Launch Pad, the 7-day virtual conference will feature 40+ global leaders in tech ...
- Reboot: The talks of TED@BCG TED Blog
For a seventh year, BCG has partnered with TED to bring experts in leadership, psychology, technology, sustainability and more to the stage -- to imagine a ...
- Innovate Finance Publishes Women in FinTech Powerlist 2018: Leading the Way Crowdfund Insider
Innovate Finance, the independent industry body for UK Fintech, published its Women FinTech Powerlist. Launched in 2015, the Women in FinTech Powerlist.
- Alternative Finance at #PFF18: 16 Fintech Startups Deliver $12 Billion Financing to Consumers and SMEs in 32 countries Crowdfund Insider
The Paris Fintech Forum 2018 (#PFF18) was a huge event, here are a few highlights from the sessions moderated by Crowdfund Insider & friends. The.
- Over 200 Fintech Startup Finalists To Celebrate Worldwide Fintech Innovation At The Benzinga Global Fintech Awards In New York City May 11 Benzinga
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE- Benzinga Announces Finalists for 2017 Benzinga Global Fintech Awards Over 200 companies will compete at fintech's premier ...
- Viola Llewellyn Shares Her Wealth of Experience in FabAfriq’s Inspirational Issue. Bella Naija
Co-founder and President of Ovamba Solutions, Inc. Viola Llewellyn graces the cover of FabAfriq magazine. She gives her insight and opinion on business, ...
- Ripple Inc Foothold in Middle East, Rain Now Supports XRP Ethereum World News
It's all about liquidity and making XRP accessible to all. Rain, a Bahrain based Sharia compliant cryptocurrency exchange now supports XRP, the native token of ...