Mented Cosmetics is a luxury beauty company targeted to women of color. It is a premium beauty line that believes every woman should be able to find herself in the world of beauty.
Sign up for the Moguldom newsletter — business news you need to know about economic empowerment for the digital age, delivered to your inbox.
- Fashion and beauty events worth seeking out in Washington this week Hoodline
From makeup to tropics-themed clothing, explore these fun fashion events happening in D.C. this week.
- People Shaping Retail's Future 2019 Retail Info Systems News
The NRF Foundation has announced the 25 individuals named to The List of People Shaping Retail's Future (see below). The honorees include a wide range of ...
- A.I. Assistants, Brain Games, Virtual Clinics: Meet the Hottest NYC Startups to Watch in 2019 Inc.
New York City might not have the entrepreneurial pedigree of Silicon Valley, but it has startups for days. Not only does the Big Apple host more companies on ...
- NRF Foundation Releases The List of People Shaping Retail's Future 2019 Business Wire
The NRF Foundation today announced the 25 individuals named to The List of People Shaping Retail's Future. The honorees include a wide range of dynami.
- Mented Cosmetics, The Makeup Brand For And By Us, Just Raised $3 Million In Funding Essence
We love any and all forms of #BlackGirlMagic and Mented Cosmetics' recent win is definitely yet another reason to keep an eye on the brand. The company ...
- Sephora or Ulta: A Beauty Brand's Biggest Decision The Business of Fashion
NEW YORK, United States – Summer Fridays was supposed to be the next great direct-to-consumer beauty brand. Then Sephora came calling. Marianna Hewitt ...
- Mented Cosmetics wants to be the Glossier for women of color Glossy
With the belated influx of attention being given to the beauty needs of women of color, indie brands are tapping into the opportunity and seeing significant growth ...
- Founders Of Mented Cosmetics Become 15th, 16th Black Women Ever To Raise $1M Capital Forbes Now
The cofounders of Mented Cosmetics, a makeup line for women of color, have become the 15th and 16th African-American women ever to raise $1 million in ...
- Mented Cosmetics' First Eyeshadow Palette Keeps Selling Out Refinery29
The Black-owned brand launched an eyeshadow palette that everyone keeps buying.
- Why VCs are pouring money into beauty brands PitchBook News & Analysis
The beauty industry is changing, and venture capitalists are taking notice. According to a recent report from Nielsen, 96% of traditional beauty retail channels ...
- Angel investor Tina Bou-Saba: ‘There’s a gap in funding sources across beauty and wellness’ Glossy
Startup beauty and wellness brands continue to turn to venture-capital funds to scale their burgeoning businesses, but the other side of that coin is angel ...
- What These 3 Beauty Brand Founders Learned From Day One Forbes Now
Learn what obstacles almost kept these beauty founders from starting their businesses and where they are now.
- 26 Women of Color Diversifying Entrepreneurship in Silicon Valley, Media, and Beyond Vanity Fair
The business world has long been a boys' club. Women C.E.O.s and founders of color make up a small portion of entrepreneurs who have reached the top.
- Facebook Is Helping SMBs and Ecommerce Brands Set Up Shop in The Market @ Macy’s Adweek
Facebook teamed up with department store chain Macy's on a holiday gift for select small and midsized businesses and ecommerce brands—the ability to ...
- Lightspeed backs Lady Gaga's makeup startup amid spike in beauty funding PitchBook News & Analysis
Lady Gaga's stealthy cosmetics company is just one of many beauty businesses to bring in VC funding this year.
- Facebook opens its first small biz pop-up stores inside Macy’s TechCrunch
Facebook is bursting out of the ones and zeros into the physical realm with nine brick-and-mortar pop-up stores that will show off goods from 100 small business ...
- Mented Founders Raise $1,000,000 in Capital for Vegan, Nontoxic Makeup for Women of Color The Root
Black women can continue to give thanks because not only do we now have Fenty Beauty, but there's also Mented, which recently secured enough capital to ...
- This Beauty Pop-Up Is More Than Just an Instagram-Friendly Space BizBash
Beautycon's inaugural retail pop-up aims to redefine traditional standards of beauty through hands-on mentorship, a female-focused retail shop, and ...
- Features Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands by Sarah McLaughlin VegNews
Cruelty-free companies are taking over the beauty industry, one liquid lipstick at a time.
- How This Publicity Powerhouse Attracts High-End Clients Black Enterprise
Behind a few of the world's most notable brands sits Jenelle Hamilton, a publicity powerhouse who spent nearly 10 years working under others to perfect her ...
- 13 women entrepreneurs accepted into Sephora Accelerate 2018 CosmeticsDesign.com USA
Sephora has been running its Accelerate program for women brand founders and startup leaders for three years now. This week, the company announced the ...
- These 50 founders and VCs suggest 2018 may be a tipping point for women in tech: Part 2 TechCrunch
On Friday, we featured 25 founders and VCs who are having a notable 2018 — and who happen to be women. Herewith, 25 more who deserve some kudos for ...
- 17 Female-Owned Beauty Brands to Support TeenVogue.com
Following Kylie Jenner being named Forbes's projected youngest self-made billionaire, here are 17 beauty brands that were also founded by self-made women.
- Mented Cosmetics Founders Garner $1M Capital, Making Black History In The Process News One
Amanda Johnson and KJ Miller are the 15th and 16th Black women to ever garner $1 million in funding for their cosmetics brand.
- Sephora lines up largest accelerator yet Retail Dive
Sephora has chosen 13 female entrepreneurs from seven countries for its third annual beauty startup accelerator, "Sephora Accelerate," according to a company ...
- The 9 Best Beauty Brands for Women of Color PureWow
Looking for a perfect makeup match? We're highlighting nine beauty brands for their inclusive product lines.
- Are Beauty Brands (Finally) Rethinking Their Terminology? Robb Report
Was there a tipping point? A moment at which the definition of beauty cracked open and no longer pointed to one body type, age, ethnicity, or gender as its apex ...
- Meet The Brands Funded By Sundial And Unilever's New Fund For Women Of Color Entrepreneurs Forbes Now
During the 2018 Essence Festival, Richelieu Dennis (co-founder of Sundial Brands) officially launched the New Voices Fund, a $100 million dollar fund in ...
- Nine Black-Owned Beauty Startups To Watch Fast Company
If you want to support black entrepreneurs—and diversity—in the beauty space, these startups are a good place to start.
- Jenelle Hamilton On What It Takes To Have A Successful Career In PR MadameNoire
PR entrepreneur Jenelle Hamilton talks landing Bob Mackie as a client and what it takes to excel in the public relations industry.
- The number of startups founded by black women has more than doubled since 2016. Here’s why. Mic
Kathryn Finney explains the data behind ProjectDiane 2018.
- Exclusive: Report Shows 34 Black Women Have Now Raised $1M+ VC Funds, Tripling 2016 Figures Forbes Now
34 black women have raised over $1 million from VC firms, up from 11 two years ago says digitalundivided's 2018 ProjectDiane report. There are 2.5 times as ...
- As Inclusivity Becomes a Driving Force In Beauty, a Former Vogue Columnist Reflects On the State of the Industry Vogue.com
Former model and Vogue columnist Audrey Smaltz reﬂects on how a once-marginalized community is redeﬁning the beauty industry.
- Term Sheet -- Wednesday, May 23 Fortune
Good morning, Term Sheet readers. Anu Duggal founded Female Founders Fund (F3) back in 2014 when the venture landscape looked much different.
- Black-Owned Hair Brand Raises $23M In Venture Capital News One
The Black-owned beauty brand Mayven recently raised $23 million in venture capital funding.
- Black Women Beauty Company Co-Founders Score $1 Million in Funding Black Enterprise
K.J. Miller and Amanda E. Johnson, the founders of Mented are the 15th and 16th, respectively, African American women to ever raise $1 million in funding.
- Startup Scaleup 2018 speaker: Diversity needed in entrepreneur ranks cleveland.com
Startup Scaleup was a day-long entrepreneurship conference at venues throughout the Gordon Square Arts District on Cleveland's West Side. Tuesday's event ...
- 11 Black Owned Beauty Brands To Keep You Glowing This Holiday Season Okayafrica
This is our second gift guide in the run-up to the holidays. Keep checking for more lists of great African products here. And for more ideas check out the ...
- Three Tips on How to Raise Seed Capital Black Enterprise
With forums on education to sports and investing, one of the standout panels was on how African American business owners and budding entrepreneurs can ...
- See How These 2 Harvard Grads Want to Fix the Black Beauty Problem for Good BET
KJ Miller and Amanda E. Johnson founded Mented Cosmetics to solve it.
- Founders of theSkimm, Rent the Runway, and Other Badass Women Share Their Top 5 Tips for Aspiring Entrepreneurs Fortune
Between being a minority at pretty every much industry event, having to convince (mostly male) venture capitalists to invest in your company, and having those ...
- These black women entrepreneurs are showing love to all skin tones with ‘Mented’ The Grio
When it comes to beauty, Kristen “KJ” Miller and Amanda E. Johnson refuse to settle. In September, 2015, the two friends and former Harvard Business School ...
- Celebrate International Women’s Day with these women-owned indie beauty brands HelloGiggles
It's International Women's Day, so we're taking the time to celebrate the women who inspire us and fill our lives with beauty in every way. Makeup and skin care ...
- 24 Black-Owned Beauty Brands You Won't Be Able To Stop Shopping BuzzFeed News
Hey guys! I'm Essence, the beauty editor for As/Is. Among my many passions, which include googling Oprah speeches and trying new potato chip flavors, ...
- This Is Harvard's Next Black Beauty Startup Black Enterprise
The founders of Mented share how they got started and how putting on a "white man hat" helped them get funding for their beauty startup.
- 8 Black-Owned Beauty Brands To Gift Everyone On Your List This Holiday Season Refinery29
Before you roll your eyes at yet another holiday shopping guide, hear us out. We already know that you've been inundated with enough roundups of gift sets and ...
- Startup Scaleup to bring together entrepreneurs, mentors at Gordon Square cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Amplify your ambition, say the organizers of this year's Startup Scaleup. The event will be June 26 in Gordon Square Arts District and is ...
- What It Costs to Be Me: Fatimah Asghar Glamour
When poet Fatimah Asghar shops for skin, hair, body, and makeup products, she sticks to brands by women of color. Here's what she buys.
- the Bloomi: Rebecca Story talks startup funding, clean intimate care, and much more CosmeticsDesign.com USA
At last month's BeautyX Summit here in New York City, CEO and founder Rebecca Story spoke on a panel about Fundraising as a Woman of Color. In her video ...
- 2017 The Year In Review For Women Founders And Funders Forbes Now
We've looked back at Forbes coverage of women founders and funders over the year. The women represented here have between them have a half a billion ...
- Q&A: Emerging beauty brands Raconteur
Stirling Murray, founder and managing director of The Red Tree international beauty brand consultancy, shares his insight into the latest trends in the market.
- How Black Female Founders Can Finally Break Through The Fundraising Gap In 2018 Forbes Now
Investors are looking at your team, the idea, the market and your formula for success. But ultimately it's about the picture and potential you paint.
- Melinda Gates: 2017 is the year our daughters will tell theirs about Yahoo Lifestyle
Melinda Gates, in an exclusive Yahoo Lifestyle essay, writes about some of the women whose bravery, talent, and grit made 2017 a year to remember.
- Sister Duo Launches At-Home Salon Service Platform That Caters To Black Women News One
Yeluchi by Un-ruly is an at-home salon *service* that provides stylists who specialize in Black hairstyles.
- Recipe for success: Entrepreneurs embrace passion, perseverance and fear NJBIZ
Passion, perseverance and, yes, a little bit of fear, are what's fueling the white-hot women entrepreneur startup trend in New Jersey, according to many ...
- 15 Beauty Brands For WOC You Probably Never Heard Of Bustle
Bustle and Coveteur are working together to bring you the best mix of the season's fashion and beauty releases, shopping tips, and *service* stories in ways that ...
- Pro Rata - May 23, 2018 Axios
China's other D.C. problem — Comcast makes Fox interest official — "Easier to raise money" than ever before.
- New Book Captures The Unsung Stories Of Former Slaves Who Became Entrepreneurs News One
A new book unearths the unsung stories of six African-Americans who escaped slavery and became successful entrepreneurs, the Philadelphia Tribune ...
- After Star Wars Battlefront 2 backlash, DICE reveals Battlefield 5's cosmetics-only microtransactions Eurogamer.net
We've been waiting a little while for an explanation of how Tides of War - Battlefield 5's new live services system to replace the premium pass - will actua…
- Monique Woodard leaving 500 Startups PE Hub
Monique Woodard, the first first African-American venture partner on the staff at 500 Startups, announced she is leaving the firm. Woodard joined 500 Startups ...
- Subscription Boxes That Are Actually Worth It Racked
Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to ...
- 8 eco-friendly beauty brands from around the world Treehugger
Whether you're trying to cut down on plastic or avoid harsh chemicals, these cosmetic companies offer green alternatives that'll have you glowing.
- Vegan Beauty Brand Launches Makeup Made for Trans People LIVEKINDLY
Jessica Blackler launched JECCA MAKEUP, a PETA-approved, vegan beauty brand aiming to address common makeup issues experienced by trans folks.
- Tax Hacks: Turning tax reform toward inclusive, sustainable prosperity (podcast) ImpactAlpha
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. called taxes “the price we pay for civilization.” In the latest Returns on Investment podcast, our regular roundtable goes even further: ...
- 101 Reasons It's Damn Good to Be a Woman in 2017 Glamour
Congratulations! You've nearly made it through the 17th year of the 3rd millennium—should you pop the Champagne, or should I? It's not an overstatement to ...
- Colin Kaepernick Named GQ Magazine's Citizen of the Year San Diego Voice and Viewpoint
NEW YORK — Free agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick has been named GQ's magazine's “Citizen of the Year” for his activism. Kaepernick began kneeling ...
- Film Independent Selects Nine Fellows For 2018 Documentary Lab PR Newswire
LOS ANGELES, March 20, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Film Independent, the non-profit arts organization that produces the Spirit Awards and the LA Film Festival, ...
- Today's top stories EOS Debuts Beeswax-Free, Crystal Clear Vegan Lip Balm by Anna Starostinetskaya VegNews
Last week, beauty brand EOS launched new, egg-shaped vegan Crystal Lip Balm in two flavors, Hibiscus Peach and Vanilla Orchid. The new formula removes ...
- Why the LA Times' new theater column needs a new name LA Observed
Oops. The first show that was discussed in "The 99-Seat Beat" - a new, weekly LA Times theater column -- was "Silent Sky," at Long Beach's International City ...
- Why Naomi Ishii’s two-year stint as MD of Toyota’s India arm was crucial ETAuto.com
For Naomi Ishii, managing director, Toyota Kirloskar Motor Private Limited (TKML), it was particularly so. When he landed in India in January 2014.
- Durham Police Charges a Man Impersonating Toronto Police Officer Oye! Times
Durham Regional Police have revealed to have charged a 51-year-old Oshawa man, Aubrey Griffith, with impersonating a Toronto police officer after finding him ...
- Daniel Chi-Kwong Wong charged for Markham home invasion murder Oye! Times
Investigators working out of the York Regional Police Homicide Unit have charged a fourth suspect with First Degree Murder, Attempt Murder and Conspiracy to ...