Mented Cosmetics is a luxury beauty company targeted to women of color. It is a premium beauty line that believes every woman should be able to find herself in the world of beauty.
- 2 Harvard grads created makeup line, Mented, for women of color WTOP
(NEW YORK) — What started off as a friendship between two musical theater lovers has turned into a cosmetics business worth millions. Mented Cosmetics ...
- Mented Cosmetics wants to be the Glossier for women of color Glossy
With the belated influx of attention being given to the beauty needs of women of color, indie brands are tapping into the opportunity and seeing significant growth ...
- Mented Cosmetics, The Makeup Brand For And By Us, Just Raised $3 Million In Funding Essence
We love any and all forms of #BlackGirlMagic and Mented Cosmetics' recent win is definitely yet another reason to keep an eye on the brand. The company ...
- 10 Black-owned beauty brands to support Rolling Out
If you are a beauty lover who is looking for new products we've got you covered. Here are 10 Black-owned beauty brands that you should support.
- 11 Black-Owned Beauty Brands You Need on Your Radar Self
From Mielle Organics to The Lip Bar, here are black-owned beauty companies, many owned by women, that are making their mark on the hair and beauty ...
- Founders Of Mented Cosmetics Become 15th, 16th Black Women Ever To Raise $1M Capital Forbes Now
The cofounders of Mented Cosmetics, a makeup line for women of color, have become the 15th and 16th African-American women ever to raise $1 million in ...
- Angel investor Tina Bou-Saba: ‘There’s a gap in funding sources across beauty and wellness’ Glossy
Startup beauty and wellness brands continue to turn to venture-capital funds to scale their burgeoning businesses, but the other side of that coin is angel ...
- Mented Cosmetics' First Eyeshadow Palette Keeps Selling Out Refinery29
The Black-owned brand launched an eyeshadow palette that everyone keeps buying.
- Why VCs are pouring money into beauty brands PitchBook News & Analysis
The beauty industry is changing, and venture capitalists are taking notice. According to a recent report from Nielsen, 96% of traditional beauty retail channels ...
- The 15 Best Black-Owned Beauty Brands I'll Never Stop Talking About MarieClaire.com
The world of beauty is vast. You'd think with the countless products that make up the massive market, everyone would feel represented. Unfortunately, that hasn't ...
- A.I. Assistants, Brain Games, Virtual Clinics: Meet the Hottest NYC Startups to Watch in 2019 Inc.
These Silicon Alley companies are making waves across a wide range of industries.
- Facebook opens its first small biz pop-up stores inside Macy’s TechCrunch
Facebook is bursting out of the ones and zeros into the physical realm with nine brick-and-mortar pop-up stores that will show off goods from 100 small business ...
- Lightspeed backs Lady Gaga's makeup startup amid spike in beauty funding PitchBook News & Analysis
Lady Gaga's stealthy cosmetics company is just one of many beauty businesses to bring in VC funding this year.
- Mented Founders Raise $1,000,000 in Capital for Vegan, Nontoxic Makeup for Women of Color The Root
Black women can continue to give thanks because not only do we now have Fenty Beauty, but there's also Mented, which recently secured enough capital to ...
- 10 Black-Owned Beauty Brands We’re Obsessed With The Fashion Spot
From lipsticks and toners to moisturizers and conditioners, here are 10 black-owned beauty brands to shop during Black History Month.
- Facebook Is Helping SMBs and Ecommerce Brands Set Up Shop in The Market @ Macy’s Adweek
Facebook teamed up with department store chain Macy's on a holiday gift for select small and midsized businesses and ecommerce brands—the ability to ...
- These 50 founders and VCs suggest 2018 may be a tipping point for women in tech: Part 2 TechCrunch
On Friday, we featured 25 founders and VCs who are having a notable 2018 — and who happen to be women. Herewith, 25 more who deserve some kudos for ...
- How Three Female Entrepreneurs Built Their Brands by Delivering Inclusivity WWD
Products that put diversity first are serving unmet market needs.
- 17 Female-Owned Beauty Brands to Support TeenVogue.com
Following Kylie Jenner being named Forbes's projected youngest self-made billionaire, here are 17 beauty brands that were also founded by self-made women.
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands VegNews
Cruelty-free companies are taking over the beauty industry, one liquid lipstick at a time.
- Nine Black-Owned Beauty Startups To Watch Fast Company
If you want to support black entrepreneurs—and diversity—in the beauty space, these startups are a good place to start.
- Mented Cosmetics Founders Garner $1M Capital, Making Black History In The Process News One
Amanda Johnson and KJ Miller are the 15th and 16th Black women to ever garner $1 million in funding for their cosmetics brand.
- Black-Owned Hair Brand Raises $23M In Venture Capital News One
The Black-owned beauty brand Mayven recently raised $23 million in venture capital funding.
- How This Publicity Powerhouse Attracts High-End Clients Black Enterprise
Behind a few of the world's most notable brands sits Jenelle Hamilton, a publicity powerhouse who spent nearly 10 years working under others to perfect her ...
- People Shaping Retail's Future 2019 Retail Info Systems News
The NRF Foundation has announced the 25 individuals named to The List of People Shaping Retail's Future (see below). The honorees include a wide range of ...
- NRF Foundation Releases The List of People Shaping Retail's Future 2019 Business Wire
The NRF Foundation today announced the 25 individuals named to The List of People Shaping Retail's Future. The honorees include a wide range of dynami.
- Building local startup ecosystems that work for entrepreneurs of color ImpactAlpha
ImpactAlpha, February 14 – Entrepreneurial hubs around the country are rethinking how they attract and support a group of business founders they've ...
- The 9 Best Beauty Brands for Women of Color PureWow
Looking for a perfect makeup match? We're highlighting nine beauty brands for their inclusive product lines.
- What These 3 Beauty Brand Founders Learned From Day One Forbes Now
Learn what obstacles almost kept these beauty founders from starting their businesses and where they are now.
- These black women entrepreneurs are showing love to all skin tones with 'Mented' The Grio
When it comes to beauty, Kristen “KJ” Miller and Amanda E. Johnson refuse to settle. In September, 2015, the two friends and former Harvard Business School ...
- the Bloomi: Rebecca Story talks startup funding, clean intimate care, and much more CosmeticsDesign.com USA
At last month's BeautyX Summit here in New York City, CEO and founder Rebecca Story spoke on a panel about Fundraising as a Woman of Color. In her video ...
- 26 Women of Color Diversifying Entrepreneurship in Silicon Valley, Media, and Beyond Vanity Fair
The business world has long been a boys' club. Women C.E.O.s and founders of color make up a small portion of entrepreneurs who have reached the top.
- The number of startups founded by black women has more than doubled since 2016. Here’s why. Mic
Kathryn Finney explains the data behind ProjectDiane 2018.
- Exclusive: Report Shows 34 Black Women Have Now Raised $1M+ VC Funds, Tripling 2016 Figures Forbes Now
34 black women have raised over $1 million from VC firms, up from 11 two years ago says digitalundivided's 2018 ProjectDiane report. There are 2.5 times as ...
- Meet The Brands Funded By Sundial And Unilever's New Fund For Women Of Color Entrepreneurs Forbes Now
During the 2018 Essence Festival, Richelieu Dennis (co-founder of Sundial Brands) officially launched the New Voices Fund, a $100 million dollar fund in ...
- Term Sheet -- Wednesday, May 23 Fortune
Good morning, Term Sheet readers. Anu Duggal founded Female Founders Fund (F3) back in 2014 when the venture landscape looked much different.
- Founders of theSkimm, Rent the Runway, and Other Badass Women Share Their Top 5 Tips for Aspiring Entrepreneurs Fortune
Between being a minority at pretty every much industry event, having to convince (mostly male) venture capitalists to invest in your company, and having those ...
- Sephora lines up largest accelerator yet Retail Dive
Sephora has chosen 13 female entrepreneurs from seven countries for its third annual beauty startup accelerator, "Sephora Accelerate," according to a company ...
- As Inclusivity Becomes a Driving Force In Beauty, a Former Vogue Columnist Reflects On the State of the Industry Vogue.com
Former model and Vogue columnist Audrey Smaltz reﬂects on how a once-marginalized community is redeﬁning the beauty industry.
- Startup Scaleup 2018 speaker: Diversity needed in entrepreneur ranks cleveland.com
Startup Scaleup was a day-long entrepreneurship conference at venues throughout the Gordon Square Arts District on Cleveland's West Side. Tuesday's event ...
- See How These 2 Harvard Grads Want to Fix the Black Beauty Problem for Good BET
KJ Miller and Amanda E. Johnson founded Mented Cosmetics to solve it.
- This Is Harvard's Next Black Beauty Startup Black Enterprise
The founders of Mented share how they got started and how putting on a "white man hat" helped them get funding for their beauty startup.
- 13 women entrepreneurs accepted into Sephora Accelerate 2018 CosmeticsDesign.com USA
Sephora has been running its Accelerate program for women brand founders and startup leaders for three years now. This week, the company announced the ...
- Jenelle Hamilton On What It Takes To Have A Successful Career In PR MadameNoire
PR entrepreneur Jenelle Hamilton talks landing Bob Mackie as a client and what it takes to excel in the public relations industry.
- Black Women Beauty Company Co-Founders Score $1 Million in Funding Black Enterprise
K.J. Miller and Amanda E. Johnson, the founders of Mented are the 15th and 16th, respectively, African American women to ever raise $1 million in funding.
- Home Shopping Heaven: It's Cyber Monday. Do You Know Where Your Deals Are? (We Do.) The Root
If you're anything like me, coming back to work after a four-and-a-half day weekend was a struggle, to say the least (and that's saying a lot, since my morning ...
- 8 Black-Owned Beauty Brands To Gift Everyone On Your List This Holiday Season Refinery29
Before you roll your eyes at yet another holiday shopping guide, hear us out. We already know that you've been inundated with enough roundups of gift sets and ...
- 11 Black Owned Beauty Brands To Keep You Glowing This Holiday Season Okayafrica
This is our second gift guide in the run-up to the holidays. Keep checking for more lists of great African products here. And for more ideas check out the ...
- Sephora or Ulta: A Beauty Brand's Biggest Decision The Business of Fashion
NEW YORK, United States – Summer Fridays was supposed to be the next great direct-to-consumer beauty brand. Then Sephora came calling. Marianna Hewitt ...
- Post-Oscar Beauty Routines Get Shaken Up as Biz Sees Disruption Variety
Now that Oscar season is over, it's time to look forward to the Emmy campaigns ahead, not to mention upcoming important film festivals, including Cannes.
- Q&A: Emerging beauty brands Raconteur
Stirling Murray, founder and managing director of The Red Tree international beauty brand consultancy, shares his insight into the latest trends in the market.
- 24 Black-Owned Beauty Brands You Won't Be Able To Stop Shopping BuzzFeed News
Hey guys! I'm Essence, the beauty editor for As/Is. Among my many passions, which include googling Oprah speeches and trying new potato chip flavors, ...
- NRF Foundation Releases List of People Shaping Retail's Future Gifts & Decorative Accessories
The NRF Foundation announced the 25 individuals named to The List of People Shaping Retail's Future.
- Fixing the funding gap: City invests in women private investors overlook Crain's New York Business
WE NYC seeks to help close the funding gap for women at all levels. The WE NYC initiative launched in 2014 to help close the funding gap for female business ...
- 18 Black-Owned Beauty Brands That Need to Be on Your Radar POPSUGAR
As a woman of color, finding makeup formulated for my skin tone can be difficult to say the least. A lot of brands see brown foundation and somehow think gray.
- 15 Beauty Brands For WOC You Probably Never Heard Of Bustle
Bustle and Coveteur are working together to bring you the best mix of the season's fashion and beauty releases, shopping tips, and *service* stories in ways that ...
- Christal Jackson shines light on Blacks in Silicon Valley's new tech ecosystem Rolling Out
Children of the Dream: The Tech Ecosystem was a conference focused on bringing attention to contributions made by Black and Brown people in Silicon Valley.
- Pro Rata - May 23, 2018 Axios
China's other D.C. problem — Comcast makes Fox interest official — "Easier to raise money" than ever before.
- How Black Female Founders Can Finally Break Through The Fundraising Gap In 2018 Forbes Now
Although 2017 saw a few welcome success stories, the generally dire fundraising landscape for female founders is well documented. Of the $60bn in venture ...
- After Star Wars Battlefront 2 backlash, DICE reveals Battlefield 5's cosmetics-only microtransactions Eurogamer.net
We've been waiting a little while for an explanation of how Tides of War - Battlefield 5's new live services system to replace the premium pass - will actua…
- New Book Captures The Unsung Stories Of Former Slaves Who Became Entrepreneurs News One
A new book penned by author Shomari Wills delves into the journeys of Black pioneers who became entrepreneurs after slavery.
- Sister Duo Launches At-Home Salon Service Platform That Caters To Black Women News One
Yeluchi by Un-ruly is an at-home salon *service* that provides stylists who specialize in Black hairstyles.
- Celebrate International Women’s Day with these women-owned indie beauty brands HelloGiggles
It's International Women's Day, so we're taking the time to celebrate the women who inspire us and fill our lives with beauty in every way. Makeup and skin care ...
- How Rihanna Is A Trojan Horse For Diversity In The Fashion And Beauty Industry HelloBeautiful
Find out how Fenty Beauty and Rihanna's fashion collaborations are shifting the fashion and beauty industry.
- Subscription Boxes That Are Actually Worth It Racked
Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to ...
- LET'S MAKEUP: The Top Beauty Looks From The 49th Annual NAACP Image Awards HelloBeautiful
The 49th Annual NAACP Image Awards brought out the best in Black Hollywood on the red carpet. We got stunning sequins and some serious leg action from ...
- 2017 The Year In Review For Women Founders And Funders Forbes Now
We've looked back at Forbes coverage of women founders and funders over the year. The women represented here have between them have a half a billion ...
- Vegan Beauty Brand Launches Makeup Made for Trans People LIVEKINDLY
Jessica Blackler launched JECCA MAKEUP, a PETA-approved, vegan beauty brand aiming to address common makeup issues experienced by trans folks.
- 8 eco-friendly beauty brands from around the world Treehugger
Whether you're trying to cut down on plastic or avoid harsh chemicals, these cosmetic companies offer green alternatives that'll have you glowing.
- This Beauty Pop-Up Is More Than Just an Instagram-Friendly Space BizBash
Beautycon's inaugural retail pop-up aims to redefine traditional standards of beauty through hands-on mentorship, a female-focused retail shop, and ...
- Tax Hacks: Turning tax reform toward inclusive, sustainable prosperity (podcast) ImpactAlpha
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. called taxes “the price we pay for civilization.” In the latest Returns on Investment podcast, our regular roundtable goes even further: ...
- 101 Reasons It's Damn Good to Be a Woman in 2017 Glamour
Congratulations! You've nearly made it through the 17th year of the 3rd millennium—should you pop the Champagne, or should I? It's not an overstatement to ...
- EOS Debuts Beeswax-Free, Crystal Clear Vegan Lip Balm VegNews
Last week, beauty brand EOS launched new, egg-shaped vegan Crystal Lip Balm in two flavors, Hibiscus Peach and Vanilla Orchid. The new formula removes ...
- Film Independent Selects Nine Fellows For 2018 Documentary Lab PR Newswire
LOS ANGELES, March 20, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Film Independent, the non-profit arts organization that produces the Spirit Awards and the LA Film Festival, ...
- Why Naomi Ishii’s two-year stint as MD of Toyota’s India arm was crucial Economic Times
For Naomi Ishii, managing director, Toyota Kirloskar Motor Private Limited (TKML), it was particularly so. When he landed in India in January 2014.