Mented Cosmetics is a luxury beauty company targeted to women of color. It is a premium beauty line that believes every woman should be able to find herself in the world of beauty.
- Women of color test Mented's makeup line made for darker skin tones Business Insider
Mented Cosmetics' mission is to make it easier for women of color to find their perfect shade. We're testing out their line to see if it lives up to the hype.
- Mented Cosmetics wants to be the Glossier for women of color Glossy
With the belated influx of attention being given to the beauty needs of women of color, indie brands are tapping into the opportunity and seeing significant growth ...
- Founders Of Mented Cosmetics Become 15th, 16th Black Women Ever To Raise $1M Capital Forbes Now
The cofounders of Mented Cosmetics, a makeup line for women of color, have become the 15th and 16th African-American women ever to raise $1 million in ...
- 10 Black-owned beauty brands to support Rolling Out
If you are a beauty lover who is looking for new products we've got you covered. Here are 10 Black-owned beauty brands that you should support.
- 11 Black-Owned Beauty Brands You Need on Your Radar Self
From Mielle Organics to The Lip Bar, here are black-owned beauty companies, many owned by women, that are making their mark on the hair and beauty ...
- Mented Cosmetics' First Eyeshadow Palette Keeps Selling Out Refinery29
The Black-owned brand launched an eyeshadow palette that everyone keeps buying.
- When Beauty Industry Is Inclusive, Everyone Wins Wall Street Journal
The beauty industry frequently ignores the needs of consumers of color, but Katonya Breaux, founder and chief executive of Unsun Cosmetics, and Mented ...
- Mented Cosmetics, The Makeup Brand For And By Us, Just Raised $3 Million In Funding Essence
We love any and all forms of #BlackGirlMagic and Mented Cosmetics' recent win is definitely yet another reason to keep an eye on the brand. The company ...
- 4 Indie Beauty Brands Covering Multicultural Skin Hollywood Reporter
Riding the wave of inclusivity, brands Mented, Orce, Hue Noir and A.P.D.G. developed foundations to suit a range of skin tones and types, with something for ...
- The 15 Best Black-Owned Beauty Brands I'll Never Stop Talking About MarieClaire.com
The world of beauty is vast. You'd think with the countless products that make up the massive market, everyone would feel represented. Unfortunately, that hasn't ...
- Why VCs are pouring money into beauty brands PitchBook News & Analysis
The beauty industry is changing, and venture capitalists are taking notice. According to a recent report from Nielsen, 96% of traditional beauty retail channels ...
- Angel investor Tina Bou-Saba: ‘There’s a gap in funding sources across beauty and wellness’ Glossy
Startup beauty and wellness brands continue to turn to venture-capital funds to scale their burgeoning businesses, but the other side of that coin is angel ...
- A.I. Assistants, Brain Games, Virtual Clinics: Meet the Hottest NYC Startups to Watch in 2019 Inc.
These Silicon Alley companies are making waves across a wide range of industries.
- Mented Founders Raise $1,000,000 in Capital for Vegan, Nontoxic Makeup for Women of Color The Root
Black women can continue to give thanks because not only do we now have Fenty Beauty, but there's also Mented, which recently secured enough capital to ...
- Facebook opens its first small biz pop-up stores inside Macy’s TechCrunch
Facebook is bursting out of the ones and zeros into the physical realm with nine brick-and-mortar pop-up stores that will show off goods from 100 small business ...
- Instagram Hones in on Publishers’ Turf With Shopping Recommendations | News & Analysis | BoF The Business of Fashion
NEW YORK, United States — Instagram is making it easier to shop on the platform. Now the company wants to show you what to buy, too. A new account ...
- Nine Black-Owned Beauty Startups To Watch Fast Company
If you want to support black entrepreneurs—and diversity—in the beauty space, these startups are a good place to start.
- Instagram unveils curated @shop account to showcase online merchants Mobile Marketer
Instagram created a special account called @shop that brings together posts from online merchants that sell products through the image-sharing app, according ...
- Mented Cosmetics Founders Garner $1M Capital, Making Black History In The Process News One
Amanda Johnson and KJ Miller are the 15th and 16th Black women to ever garner $1 million in funding for their cosmetics brand.
- Sorry, cosmetics brand Black Opal isn’t Black, but here’s how it threatens real Black business TheGrio
ANALYSIS: To the surprise of some, the revered cosmetics brand is not Black-owned, as it turns out, but now a trademark opposition motion its parent company ...
- Lightspeed backs Lady Gaga's makeup startup amid spike in beauty funding PitchBook News & Analysis
Lady Gaga's stealthy cosmetics company is just one of many beauty businesses to bring in VC funding this year.
- Instagram's @shop a curated showcase of shoppable products Bizcommunity.com
Instagram has launched a @shop account, essentially a curation of posts from online merchants that sell products through the image-sharing app.
- 17 Female-Owned Beauty Brands to Support TeenVogue.com
Following Kylie Jenner being named Forbes's projected youngest self-made billionaire, here are 17 beauty brands that were also founded by self-made women.
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands VegNews
Cruelty-free companies are taking over the beauty industry, one liquid lipstick at a time.
- How Three Female Entrepreneurs Built Their Brands by Delivering Inclusivity WWD
Products that put diversity first are serving unmet market needs.
- Black-Owned Hair Brand Raises $23M In Venture Capital News One
The Black-owned beauty brand Mayven recently raised $23 million in venture capital funding.
- These 50 founders and VCs suggest 2018 may be a tipping point for women in tech: Part 2 TechCrunch
On Friday, we featured 25 founders and VCs who are having a notable 2018 — and who happen to be women. Herewith, 25 more who deserve some kudos for ...
- These black women entrepreneurs are showing love to all skin tones with ‘Mented’ The Grio
When it comes to beauty, Kristen “KJ” Miller and Amanda E. Johnson refuse to settle. In September, 2015, the two friends and former Harvard Business School ...
- NRF Foundation Releases The List of People Shaping Retail's Future 2019 Business Wire
The NRF Foundation today announced the 25 individuals named to The List of People Shaping Retail's Future. The honorees include a wide range of dynami.
- People Shaping Retail's Future 2019 Retail Info Systems News
The NRF Foundation has announced the 25 individuals named to The List of People Shaping Retail's Future (see below). The honorees include a wide range of ...
- Building local startup ecosystems that work for entrepreneurs of color ImpactAlpha
ImpactAlpha, February 14 – Entrepreneurial hubs around the country are rethinking how they attract and support a group of business founders they've ...
- How This Publicity Powerhouse Attracts High-End Clients Black Enterprise
Behind a few of the world's most notable brands sits Jenelle Hamilton, a publicity powerhouse who spent nearly 10 years working under others to perfect her ...
- The 9 Best Beauty Brands for Women of Color PureWow
Looking for a perfect makeup match? We're highlighting nine beauty brands for their inclusive product lines.
- See How These 2 Harvard Grads Want to Fix the Black Beauty Problem for Good BET
KJ Miller and Amanda E. Johnson founded Mented Cosmetics to solve it.
- Post-Oscar Beauty Routines Get Shaken Up as Biz Sees Disruption Variety
Now that Oscar season is over, it's time to look forward to the Emmy campaigns ahead, not to mention upcoming important film festivals, including Cannes.
- What These 3 Beauty Brand Founders Learned From Day One Forbes Now
Learn what obstacles almost kept these beauty founders from starting their businesses and where they are now.
- 11 Black Owned Beauty Brands To Keep You Glowing This Holiday Season Okayafrica
This is our second gift guide in the run-up to the holidays. Keep checking for more lists of great African products here. And for more ideas check out the ...
- Lydia Blanco, Author at Black Enterprise Black Enterprise
Lydia T. Blanco is a proud Afro-Latinx digital-first multimedia journalist with a strong passion for truthful storytelling, photography and creative *content* strategy.
- Exclusive: Report Shows 34 Black Women Have Now Raised $1M+ VC Funds, Tripling 2016 Figures Forbes Now
34 black women have raised over $1 million from VC firms, up from 11 two years ago says digitalundivided's 2018 ProjectDiane report. There are 2.5 times as ...
- As Inclusivity Becomes a Driving Force In Beauty, a Former Vogue Columnist Reflects On the State of the Industry Vogue.com
Former model and Vogue columnist Audrey Smaltz reﬂects on how a once-marginalized community is redeﬁning the beauty industry.
- Founders of theSkimm, Rent the Runway, and Other Badass Women Share Their Top 5 Tips for Aspiring Entrepreneurs Fortune
Between being a minority at pretty every much industry event, having to convince (mostly male) venture capitalists to invest in your company, and having those ...
- Meet The Brands Funded By Sundial And Unilever's New Fund For Women Of Color Entrepreneurs Forbes Now
During the 2018 Essence Festival, Richelieu Dennis (co-founder of Sundial Brands) officially launched the New Voices Fund, a $100 million dollar fund in ...
- Black Women Beauty Company Co-Founders Score $1 Million in Funding Black Enterprise
K.J. Miller and Amanda E. Johnson, the founders of Mented are the 15th and 16th, respectively, African American women to ever raise $1 million in funding.
- 26 Women of Color Diversifying Entrepreneurship in Silicon Valley, Media, and Beyond Vanity Fair
The business world has long been a boys' club. Women C.E.O.s and founders of color make up a small portion of entrepreneurs who have reached the top.
- The number of startups founded by black women has more than doubled since 2016. Here's why. Mic
The number of startups founded by black women in the United States has more than doubled since 2016, according to ProjectDiane 2018, a report published ...
- Social Media Examiner Report; Facebook Co-Founder Calls For Break-Up AList
How do brands utilize tools, buy ads, create *content*, employ influencers and increase sales with the help of social media? All this and more in our daily social ...
- Fixing the funding gap: City invests in women private investors overlook Crain's New York Business
WE NYC seeks to help close the funding gap for women at all levels. The WE NYC initiative launched in 2014 to help close the funding gap for female business ...
- 13 women entrepreneurs accepted into Sephora Accelerate 2018 CosmeticsDesign.com USA
Sephora has been running its Accelerate program for women brand founders and startup leaders for three years now. This week, the company announced the ...
- Startup Scaleup 2018 speaker: Diversity needed in entrepreneur ranks cleveland.com
Startup Scaleup was a day-long entrepreneurship conference at venues throughout the Gordon Square Arts District on Cleveland's West Side. Tuesday's event ...
- This Is Harvard's Next Black Beauty Startup Black Enterprise
The founders of Mented share how they got started and how putting on a "white man hat" helped them get funding for their beauty startup.
- 10 Black-Owned Beauty Brands We’re Obsessed With The Fashion Spot
From lipsticks and toners to moisturizers and conditioners, here are 10 black-owned beauty brands to shop during Black History Month.
- What It Costs to Be Me: Fatimah Asghar Glamour
When poet Fatimah Asghar shops for skin, hair, body, and makeup products, she sticks to brands by women of color. Here's what she buys.
- GET THE LOOK: Gabrielle Union’s Met Gala Glam HelloBeautiful
Gabrielle Union hit the Met Gala pink carpet serving shimmery baroque inspired disco handmaiden realness. The form fitting Peter Dundas look was ...
- Home Shopping Heaven: It's Cyber Monday. Do You Know Where Your Deals Are? (We Do.) The Root
If you're anything like me, coming back to work after a four-and-a-half day weekend was a struggle, to say the least (and that's saying a lot, since my morning ...
- Jenelle Hamilton On What It Takes To Have A Successful Career In PR MadameNoire
PR entrepreneur Jenelle Hamilton talks landing Bob Mackie as a client and what it takes to excel in the public relations industry.
- 15 Beauty Brands For WOC You Probably Never Heard Of Bustle
Bustle and Coveteur are working together to bring you the best mix of the season's fashion and beauty releases, shopping tips, and *service* stories in ways that ...
- Term Sheet -- Wednesday, May 23 Fortune
Good morning, Term Sheet readers. Anu Duggal founded Female Founders Fund (F3) back in 2014 when the venture landscape looked much different.
- 18 Black-Owned Beauty Brands That Need to Be on Your Radar POPSUGAR
As a woman of color, finding makeup formulated for my skin tone can be difficult to say the least. A lot of brands see brown foundation and somehow think gray.
- Beautycon CEO Moj Mahdara: ‘Content and commerce are now interchangeable’ Glossy
Since taking the helm at Beautycon in 2015, CEO Moj Mahdara has transformed the experiential installation to a full-scale makeup summit.
- Sephora or Ulta: A Beauty Brand's Biggest Decision The Business of Fashion
NEW YORK, United States – Summer Fridays was supposed to be the next great direct-to-consumer beauty brand. Then Sephora came calling. Marianna Hewitt ...
- Instagram added a new @shop account to help business owners and customers Gadget Bridge
Instagram launched a new @shop account which helps the businesses and the shopkeepers to aid in their purchases and set up the businesses.
- Instagram launches new @shop account to promote 'emerging brands' Memeburn
Instagram launched its new @shop account on Thursday, the platform's new dedicated space for small business promotion and sales. “The *content* on this ...
- Q&A: Emerging beauty brands Raconteur
Stirling Murray, founder and managing director of The Red Tree international beauty brand consultancy, shares his insight into the latest trends in the market.
- Sephora lines up largest accelerator yet Retail Dive
Retail industry news, voices and jobs. Optimized for your mobile phone.
- Power in the Boardroom: African Americans on the Board of Directors Black Enterprise
For five years now, Black Enterprise has been chronicling the African Americans who serve on the board of directors of America's largest publicly traded ...
- How Rihanna Is A Trojan Horse For Diversity In The Fashion And Beauty Industry HelloBeautiful
Find out how Fenty Beauty and Rihanna's fashion collaborations are shifting the fashion and beauty industry.
- Chinese National Charged In Anthem Data Breach pymnts.com
U.S. prosecutors have charged a Chinese national for his alleged involvement in the 2015 data breach at health insurance company Anthem, which led to the ...
- LET'S MAKEUP: The Top Beauty Looks From The 49th Annual NAACP Image Awards HelloBeautiful
The 49th Annual NAACP Image Awards brought out the best in Black Hollywood on the red carpet. We got stunning sequins and some serious leg action from ...
- Defining Digital: Facebook Throws Book at Rankwave while Twitter and LinkedIn Collar Bad Actors MENAFN.COM
(MENAFN - PRLog) Bad actors seriously compromise social media and video streaming platforms every day. They threaten the safety of the users and the ...
- 3 Strategies for Ultimate Time Management Black Enterprise
Time is a non-negotiable, non-renewable resource, but somehow we all seem to forget this every now and again. There is enormous value in culling through ...
- $4.5M Intel HBCU Grant Program to Increase Retention in STEM College Majors and Careers Black Enterprise
Today, Intel Corp. is announcing the Intel HBCU Grant Program, a three-year, $4.5 million initiative, to help retain students in STEM pathways at six historically ...
- 24 Black-Owned Beauty Brands You Won't Be Able To Stop Shopping BuzzFeed News
Hey guys! I'm Essence, the beauty editor for As/Is. Among my many passions, which include googling Oprah speeches and trying new potato chip flavors, ...
- Kylie Jenner To Be Featured On The Cover Of Forbes Beauty Packaging Magazine
Kylie Jenner, founder of Kylie Cosmetics, will be on the cover of the Forbes August 2018 issue -- as the youngest-ever self-made billionaire. She will turn 21 in ...
- Sister Duo Launches At-Home Salon Service Platform That Caters To Black Women News One
Yeluchi by Un-ruly is an at-home salon *service* that provides stylists who specialize in Black hairstyles.
- How Black Female Founders Can Finally Break Through The Fundraising Gap In 2018 Forbes Now
Although 2017 saw a few welcome success stories, the generally dire fundraising landscape for female founders is well documented. Of the $60bn in venture ...
- Smartphone Sales Hit Five-Year Low In Q1 pymnts.com
New Canalys data shows that smartphone device shipments in North America have fallen to a five-year low, plummeting 18 percent year on year in Q1 2019.
- Instagram Sets up @shop Account to Help Buyers, Sellers http://www.newsgram.com/
Instagram has set up @shop, a special platform to facilitate convenient transactions for shoppers as well as merchants.
- After Star Wars Battlefront 2 backlash, DICE reveals Battlefield 5's cosmetics-only microtransactions Eurogamer.net
We've been waiting a little while for an explanation of how Tides of War - Battlefield 5's new live services system to replace the premium pass - will actually work.
- Subscription Boxes That Are Actually Worth It Racked
Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to ...
- 8 eco-friendly beauty brands from around the world Treehugger
Whether you're trying to cut down on plastic or avoid harsh chemicals, these cosmetic companies offer green alternatives that'll have you glowing.
- Money Laundering Causes Rising Canadian Home Prices pymnts.com
Real Estate News: Money laundering in Canada is being blamed for a 5 percent rise in home prices in British Columbia — the dirty money flows easily there.
- 2017 The Year In Review For Women Founders And Funders Forbes Now
We've looked back at Forbes coverage of women founders and funders over the year. The women represented here have between them have a half a billion ...
- Celebrate International Women’s Day with these women-owned indie beauty brands HelloGiggles
It's International Women's Day, so we're taking the time to celebrate the women who inspire us and fill our lives with beauty in every way. Makeup and skin care ...
- The Hollywood Film Awards to be Hosted by Queen Latifah Black Enterprise
Talk show host, Queen Latifah, is slated to host the inaugural live broadcast show, The Hollywood Film Awards, on CBS on Friday, November 14.
- Troy Williamson Talks Transition Into Entrepreneurship Black Enterprise
Former NFL player Troy Williamson speaks about entrepreneurship, giving back and helping people via motivational speaking.
- This Beauty Pop-Up Is More Than Just an Instagram-Friendly Space BizBash
Beautycon's inaugural retail pop-up aims to redefine traditional standards of beauty through hands-on mentorship, a female-focused retail shop, and ...
- New Book Captures The Unsung Stories Of Former Slaves Who Became Entrepreneurs News One
A new book penned by author Shomari Wills delves into the journeys of Black pioneers who became entrepreneurs after slavery.
- How One HBCU Sends More Black Students to Med School Than any Other Black Enterprise
Xavier University in New Orleans is the same institution that produced the lauded and widely admired Surgeon General, Dr. Regina Benjamin, who headed a ...
- STYLE 5 Beauty Products That Actually Do What They Say They Will OK!
A lot of beauty brands make bold claims about how their products can elevate your look and routine, but which ones are actually worth your hard-earned.
- Pro Rata - May 23, 2018 Axios
China's other D.C. problem — Comcast makes Fox interest official — "Easier to raise money" than ever before.
- Monique Woodard leaving 500 Startups PE Hub
Monique Woodard, the first first African-American venture partner on the staff at 500 Startups, announced she is leaving the firm. Woodard joined 500 Startups ...
- Derrick Rose Helps Bring Giordano's Pizzeria from Brink of Bankruptcy Black Enterprise
A new report says Derrick Rose's investment has brought a local Chicago pizza chain back from the brink of bankruptcy, helped reinvigorate revenue — and ...
- Helen Little (LiteFM/iHeartRadio Black Enterprise
Music is one of the only constants that has and will probably always exist for us as a society. Be it the sounds of nature or the rhythms of early tribes or the ...
- EOS Debuts Beeswax-Free, Crystal Clear Vegan Lip Balm VegNews
Last week, beauty brand EOS launched new, egg-shaped vegan Crystal Lip Balm in two flavors, Hibiscus Peach and Vanilla Orchid. The new formula removes ...
- 101 Reasons It's Damn Good to Be a Woman in 2017 Glamour
Congratulations! You've nearly made it through the 17th year of the 3rd millennium—should you pop the Champagne, or should I? It's not an overstatement to ...
- Film Independent Selects Nine Fellows For 2018 Documentary Lab PR Newswire
LOS ANGELES, March 20, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Film Independent, the non-profit arts organization that produces the Spirit Awards and the LA Film Festival, ...