Mented Cosmetics is a luxury beauty company targeted to women of color. It is a premium beauty line that believes every woman should be able to find herself in the world of beauty.
- Elaine Welteroth Hosts Sephora’s Color Up Close Panel On Beauty And Inclusion Essence
Elaine Welteroth hosted a diversity and inclusion panel with beauty industry insiders as part of Sephora's Color Up Close initiative.
- Mented Cosmetics Founders and the Business Behind Their Beauty Brand for Women of Color Black Enterprise
Entrepeneurs KJ Miller and Amanda E. Johnson came up with the idea to build a beauty brand for women of color; now Mented Cosmetics is a go-to brand.
- Mented Cosmetics Cofounder KJ Miller On Career Pivots, Trusting Your Instincts & Personalizing Products Refinery29
Mented Cosmetics cofounder KJ Miller has never been afraid to pivot to get closer to her goals.
- Mented Cosmetics wants to be the Glossier for women of color Glossy
With the belated influx of attention being given to the beauty needs of women of color, indie brands are tapping into the opportunity and seeing significant growth ...
- Founders Of Mented Cosmetics Become 15th, 16th Black Women Ever To Raise $1M Capital Forbes Now
The cofounders of Mented Cosmetics, a makeup line for women of color, have become the 15th and 16th African-American women ever to raise $1 million in ...
- Mented Cosmetics, The Makeup Brand For And By Us, Just Raised $3 Million In Funding Essence
We love any and all forms of #BlackGirlMagic and Mented Cosmetics' recent win is definitely yet another reason to keep an eye on the brand. The company ...
- Beauty Brands Focus on Women of Color The Wall Street Journal
Customers with darker complexions are finding more makeup options, as startups and established brands follow Fenty Beauty by Rihanna in targeting an ...
- 11 Black-Owned Beauty Brands You Need on Your Radar Self
From Mielle Organics to The Lip Bar, here are black-owned beauty companies, many owned by women, that are making their mark on the hair and beauty ...
- When Beauty Industry Is Inclusive, Everyone Wins Wall Street Journal
The beauty industry frequently ignores the needs of consumers of color, but Katonya Breaux, founder and chief executive of Unsun Cosmetics, and Mented ...
- 10 Black-owned beauty brands to support Rolling Out
If you are a beauty lover who is looking for new products we've got you covered. Here are 10 Black-owned beauty brands that you should support.
- Mented Cosmetics Founders Garner $1M Capital, Making Black History In The Process News One
Amanda Johnson and KJ Miller are the 15th and 16th Black women to ever garner $1 million in funding for their cosmetics brand.
- Everything You Need To Know About The Jaclyn Hill Lipstick Drama Refinery29
Update: After a month-long hiatus, Jaclyn Hill has returned to YouTube with her first video since she ceased production and refunded sales of her Jaclyn ...
- Op-Ed | Why Black Beauty Editors (Still) Work Twice as Hard as Their White Peers | Opinion, Op Ed | BoF The Business of Fashion
NEW YORK, United States — For beauty journalists just starting out in the industry, becoming an editor at a high-profile magazine or website is a covetable ...
- Mented Cosmetics' First Eyeshadow Palette Keeps Selling Out Refinery29
The Black-owned brand launched an eyeshadow palette that everyone keeps buying.
- 4 Indie Beauty Brands Covering Multicultural Skin Hollywood Reporter
Riding the wave of inclusivity, brands Mented, Orce, Hue Noir and A.P.D.G. developed foundations to suit a range of skin tones and types, with something for ...
- Kylie Jenner Is Officially A Billionaire — But Is She "Self Made?" Refinery29
It's official: Kylie Jenner is Kris Jenner's favorite a billionaire. Not only that, but she's also the youngest self-made billionaire, according to Forbes. The publication ...
- Mented Founders Raise $1,000,000 in Capital for Vegan, Nontoxic Makeup for Women of Color The Root
Black women can continue to give thanks because not only do we now have Fenty Beauty, but there's also Mented, which recently secured enough capital to ...
- The 15 Best Black-Owned Beauty Brands I'll Never Stop Talking About MarieClaire.com
The world of beauty is vast. You'd think with the countless products that make up the massive market, everyone would feel represented. Unfortunately, that hasn't ...
- Nine Black-Owned Beauty Startups To Watch Fast Company
If you want to support black entrepreneurs—and diversity—in the beauty space, these startups are a good place to start.
- Instagram Hones in on Publishers’ Turf With Shopping Recommendations | News & Analysis | BoF The Business of Fashion
NEW YORK, United States — Instagram is making it easier to shop on the platform. Now the company wants to show you what to buy, too. A new account ...
- Why VCs are pouring money into beauty brands PitchBook News & Analysis
The beauty industry is changing, and venture capitalists are taking notice. According to a recent report from Nielsen, 96% of traditional beauty retail channels ...
- So, What's Going To Happen To Jordyn & Kylie Cosmetics? Refinery29
Update: Although the Kylie x Jordyn collection is very much still live and full-price on the Kylie Cosmetics website, fans just noticed something else on the site ...
- Angel investor Tina Bou-Saba: 'There's a gap in funding sources across beauty and wellness' Glossy
Startup beauty and wellness brands continue to turn to venture-capital funds to scale their burgeoning businesses, but the other side of that coin is angel ...
- These black women entrepreneurs are showing love to all skin tones with ‘Mented’ The Grio
When it comes to beauty, Kristen “KJ” Miller and Amanda E. Johnson refuse to settle. In September, 2015, the two friends and former Harvard Business School ...
- Facebook opens its first small biz pop-up stores inside Macy’s TechCrunch
Facebook is bursting out of the ones and zeros into the physical realm with nine brick-and-mortar pop-up stores that will show off goods from 100 small business ...
- A.I. Assistants, Brain Games, Virtual Clinics: Meet the Hottest NYC Startups to Watch in 2019 Inc.
These Silicon Alley companies are making waves across a wide range of industries.
- Sorry, cosmetics brand Black Opal isn’t Black, but here’s how it threatens real Black business TheGrio
ANALYSIS: To the surprise of some, the revered cosmetics brand is not Black-owned, as it turns out, but now a trademark opposition motion its parent company ...
- 10 Black-Owned Beauty Brands We’re Obsessed With The Fashion Spot
From lipsticks and toners to moisturizers and conditioners, here are 10 black-owned beauty brands to shop during Black History Month.
- Confirmed: A Kylie & Kendall Jenner Makeup Collaboration Is On The Way Refinery29
Update: In case you haven't heard, Kylie Jenner is now a vlogger. The 21-year-old has been giving a behind-the-scenes look at her life with YouTube videos.
- Halima Aden's New Beauty Campaign Goes Beyond Shade Inclusivity Refinery29
As the face of UOMA Beauty, a brand hoping to take inclusivity to new levels, Halima Aden is proving that representation goes beyond shade range.
- The World's Richest Woman Owes Her Wealth To Makeup — & It's Not Kylie Refinery29
You may have heard a little something about Kylie Jenner's claim to the throne of youngest self-made billionaire, but there's another cosmetics doyenne who ...
- Instagram unveils curated @shop account to showcase online merchants Mobile Marketer
Instagram created a special account called @shop that brings together posts from online merchants that sell products through the image-sharing app, according ...
- Brandon Truaxe Is Officially Out — But Deciem Is Open For Business Refinery29
Deciem founder Brandon Truaxe has been effectively stripped of all his roles and powers after an Ontario Superior Court judge granted an interim order Friday ...
- Instagram's @shop a curated showcase of shoppable products Bizcommunity.com
Instagram has launched a @shop account, essentially a curation of posts from online merchants that sell products through the image-sharing app.
- How Patrick Ta Faced His Fears & Launched A Makeup Brand Refinery29
Patrick Ta has made a name for himself in Hollywood as the go-to makeup artist for celebrities like Gigi Hadid, Shay Mitchell, Olivia Munn, and so many more.
- See How These 2 Harvard Grads Want to Fix the Black Beauty Problem for Good BET
KJ Miller and Amanda E. Johnson founded Mented Cosmetics to solve it.
- Black-Owned Hair Brand Raises $23M In Venture Capital News One
The Black-owned beauty brand Mayven recently raised $23 million in venture capital funding.
- Chrissy Teigen Wants Luna To Embrace Her "Curly Hair, Brown Skin, & Goofy Smiles" Refinery29
Chrissy Teigen knows better than anyone that taking care of yourself is no easy task, especially when you're juggling business and motherhood. The model ...
- North West Wore Black Lipstick To Church — & The Internet Has Thoughts Refinery29
Sundays have taken on an entirely new meaning at the Kardashian-West household. The family has been hosting "Sunday Services" that serve as a weekly ...
- NRF Foundation Releases The List of People Shaping Retail's Future 2019 Business Wire
The NRF Foundation today announced the 25 individuals named to The List of People Shaping Retail's Future. The honorees include a wide range of dynami.
- The Cost Of Meghan Markle's Skin-Care Routine Is Even More Humble Than She Is Refinery29
Aside from wondering what's really in Meghan Markle's banana bread recipe, there's one other question everyone is asking about the Duchess of Sussex these ...
- Ada Rojas Is Going From Influencer To Entrepreneur With Her Own Natural Hair Line Refinery29
Ada Rojas thought she had it all when her beauty blog catapulted her to influencer status, but she felt her calling was way bigger than the *content* that she was ...
- Here's How To Get The Kylie Cosmetics X Astroworld Tour Makeup Merch Refinery29
Couples who get paid together, stay together. Just think: Beyoncé and Jay-Z, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw. When you've got too big brand names in one ...
- 17 Female-Owned Beauty Brands to Support TeenVogue.com
Following Kylie Jenner being named Forbes's projected youngest self-made billionaire, here are 17 beauty brands that were also founded by self-made women.
- How A Nervous Breakdown Shaped The Course Of Laura Mercier's Career Refinery29
Laura Mercier tells us how she broke into the industry, the inspiration behind her line, and the one event that pushed her to risk it all.
- What These 3 Beauty Brand Founders Learned From Day One Forbes Now
Learn what obstacles almost kept these beauty founders from starting their businesses and where they are now.
- Lightspeed backs Lady Gaga's makeup startup amid spike in beauty funding PitchBook News & Analysis
Lady Gaga's stealthy cosmetics company is just one of many beauty businesses to bring in VC funding this year.
- People Shaping Retail's Future 2019 Retail Info Systems News
The NRF Foundation has announced the 25 individuals named to The List of People Shaping Retail's Future (see below). The honorees include a wide range of ...
- The One Product Reese Witherspoon Says Transformed Her Skin Refinery29
We talked to Reese Witherspoon about all things beauty, including her favorite cheap products, the skin treatment she splurges on, and her beauty regrets.
- How Breast Cancer & Beyoncé Fueled This Beauty Mogul's Appetite For Success Refinery29
Cashmere Nicole is the founder and CEO of Beauty Bakerie Cosmetics, a brand she launched in 2011 with just one item and has since amassed millions of fans ...
- The One Beauty Product Chrissy Teigen & Her Daughter Luna Both Love Refinery29
Chrissy Teigen talks Becca holiday collection, mommy skin care, and internet trolls.
- How This Publicity Powerhouse Attracts High-End Clients Black Enterprise
Behind a few of the world's most notable brands sits Jenelle Hamilton, a publicity powerhouse who spent nearly 10 years working under others to perfect her ...
- Marc Jacobs: "There Will Come A Day When People Won’t Gender Makeup" Refinery29
For the release of his first skin-care product, Refinery29 chatted with the designer about makeup, manicures, and breaking the rules.
- These 50 founders and VCs suggest 2018 may be a tipping point for women in tech: Part 2 TechCrunch
On Friday, we featured 25 founders and VCs who are having a notable 2018 — and who happen to be women. Herewith, 25 more who deserve some kudos for ...
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands VegNews
Cruelty-free companies are taking over the beauty industry, one liquid lipstick at a time.
- Kris Jenner Reflects On Her 40th Mother's Day — From Lip Kits To Late-Night Calls Refinery29
We spoke to Kris Jenner about Mother's Day, what she really thinks about Kylie's "self-made" title, and the scariest calls she's gotten from her kids.
- Confessions Of Dr. Pimple Popper's Husband Refinery29
Ever since Dr. Pimple Popper hit our Thursday-night watch lists, people have been dying to know more about Dr. Sandra Lee, the chipper dermatologist in bright ...
- Kim Kardashian & Kylie Jenner's Perfume Collab Finally Has A Launch Date Refinery29
Update: Four months after the postponement of the first-ever perfume collaboration between Kim Kardashian West and Kylie Jenner, there is finally a launch ...
- Post-Oscar Beauty Routines Get Shaken Up as Biz Sees Disruption Variety
Now that Oscar season is over, it's time to look forward to the Emmy campaigns ahead, not to mention upcoming important film festivals, including Cannes.
- Priyanka Chopra's Makeup Artist Shares Her Bridal Beauty Tips Refinery29
Celeb makeup artist Pati Dubroff is sharing her favorite skin-care tricks, bridal beauty suggestions, and more.
- The Tiny Detail You Probably Missed In Beyoncé's Adidas-Themed Instagram Refinery29
Beyoncé is always one for flawless coordination, and she's repping her new Adidas collaboration all the way down to her fingertips.
- This Is What Elizabeth Holmes Looked Like Before She Was Elizabeth Holmes Refinery29
Before the disgraced Theranos founder was a biotech billionaire, she was a mousy brunette.
- the Bloomi: Rebecca Story talks startup funding, clean intimate care, and much more CosmeticsDesign.com USA
At last month's BeautyX Summit here in New York City, CEO and founder Rebecca Story spoke on a panel about Fundraising as a Woman of Color. In her video ...
- Kim Kardashian Is Unrecognizable After This Beauty Treatment Refinery29
For all the plastic surgery rumors, the Kardashian-Jenner crew don't really change their looks all that much. When one of the sisters gets a drastic new haircut or ...
- 11 Black Owned Beauty Brands To Keep You Glowing This Holiday Season Okayafrica
This is our second gift guide in the run-up to the holidays. Keep checking for more lists of great African products here. And for more ideas check out the ...
- Plasma Masks & Japanese Face Massage: The Pro Secrets To Lady Gaga's Skin Refinery29
Neither Lady Gaga's longtime fans, nor those who just know her as that singer who wore a meat dress on the red carpet, could have guessed that Gaga would ...
- Lauren London Has A New Tattoo Honoring Nipsey Hussle Refinery29
Nearly two weeks after the tragic passing of Nipsey Hussle, Lauren London took the stage at the Staples Center in Los Angeles for the memorial *service* of her ...
- Ariana Grande Shouts Out Fenty Beauty In A New Song — & Fans Are Obsessed Refinery29
She mentioned Fenty Beauty in her new song "Make Up."
- Tayla Parx On Glitter, Wigs, & What It Means To Be Feminine Refinery29
Child actor turned singer-songwriter Tayla Parx is redefining beauty standards with her signature candy-pink wigs, glitter, and freckles.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar Wants To Steal Super Bowl Ads Back From Men Refinery29
There's a lot about the '90s we can't ever possibly forget, like Rachel Green's layered bob, the rise and fall of Furbies, and Crystal Pepsi. Still, out of all the ...
- Instagram launches new @shop account to promote 'emerging brands' Memeburn
Instagram launched its new @shop account on Thursday, the platform's new dedicated space for small business promotion and sales. “The *content* on this ...
- 26 Women of Color Diversifying Entrepreneurship in Silicon Valley, Media, and Beyond Vanity Fair
The business world has long been a boys' club. Women C.E.O.s and founders of color make up a small portion of entrepreneurs who have reached the top.
- The 10-Year Challenge Is Total BS — & Here's Why Refinery29
The #10YearChallenge has turned into exactly what you would expect: an excuse for people to share their most attractive photos.
- The 9 Best Beauty Brands for Women of Color PureWow
Looking for a perfect makeup match? We're highlighting nine beauty brands for their inclusive product lines.
- Black Women Beauty Company Co-Founders Score $1 Million in Funding Black Enterprise
K.J. Miller and Amanda E. Johnson, the founders of Mented are the 15th and 16th, respectively, African American women to ever raise $1 million in funding.
- As Inclusivity Becomes a Driving Force In Beauty, a Former Vogue Columnist Reflects On the State of the Industry Vogue.com
Former model and Vogue columnist Audrey Smaltz reﬂects on how a once-marginalized community is redeﬁning the beauty industry.
- 13 women entrepreneurs accepted into Sephora Accelerate 2018 CosmeticsDesign.com USA
Sephora has been running its Accelerate program for women brand founders and startup leaders for three years now. This week, the company announced the ...
- 18 Black-Owned Beauty Brands That Need to Be on Your Radar in 2019 POPSUGAR
As a woman of color, finding makeup formulated for my skin tone can be difficult to say the least. A lot of brands see brown foundation and somehow think gray.
- Gabrielle Union Unveiled Her Shortest Hair Yet — & It Looks So Good Refinery29
Gabrielle Union isn't scared of taking risks with her hair. Back in 2018, she cut her natural hair into a dramatic, jaw-length bob — all in the name of channeling ...
- Lydia Blanco, Author at Black Enterprise Black Enterprise
Lydia T. Blanco is a proud Afro-Latinx digital-first multimedia journalist with a strong passion for truthful storytelling, photography and creative *content* strategy.
- 15 Beauty Brands For WOC You Probably Never Heard Of Bustle
Bustle and Coveteur are working together to bring you the best mix of the season's fashion and beauty releases, shopping tips, and *service* stories in ways that ...
- Maeve's Pink Hair Stole The Show In Sex Education Refinery29
Sex Education, Netflix's new coming-of-age dramedy, may have only arrived on the streaming *service* a few days ago, but it's already a hit. Between the '80s ...
- Social Media Examiner Report; Facebook Co-Founder Calls For Break-Up AList
How do brands utilize tools, buy ads, create *content*, employ influencers and increase sales with the help of social media? All this and more in our daily social ...
- Founders of theSkimm, Rent the Runway, and Other Badass Women Share Their Top 5 Tips for Aspiring Entrepreneurs Fortune
Female founders of theSkimm, Rent the Runway, Shine, Accompany, share their tips for women entrepreneurs.
- Celebrity Owned Beauty Businesses Refinery29
Some beauty brands are unmistakably (and unapologetically) affiliated with celebrities. Their name, likeness, and maybe even popular lyrics are splashed all ...
- The One Thing That Can Make Or Break A Wig, According To Tokyo Stylez Refinery29
Tokyo Stylez, the hairstylist responsible for Cardi B's most iconic wigs, is laying the foundation for a hair empire.
- How My Side Hustle Led To A Full-Time Job As Michelle Obama's Hairstylist Refinery29
Yene Damtew went from styling hair in her parents' garage to working in the White House.
- A Serena Williams Beauty Line May Be Coming Soon Refinery29
These days, our favorite celebrities are multi-hyphenate megastars. Most of the biggest names in Hollywood do far more than what's listed on their IMDb bios: ...
- The number of startups founded by black women has more than doubled since 2016. Here's why. Mic
The number of startups founded by black women in the United States has more than doubled since 2016, according to ProjectDiane 2018, a report published ...
- Jenelle Hamilton On What It Takes To Have A Successful Career In PR MadameNoire
PR entrepreneur Jenelle Hamilton talks landing Bob Mackie as a client and what it takes to excel in the public relations industry.
- 45 Great Moments in Black Business – No. 18: Johnson Products Courts Controversy When Company Sold to Whites Black Enterprise
The sale of Johnson Products was significant on a number of levels. Since it was founded in 1954 by George E. Johnson Sr., with a $250 vacation loan.
- Katherine Langford Embraces The Buzziest Hair Color Of 2019 Refinery29
If you needed any more evidence that copper is the biggest hair color trend of 2019, one look at Katherine Langford's most recent Instagram post will have you ...
- What It Costs to Be Me: Fatimah Asghar Glamour
When poet Fatimah Asghar shops for skin, hair, body, and makeup products, she sticks to brands by women of color. Here's what she buys.
- Kim Kardashian West Argues That Her Family Is "Self Made" — Here's Why Refinery29
She addressed the recent Forbes controversy in an exclusive interview with Refinery29.
- Sephora or Ulta: A Beauty Brand's Biggest Decision The Business of Fashion
NEW YORK, United States – Summer Fridays was supposed to be the next great direct-to-consumer beauty brand. Then Sephora came calling. Marianna Hewitt ...
- Sephora lines up largest accelerator yet Retail Dive
Sephora has chosen 13 female entrepreneurs from seven countries for its third annual beauty startup accelerator, "Sephora Accelerate," according to a company ...
- Startup Scaleup 2018 speaker: Diversity needed in entrepreneur ranks cleveland.com
Startup Scaleup was a day-long entrepreneurship conference at venues throughout the Gordon Square Arts District on Cleveland's West Side. Tuesday's event ...
- Kylie Jenner Cosmetic Company - Low Business Grade Refinery29
Update: Looks like Kylie's beauty record is getting back on track. Shortly after news broke that Kylie Cosmetics received an "F" rating from the Better Business ...