Mayvenn enables Stylists to sell products directly to their clients without the upfront costs and burdens of holding inventory.
At Mayvenn, we are creating the future of salon retail – one hairstylist at a time. Our mission is to empower hairstylists and salon professionals while changing the way people purchase hair extensions and interact with hair companies.
- Startups of the week: Mayvenn, HealthLoop, Nurx San Francisco Chronicle
Diishan Imira started his business selling hair extensions out of the trunk of his car in Oakland. His startup, Mayvenn, has since grown to 51 full-time employees ...
- Mayvenn raises $23m to give the hair extension industry a new 'do The Hustle
A hair startup called Mayvenn raised $23 to extend its hair extension business -- and empower stylists in the process.
- #BUYBLACK419 Toledo City Paper
We have long been warned that, if we do not learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it. Knowing our roots, understanding the past, teaches how history ...
- Essence Ventures' first investment is in Mayvenn's hair-products platform ImpactAlpha
ImpactAlpha, Nov. 11 – Essence Ventures, the investment firm founded by Richelieu Dennis, is leading a $23 million round of financing for Mayvenn, ...
- How One Entrepreneur Raised $3 Million in Venture Capital Funding by Selling Hair Extensions Black Enterprise
Young entrepreneur talks merging the markets of Silicon Valley with the black hair industry.
- Meet Diishan Imira, the Black Hair King of Silicon Valley Essence.com
Diishan Imira is the CEO and co-founder of Mayvenn, a hair extension company that partners with stylists who serve as the salesforce for the hair extensions ...
- Mayvenn raises $10 million for its hair extension empire Fortune
With a $5 billion market opportunity, Mayvenn is partnering with hair salons and stylists to sell its products.
- Black-Owned Hair Brand Raises $23M In Venture Capital News One
The Black-owned beauty brand Mayven recently raised $23 million in venture capital funding.
- What U.S. Investors Can Learn From An Immigrant Venture Capitalist Forbes Now
Namek Zu'bi is the co-founder and managing partner of Silicon Badia, a venture capital fund in New York City and Amman, Jordan. Operating out of lower ...
- New Research From Tideline And Impact Capital Managers Finds The "Alpha" In Impact Investing PRNewswire
NEW YORK, Dec. 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- New research from Tideline, an impact investing consulting firm, in partnership with Impact Capital Managers (ICM), ...
- In the world of business 'Thank you' goes a long way—pampering session for seniors New Pittsburgh Courier
A simple “thank you” and showing a sense of gratitude goes a long way if you own or operate a *service* business. “I love my customers and appreciate you ...
- This is exactly how Serena Williams picks companies to invest in MarketWatch
As public controversy stews over GQ putting “woman” in quotes on its Williams cover, the tennis ace is quietly making waves in an entirely different way.
- Serena Williams could cash in on an upcoming tech IPO Business Insider
The tennis star serves as a director of the online polling company SurveyMonkey, and owns 210000 options and 35000 restricted shares in it.
- Can He Unlock the $9 Billion Weave Market? | Rising Stars OZY
Meet the force that's bringing the multibillion Black hair market online and up to speed.
- 10 Key Alpha Drivers in Impact Investing: Study ThinkAdvisor
Yes, impact investing does boost financial returns, but does more, according to the latest study confirming this finding, which also zeroed in on 10 “unique ...
- A startup that's capitalizing on the untapped hair extensions market Marketplace APM
It's an obvious solution to tech's diversity problem: invest venture capital into businesses founded by women and people of color. They're not only likely to hire a ...
- 2018 Is Shaping Up as a Pivotal Year for African-American Entrepreneurship Entrepreneur
According to the U.S. Black Chamber of Commerce, “African-American businesses have grown at an exponential rate in the 21st century.” Four months in and ...
- Hair-extension startup finally wins over Sand Hill VCs SFGate
This is a big thing in the black community that everyone is aware of,” said Imira, whose Oakland company Mayvenn seeks to bring technology-fueled ...
- Pro Rata - November 8, 2018 Axios
President Trump yesterday said during a lengthy press conference that he'd be open to raising taxes on corporations, as part of a hypothetical compromise with ...
- Kevin Durant, Will Smith Top the Lineup for a New Venture-Capital Fund for Black Investors The Wall Street Journal
Silicon Valley stalwart Andreessen Horowitz is launching a novel effort to boost diversity in tech: an exclusive new fund targeted at black celebrities, athletes and ...
- TRIED IT: Mayvenn Hair Released A Wine Colored Shade That You Need This Season HelloBeautiful
Style & Beauty Editor Danielle James tries out and reviews Mayvenn Hair's new pre-dyed virgin hair in bright burgundy.
- Stanford GSB Black Business Conference Returns April 28 Business Wire
The Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) Black Business Conference is returning to campus on April 28 for the first time since 2006 to inspire a.
- [THE UPLOAD]Meet the Online Hair-Care Millionaire EBONY.com
Diishan Imira is a really hard man to reach. “It's the craziest time of my life right now. I never know what my schedule is like. It's never been like this before,” says ...
- GET THE LOOK: Choose The Right Weave For You With Mayvenn Hair Extensions HelloBeautiful
Overwhelmed by weave options? We found some of the best hair to help you achieve great looks!
- 5 Beauty Tech Companies Founded by Black Entrepreneurs Black Enterprise
In a world dominated by mobile applications, here are some standouts in the beauty industry that were created by black entrepreneurs.
- The Truth Behind Hair Distribution in the U.S. Essence.com
The CEO of Mayvenn Inc. gives us the scoop on the future of innovative retail distribution in the hair industry.
- The Countdown Begins: 25 days of Black Biz TheGrio
TheGrio wanted to make your gift giving experience include purchases with a purpose by creating a list of 25 Black owned businesses.
- The Hair Extensions Business Is Finally Getting the Makeover It Deserves Fashionista
Fragmented and inefficient, the multimillion-dollar hair extensions market is being reinvented by these entrepreneurs.
- Want to Be an Investor? Cross Culture Ventures is Looking for a Summer Associate Black Enterprise
"Black and Latina women are significantly underrepresented in VC. Let's change that," said Marlon Nichols, managing partner of Cross Culture Ventures. Due to ...
- Investor: Who said black founders can't build a billion dollar company? CNN
Troy Carter has a knack for finding unknown talent. He discovered Lady Gaga and manages pop stars like Meghan Trainor and John Legend. He's also a ...
- The Brief's Big 7: The gift of impact, the impact alpha report, the case for climate optimism, stakeholder ownership, Agent of Impact Vineet Rai ImpactAlpha
Greetings, ImpactAlpha readers! Give the goodness of ImpactAlpha this holiday season. You are an Agent of Impact, driving change wherever you go. But your ...
- The Call No. 6: A new year, and a new day, for Agents of Impact ImpactAlpha
Something changed in 2018. For years, Caprock Group's Matthew Weatherley-White has found families and institutional investors 'skeptical but interested' in ...
- Who are the tennis aces serving up tech investment? Information Age
We take a look at some of the sporting celebrities cropping up in the industry supplying tennis tech investment.
- 30 women in venture capital to watch in 2018 Business Insider
Meet the women across the US who are sourcing noteworthy deals, founding female led firms, and cultivating interest in female founded startups.
- ImpactAlpha's featured 'Agents of Impact' ImpactAlpha
You are an Agent of Impact. You work across issues and geographies and stages and asset classes. You are inside and outside “the system.” Yet you share a ...
- Can you really make money while doing good? Marketplace APM
How impact investors hope to change the world while profiting from it.
- The New Off-Court Play for NBA Stars Is Startup Equity Bloomberg
About three years ago, in February 2014, Andre Iguodala spent an off-day during the NBA season at the offices of venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz in ...
- The 25 Best Small and Medium-Size Workplaces in the Bay Area Fortune
As everyone in the Valley already knows, it doesn't take a lot of people to have a big impact. Plenty of companies with fewer than 1,000 employees are already ...
- Most Creative People in Business 2018 Fast Company
The 100 visionary leaders you'll read about here hail from a wide range of fields. Each person has accomplished something truly novel over the past year that is ...
- 7 Best Venture Capitalists for Black Entrepreneurs Black Enterprise
These venture capitalists are not only some of the top investors but many of them are committed to spending dollars with black-owned businesses.
- The Best New Way for African Americans to Invest In or Start a Business: Equity Crowdfunding Black Enterprise
Black consumers and entrepreneurs can now use equity crowdfunding to invest in startups, influence the market, and build generational wealth. Here's how.
- Announcing Baaya Version 4.0 Inventiva
MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, 21st April, 2018: We are delighted to announce Baaya Ver 4.0 – a new avatar- one that is sure to inspire amazement and ...
- Nurx, Postmates, Asana get Chronicle, Crunchbase nod for best startups San Francisco Chronicle
The Chronicle routinely features Bay Area companies that are raising money, making moves and shaking up their industries. There have been startups ranging ...
- The 25 hottest startup CEOs in America Business Insider Australia
There's no shortage of hot startups. To stand out, startup CEOs are getting creative by launching innovative products and raising tons of money — and they have ...
- The next big restaurant chain may not own any kitchens Inventiva
If investors at some of the biggest technology companies are right, the next big restaurant chain could have no kitchens of its own. These venture capitalists think ...
- Bridges Israel backs precision irrigation company NDrip ImpactAlpha
ImpactAlpha, November 12 – Bridges Israel has invested an undisclosed amount in Israeli-based drip irrigation firm NDrip. NDrip makes drip-irrigation ...
- Asana and Wrike gets fresh cash, while Crunchyroll has 'Blade Runner' flash San Francisco Chronicle
A company that got its start at Facebook is setting its sights abroad with a new round of funding. San Francisco's Asana, which makes project management ...
- How This VC Finds the Next Big Thing Fortune
This article is part of VC to VC, a monthly series that features conversations between veteran venture capitalist Phil Wickham and other leaders in the investment ...
- What would a venture capitalist say about that? Startups get a chance to find out Miami Herald
Access to capital is lacking — that's a common refrain among Miami area entrepreneurs, and particularly in minority communities. So Derick Pearson and ...
- Poynt cashes in, Sapho sells out and Simple Habit stays calm San Francisco Chronicle
A Palo Alto company that's speeding credit card swipes and dips for restaurants and other retailers is now planning to expand to more countries with its recent ...
- SBS the Brand dishes on luxurious hair extensions and new edge control Rolling Out
Through the powers of social media Shaquille Butler was able to turn his passion into profit from twitter and build the SBS brand. Four years later with a.
- Best African hairstyles weave 2018 Tuko.co.ke
Tuko.co.ke News ☛ African women mainly like ☆AFRICAN HAIRSTYLES☆ like weaves to crown looks. These weaves come in a colorful selection at different ...
- New day for Agents of Impact, Bain's double healthcare impact, Lyme's $300 million timber fund, 15+ new job openings around the world ImpactAlpha
Greetings, Agents of Impact, and welcome back to The Brief. Our takeaway from the holiday break: A movement is breaking out. We are keen to hear your big ...
- Building a Better Tech Boom Curbed
Uber and other tech companies are flooding across the Bay into Oakland. The city is hoping to take advantage of the money, technology, and power arriving on ...
- The World's Top 20 Most Tech-Savvy Athletes SportTechie
From founding tech-centric startups and deploying strategic investments to leveraging social media and building a digital brand, today's athlete, whether.
- Female Celebrities Who Made Smart Investments Elite Daily
Everybody these days needs a side hustle, celebrities included. Besides having talent and beauty, these five female celebrities have some serious business ...
- Highlights From The Black Enterprise TechConneXt Summit Black Enterprise
The first day of the TechConneXt Summit was awe-inspiring and illuminating. President and CEO of Black Enterprise Earl Graves Jr. put it best in his opening ...
- Rivet Ventures Puts Women at the Helm Wall Street Journal
A new venture firm is focusing its efforts on female consumers and women as a market.
- Black Venture Capitalists Are Transforming Tech Xconomy
Would it surprise you to know that there are more than 100 black venture capitalists or that this nationwide ecosystem is growing? Most of the VCs in this.
- Ghana's Tress wants a piece of the $500 billion global haircare market TechCabal
The social network will launch at the Beauty of Tech panel, at Social Media Week, Lagos on February 25, 2016.
- Long Hair Don’t Care! Mama Tina Debuts Beyonce’s Real Rapunzel Tresses HelloBeautiful
Tina Knowles-Lawson posted a pic on Instagram showing off Beyonce's long locks in a low ponytail, claiming all this growth was au natural.
- Invest in black entrepreneurs because it's good business, not out of 'social obligation' Business Insider
Black entrepreneurs at Dave McClure's PreMoney conference explain why betting on them is good business.
- Disruptors: 10 Beauty and Fashion Innovators to Watch Allure Magazine
Disruptor (verb): To radically change an industry's business strategy, as by introducing a product or *service* that creates a new market. Is the prettiest hair color ...
- Reducing risks by managing for impact in Opportunity Zone investments ImpactAlpha
Not knowing the impact of Opportunity Zone investments puts communities, as well as investors seeking tax-advantaged returns, at risk. The good news: impact ...
- These Black-Owned Tech Upstarts Are Bridging the Cultural Divide Blavity
The influence African Americans have on mainstream culture...
- Meet Marlon Nichols, General Partner at Cross Culture VatorNews
There has been a big debate over the last few years over whether the Series A crunch is real or not. What everyone can agree on, though, is that there are ...
- Make Big Bucks in Specialized Markets Black Enterprise
On Day 3 of the Entrepreneurs Summit, the hair and beauty mavens spoke. Not in the beauty business? You can still learn from these successes in specialized ...
- This company is trying to reinvent health and beauty for people of color Fortune
Walker & Company's first brand, Bevel, includes razors and shaving creams that are designed to reduce skin irritation for people of color.
- 12 Surprising Investments of Millionaires and Billionaires Go Banking Rates
You might look to Madonna for music tips or Barack Obama for inspiration. But would you turn to these rich and famous folks for financial advice? Not only do ...
- Why More Black Engineers Aren't Being Hired In Silicon Valley International Business Times
About 5500 black students earn engineering and computer science degrees in the U.S. each year, but most go unhired by America's top technology companies.
- Silicon Beach 25: LA's Most Powerful Digital Players Hollywood Reporter
THR's second ranking of the tech innovators who deal and wield influence predominantly in Hollywood.
- The Best Business Reads of August The Atlantic
Each month, the editors of The Atlantic's Business Channel share the most interesting pieces of journalism about money and economics from around the web.
- GET THE LOOK: Justine Skye Envokes Old Hollywood Style Hair For Vogue Fashion Awards HelloBeautiful
Singer Justine Skye took to the 13th Annual CFDA/Vogue Fashion Awards with uber cool tresses done by Derick Monroe. Justine's hair was purple with the air of ...
- Cross Culture Ventures Closes $10.5 Million Fund Los Angeles Business Journal
Troy Carter's Cross Culture Ventures has raised a $10.5 million fund, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The Culver City ...
- 5 Organizations Helping Minority Startup Founders Succeed Entrepreneur
Several organizations have emerged as leaders in the effort to help minority entrepreneurs in the United States.
- 13 New Equity Crowdfunding Success Stories, for Ecommerce Practical Ecommerce
It's been three years since the Jumpstart Our Business Startups (JOBS) Act was signed into law. Currently, Title II is in effect, allowing small businesses to solicit ...
- Black Fellowship Students Headed From HBCUs to VC Boardrooms Xconomy
In mid-October, eleven college students will be flying to California for an opportunity that would be the envy of any Ivy League MBA candidate---they'll.
- 8 Black-Owned Beauty Brands To Follow On Instagram Refinery29
Instagram is the one-stop shop where we digest news, creep on our crushes, and find a ton of beauty inspo. But in my humble opinion, one of the coolest ...
- These Are The Tech Companies Celebrities Are Investing In Thrillist
Tech companies celebrities prefer to invest in, including picks from Adam Levine, Kevin Spacey, Ellen DeGeneres, and more.
- 13 Famous Athletes Reinventing Themselves as Investors Inc.com
From Serena Williams to Joe Montana, some of the most famous athletes are securing their legacy by shifting to investing.
- Your Guide To Personalizing Across Every Channel In 2017 Business 2 Community
Gartner's 2017 predictions indicate that 87% of marketers expect customer experience to be their primary differentiator. And if you think of the experiences that ...
- Hollywood Super Connector Anjula Acharia-Bath Joins Trinity Ventures TechCrunch
Founder of DesiHits! Anjula Acharia-Bath is the newest partner at venture capital firm Trinity Ventures. Bath has been named one of Billboard's 'International ...
- Richmond incubator near future UC research site targets growing companies - San Francisco Business Times San Francisco Business Times
Allan Young's incubator in San Francisco, Runway, aims to help companies take off; now he has leased 40,000 square feet in Richmond for a new business ...
- Professional Athletes: The Next Generation of Tech Entrepreneurs Entrepreneur
The average National Basketball Association salary during the 2015-2016 season was a cool $4,021,836. But not all athletes are out buying big cars and bigger ...
- Pritzker/Vlock Family Office & Co-Founder Elon Boms Announce Increased Investment in LaunchCapital Business Wire
Billionaire Investors Karen Pritzker and Michael Vlock, with Co-Founder Elon Boms, innovated the seed investing industry in 2008 with the introduction of ...
- Kobe Bryant joins long list of celebrities investing in tech The Guardian
Basketball star joins a growing list of famous venture capitalists who, having earned a fortune in one field, look to Silicon Valley to lose a fortune in another.
- TechCrunch Disrupt shows an industry grappling with diversity San Francisco Chronicle
When TV writer Mike Judge re-created a high-stakes startup pitch contest in his HBO series “Silicon Valley,” viewers criticized him for hiring mostly male extras to ...
- Toyota Brings HBCU Coders to Black Enterprise TechConneXt Hackathon PR Newswire
NEW YORK, Sept. 21, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Black Enterprise will present its annual TechConneXt Summit on Monday, Oct. 9 through Tuesday, Oct. 10, at the ...
- Check Out The Top Hairstyles At The 2018 SAG Awards HelloBeautiful
We rounded up all the hair products you need to achieve these looks.
- Hustler's ambition: How 500 Startups built a different kind of fund with small bets, diversity, international investments TechRepublic
500 Startups, the startup accelerator and venture fund, has operated full throttle since starting in 2010. Here's how it's become one of the most successful and ...
- Vinod Khosla: companies need a good base camp to succeed VatorNews
Vinod Khosla: companies need a good base camp to succeed. Too many VCs don't provide good base camps in order to make companies safe and predictable, ...
- Monique Woodard joins 500 Startups as first black partner USA TODAY
SAN FRANCISCO — Monique Woodard has joined 500 Startups as its first African-American venture partner to increase the firm's investments in black and ...
- My Natural Hair Got Me Invited to Speak in Paris Black Enterprise
I started my natural hair journey when I moved back from Atlanta to Los Angeles. My entire life, I could not get my hair to grow past my shoulders.
- White Boyfriend Does Black Girlfriend’s Hair And It’s The Most Confusing Thing Ever HelloBeautiful
Hair blogger Freedom Styles allows her white husband to style her natural hair.
- 500 Startups debuts $25 million microfund focused on Black and Latino founders VentureBeat
500 Startups is big on diversity, and it wants to see more diversity in the technology space. Today the venture firm launched a $25 million microfund dedicated to ...
- Success factors for female entrepreneurs VatorNews
Success factors for female entrepreneurs. Reena Jadhav moderates a panel of top women execs in Silicon Valley by Reena A Jadhav on November 11, 2014.
- GET THE LOOK: Tarji P. Henson’s Fresh ‘Fro HelloBeautiful
She's been making heads turn lately for all the right reasons! Actress Taraji P. Henson recently shared her new tresses with the world while hosting BET's 2017 ...
- GET THE LOOK: Here’s How To Achieve Octavia Spencer’s Romantic Red Carpet Waves HelloBeautiful
Here's how to get Octavia Spencer's 2018 Golden Globe Awards red carpet hair.
- Alfred Lin: why it's different to invest in Airbnb vs Uber VatorNews
Alfred Lin: why it's different to invest in Airbnb vs Uber. Lin calls Sequoia passing on Uber investment, 'A big failure on our part' by Steven Loeb on December 01, ...
- Ashley Nell Tipton’s Capsule Collection For JCPenney Dispels Fat Girl Myths HelloBeautiful
Ashley Nell Tipton releases an exclusive collection for JCPenney that is filling a much-needed style void in the community.