Mayvenn enables Stylists to sell products directly to their clients without the upfront costs and burdens of holding inventory.
At Mayvenn, we are creating the future of salon retail – one hairstylist at a time. Our mission is to empower hairstylists and salon professionals while changing the way people purchase hair extensions and interact with hair companies.
Sign up for the Moguldom newsletter — business news you need to know about economic empowerment for the digital age, delivered to your inbox.
- Startups of the week: Mayvenn, HealthLoop, Nurx San Francisco Chronicle
Diishan Imira started his business selling hair extensions out of the trunk of his car in Oakland. His startup, Mayvenn, has since grown to 51 full-time employees ...
- New Research From Tideline And Impact Capital Managers Finds The "Alpha" In Impact Investing PRNewswire
NEW YORK, Dec. 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- New research from Tideline, an impact investing consulting firm, in partnership with Impact Capital Managers (ICM), ...
- Follow the Talent: Agents of Impact Special Report for Nov. 16 ImpactAlpha
Greetings, ImpactAlpha readers! “Follow the talent” is one of our mantras as ImpactAlpha covers the daily beat of impact investing. Smart, passionate Agents of ...
- Mayvenn raises $23m to give the hair extension industry a new 'do The Hustle
A hair startup called Mayvenn raised $23 to extend its hair extension business -- and empower stylists in the process.
- This is exactly how Serena Williams picks companies to invest in MarketWatch
As public controversy stews over GQ putting “woman” in quotes on its Williams cover, the tennis ace is quietly making waves in an entirely different way.
- The Brief's Big 9: Gender-lens transparency, investing in students, Opportunity Zone tools, handmade economy, Agent of Impact Richelieu Dennis ImpactAlpha
Greetings, ImpactAlpha readers! We were surprised when we tested a cool new online tool and discovered that several “gender-lens” mutual funds and ETFs got ...
- Meet Diishan Imira, the Black Hair King of Silicon Valley Essence.com
Diishan Imira is the CEO and co-founder of Mayvenn, a hair extension company that partners with stylists who serve as the salesforce for the hair extensions ...
- Mayvenn Raises $23M in Funding FinSMEs
Mayvenn, an Oakland CA-based provider of a *service* for buying and installing hair, raised $23m in funding. The round was led by Essence Ventures.
- What U.S. Investors Can Learn From An Immigrant Venture Capitalist Forbes Now
Namek Zu'bi is the co-founder and managing partner of Silicon Badia, a venture capital fund in New York City and Amman, Jordan. Operating out of lower ...
- In the world of business 'Thank you' goes a long way—pampering session for seniors New Pittsburgh Courier
A simple “thank you” and showing a sense of gratitude goes a long way if you own or operate a *service* business. “I love my customers and appreciate you ...
- Why Serena Williams, Andreessen Horowitz are investing in this company that sells hair — yes, hair Business Insider
Serena Williams and Andreessen Horowitz have both invested in Mayvenn's idea of empowering hair stylists to sell hair.
- How One Entrepreneur Raised $3 Million in Venture Capital Funding by Selling Hair Extensions Black Enterprise
Young entrepreneur talks merging the markets of Silicon Valley with the black hair industry.
- Black-Owned Hair Brand Raises $23M In Venture Capital News One
The Black-owned beauty brand Mayven recently raised $23 million in venture capital funding.
- A startup that's capitalizing on the untapped hair extensions market Marketplace APM
It's an obvious solution to tech's diversity problem: invest venture capital into businesses founded by women and people of color. They're not only likely to hire a ...
- Can He Unlock the $9 Billion Weave Market? | Rising Stars OZY
Meet the force that's bringing the multibillion Black hair market online and up to speed.
- Kevin Durant, Will Smith Top the Lineup for a New Venture-Capital Fund for Black Investors The Wall Street Journal
Silicon Valley stalwart Andreessen Horowitz is launching a novel effort to boost diversity in tech: an exclusive new fund targeted at black celebrities, athletes and ...
- 2018 Is Shaping Up as a Pivotal Year for African-American Entrepreneurship Entrepreneur
According to the U.S. Black Chamber of Commerce, “African-American businesses have grown at an exponential rate in the 21st century.” Four months in and ...
- Serena Williams could cash in on an upcoming tech IPO Business Insider
The tennis star serves as a director of the online polling company SurveyMonkey, and owns 210000 options and 35000 restricted shares in it.
- No. 357: Dodging bullets, firing lasers, icing the heat-pump competition and remembering Stan the Man (excelsior!) Innovate Long Island
Middle march: We're equidistant from the beginning and the end of the workweek, which must make today Wednesday. Congratulations, dear reader, you're ...
- The Weekly Notable Startup Funding Report: 11/12/18 AlleyWatch
Each week we bring you some of the notable startup fundings from the previous week in a clear, concise, easy-to-read report to keep you on top of things.
- 5 Beauty Tech Companies Founded by Black Entrepreneurs Black Enterprise
In a world dominated by mobile applications, here are some standouts in the beauty industry that were created by black entrepreneurs.
- [THE UPLOAD]Meet the Online Hair-Care Millionaire EBONY.com
Diishan Imira is a really hard man to reach. “It's the craziest time of my life right now. I never know what my schedule is like. It's never been like this before,” says ...
- Hair-extension startup finally wins over Sand Hill VCs SFGate
This is a big thing in the black community that everyone is aware of,” said Imira, whose Oakland company Mayvenn seeks to bring technology-fueled ...
- Stanford GSB Black Business Conference Returns April 28 Business Wire
The Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) Black Business Conference is returning to campus on April 28 for the first time since 2006 to inspire a.
- 30 women in venture capital to watch in 2018 Business Insider
Meet the women across the US who are sourcing noteworthy deals, founding female led firms, and cultivating interest in female founded startups.
- Can you really make money while doing good? Marketplace APM
How impact investors hope to change the world while profiting from it.
- The Truth Behind Hair Distribution in the U.S. Essence.com
The CEO of Mayvenn Inc. gives us the scoop on the future of innovative retail distribution in the hair industry.
- Want to Be an Investor? Cross Culture Ventures is Looking for a Summer Associate Black Enterprise
"Black and Latina women are significantly underrepresented in VC. Let's change that," said Marlon Nichols, managing partner of Cross Culture Ventures. Due to ...
- Make Big Bucks in Specialized Markets Black Enterprise
On Day 3 of the Entrepreneurs Summit, the hair and beauty mavens spoke. Not in the beauty business? You can still learn from these successes in specialized ...
- Sophia Kunthara, Hearst Fellow, Business San Francisco Chronicle
Sophia Kunthara is a Hearst Journalism Fellow on the business desk. She's a two-time graduate of Arizona State University and spent the first year of the ...
- Investing Millions in Companies Led by Black Men Black Enterprise
Venture capital investment in companies led by women and minorities is lacking. CB Insights released its data in showing only 1% of VC-funded startup ...
- The New Off-Court Play for NBA Stars Is Startup Equity Bloomberg
About three years ago, in February 2014, Andre Iguodala spent an off-day during the NBA season at the offices of venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz in ...
- The Hair Extensions Business Is Finally Getting the Makeover It Deserves Fashionista
Fragmented and inefficient, the multimillion-dollar hair extensions market is being reinvented by these entrepreneurs.
- Most Creative People in Business 2018 Fast Company
Meet 2018's most inspiring leaders in the Fast Company community.
- 7 Best Venture Capitalists for Black Entrepreneurs Black Enterprise
These venture capitalists are not only some of the top investors but many of them are committed to spending dollars with black-owned businesses.
- Investor: Who said black founders can't build a billion dollar company? CNN
Troy Carter said some institutional investors didn't want to back his fund, Cross Culture Ventures, because he invested in too many African American-led ...
- The 25 Best Small and Medium-Size Workplaces in the Bay Area Fortune
As everyone in the Valley already knows, it doesn't take a lot of people to have a big impact. Plenty of companies with fewer than 1,000 employees are already ...
- Who are the tennis aces serving up tech investment? Information Age
We take a look at some of the sporting celebrities cropping up in the industry supplying tennis tech investment.
- The Best New Way for African Americans to Invest In or Start a Business: Equity Crowdfunding Black Enterprise
Black consumers and entrepreneurs can now use equity crowdfunding to invest in startups, influence the market, and build generational wealth. Here's how.
- Can customer experience design make even buying a car bearable? (VB Live) Inventiva
“Car buying and selling is traditionally one of the most negative experiences that people go through,” says Andrew Leede, product owner at Blinker, the app ...
- Pro Rata - November 8, 2018 Axios
President Trump yesterday said during a lengthy press conference that he'd be open to raising taxes on corporations, as part of a hypothetical compromise with ...
- Black Venture Capitalists Are Transforming Tech Xconomy
Would it surprise you to know that there are more than 100 black venture capitalists or that this nationwide ecosystem is growing? Most of the VCs in this.
- Female Celebrities Who Made Smart Investments Elite Daily
Everybody these days needs a side hustle, celebrities included. Besides having talent and beauty, these five female celebrities have some serious business ...
- Building a Better Tech Boom Curbed
Uber and other tech companies are flooding across the Bay into Oakland. The city is hoping to take advantage of the money, technology, and power arriving on ...
- Highlights From The Black Enterprise TechConneXt Summit Black Enterprise
The first day of the TechConneXt Summit was awe-inspiring and illuminating. President and CEO of Black Enterprise Earl Graves Jr. put it best in his opening ...
- How This VC Finds the Next Big Thing Fortune
This article is part of VC to VC, a monthly series that features conversations between veteran venture capitalist Phil Wickham and other leaders in the investment ...
- Long Hair Don’t Care! Mama Tina Debuts Beyonce’s Real Rapunzel Tresses HelloBeautiful
Tina Knowles-Lawson posted a pic on Instagram showing off Beyonce's long locks in a low ponytail, claiming all this growth was au natural.
- 5 tips on saving money and time on Halloween costumes San Francisco Chronicle
Shopping for Halloween costumes doesn't have to be scary. This year, shoppers can find more ways to save time and money. Discounters like Walmart and ...
- The 25 hottest startup CEOs in America Business Insider Australia
There's no shortage of hot startups. To stand out, startup CEOs are getting creative by launching innovative products and raising tons of money — and they have ...
- These Black-Owned Tech Upstarts Are Bridging the Cultural Divide Blavity
The influence African Americans have on mainstream culture...
- What would a venture capitalist say about that? Startups get a chance to find out Miami Herald
Access to capital is lacking — that's a common refrain among Miami area entrepreneurs, and particularly in minority communities. So Derick Pearson and ...
- Social Capital’s Chamath Palihapitiya says ‘we need to return to the roots of venture investing’ Inventiva
In the first of many annual letters Chamath Palihapitiya will be penning as part of his firm's new era as a technology holding company, the founder of Social ...
- Yahoo to pay $50M, other costs for massive security breach San Francisco Chronicle
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Yahoo has agreed to pay $50 million in damages and provide two years of free credit-monitoring services to 200 million people ...
- Best African hairstyles weave 2018 Tuko.co.ke
Tuko.co.ke News ☛ African women mainly like ☆AFRICAN HAIRSTYLES☆ like weaves to crown looks. These weaves come in a colorful selection at different ...
- Rivet Ventures Puts Women at the Helm Wall Street Journal
A new venture firm is focusing its efforts on female consumers and women as a market.
- Celebrity stylist Shaquille Butler dishes on his SBS weave and product line Rolling Out
Through the powers of social media Shaquille Butler was able to turn his passion into profit from twitter and build the SBS brand. Four years later with a.
- Black Fellowship Students Headed From HBCUs to VC Boardrooms Xconomy
In mid-October, eleven college students will be flying to California for an opportunity that would be the envy of any Ivy League MBA candidate---they'll.
- Disruptors: 10 Beauty and Fashion Innovators to Watch Allure Magazine
Disruptor (verb): To radically change an industry's business strategy, as by introducing a product or *service* that creates a new market. Is the prettiest hair color ...
- Tencent is launching its own version of Snap Spectacles Inventiva
Some were surprised to see Snap release a second version of its “face-camera” Spectacles gadget, since the original version failed to convert hype into sales.
- Meet Marlon Nichols, General Partner at Cross Culture VatorNews
There has been a big debate over the last few years over whether the Series A crunch is real or not. What everyone can agree on, though, is that there are ...
- The World's Top 20 Most Tech-Savvy Athletes SportTechie
From founding tech-centric startups and deploying strategic investments to leveraging social media and building a digital brand, today's athlete, whether.
- Invest in black entrepreneurs because it's good business, not out of 'social obligation' Business Insider
Black entrepreneurs at Dave McClure's PreMoney conference explain why betting on them is good business.
- Here's Twitter's position on Alex Jones (and hate-peddling anti-truthers) — hint: It's a fudge Inventiva
The number of tech platforms taking action against Alex Jones, the far right InfoWars conspiracy theorist and hate speech preacher, has been rising in.
- Monique Woodard joins 500 Startups as first black partner USA TODAY
SAN FRANCISCO — Monique Woodard has joined 500 Startups as its first African-American venture partner to increase the firm's investments in black and ...
- Ghana's Tress wants a piece of the $500 billion global haircare market TechCabal
The social network will launch at the Beauty of Tech panel, at Social Media Week, Lagos on February 25, 2016.
- 500 Startups debuts $25 million microfund focused on Black and Latino founders VentureBeat
500 Startups is big on diversity, and it wants to see more diversity in the technology space. Today the venture firm launched a $25 million microfund dedicated to ...
- Maven, GM's Car-Sharing Scheme, Is Really About a Driverless Future WIRED
General Motors is launching a car-sharing program. It's called Maven, it's available in exactly one city, and, frankly, it's an unexciting riff on ZipCar. But GM isn't ...
- Shay Plans a Romantic Dinner for Pleasure P But He's Busy Meeting Up With Another Woman in this Love & Hip Hip Miami Highlight VH1.com
Shay is ready to give Pleasure P a night to remember, but he has other plans.
- How A Jordanian Venture Capital Firm Elbowed Its Way Into US Deals Forbes Middle East
After delivering a rousing pitch for his startup Quartzy, a developer of lab management software, founder Jayant Kulkarni stepped off the stage to take questions.
- GET THE LOOK: Justine Skye Envokes Old Hollywood Style Hair For Vogue Fashion Awards HelloBeautiful
Singer Justine Skye took to the 13th Annual CFDA/Vogue Fashion Awards with uber cool tresses done by Derick Monroe. Justine's hair was purple with the air of ...
- The Best Business Reads of August The Atlantic
Each month, the editors of The Atlantic's Business Channel share the most interesting pieces of journalism about money and economics from around the web.
- 13 New Equity Crowdfunding Success Stories, for Ecommerce Practical Ecommerce
It's been three years since the Jumpstart Our Business Startups (JOBS) Act was signed into law. Currently, Title II is in effect, allowing small businesses to solicit ...
- Why the social sector is an exciting space to build your life and career Inventiva
The social sector holds exciting, promising opportunities that even a corporate job cannot afford – dealing with and tackling complex issues, travel across the ...
- This company is trying to reinvent health and beauty for people of color Fortune
Walker & Company's first brand, Bevel, includes razors and shaving creams that are designed to reduce skin irritation for people of color.
- 5 Organizations Helping Minority Startup Founders Succeed Entrepreneur
Several organizations have emerged as leaders in the effort to help minority entrepreneurs in the United States.
- Why More Black Engineers Aren't Being Hired In Silicon Valley International Business Times
About 5500 black students earn engineering and computer science degrees in the U.S. each year, but most go unhired by America's top technology companies.
- These Are The Tech Companies Celebrities Are Investing In Thrillist
Tech companies celebrities prefer to invest in, including picks from Adam Levine, Kevin Spacey, Ellen DeGeneres, and more.
- Catalyte Raises $27M in Series A Funding; Acquires Surge FinSMEs
Catalyte, a Baltimore-based software engineering services company, raised $27M in Series A funding. Backers included – Revolution's Rise of The Rest Seed ...
- Cross Culture Ventures Closes $10.5 Million Fund Los Angeles Business Journal
Troy Carter's Cross Culture Ventures has raised a $10.5 million fund, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The Culver City ...
- 8 Black-Owned Beauty Brands To Follow On Instagram Refinery29
Instagram is the one-stop shop where we digest news, creep on our crushes, and find a ton of beauty inspo. But in my humble opinion, one of the coolest ...
- Your Guide To Personalizing Across Every Channel In 2017 Business 2 Community
Gartner's 2017 predictions indicate that 87% of marketers expect customer experience to be their primary differentiator. And if you think of the experiences that ...
- 13 Famous Athletes Reinventing Themselves as Investors Inc.com
From Serena Williams to Joe Montana, some of the most famous athletes are securing their legacy by shifting to investing.
- Richmond incubator near future UC research site targets growing companies - San Francisco Business Times San Francisco Business Times
Allan Young's incubator in San Francisco, Runway, aims to help companies take off; now he has leased 40,000 square feet in Richmond for a new business ...
- Sequoia, Xiaomi pump-in $7 Mn in chat entertainment platform Samosa Labs Inventiva
Social media and chat entertainment startup Samosa Labs has raised $7 million in a *fresh* funding round led by Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi and venture.
- Kobe Bryant joins long list of celebrities investing in tech The Guardian
Basketball star joins a growing list of famous venture capitalists who, having earned a fortune in one field, look to Silicon Valley to lose a fortune in another.
- Pritzker/Vlock Family Office & Co-Founder Elon Boms Announce Increased Investment in LaunchCapital Business Wire
Billionaire Investors Karen Pritzker and Michael Vlock, with Co-Founder Elon Boms, innovated the seed investing industry in 2008 with the introduction of ...
- Professional Athletes: The Next Generation of Tech Entrepreneurs Entrepreneur
What do you think keeps Steph Curry, Kevin Seraphin and Carmelo Anthony busy in the off season? Think 'tech.'
- TechCrunch Disrupt shows an industry grappling with diversity San Francisco Chronicle
When TV writer Mike Judge re-created a high-stakes startup pitch contest in his HBO series “Silicon Valley,” viewers criticized him for hiring mostly male extras to ...
- Toyota Brings HBCU Coders to Black Enterprise TechConneXt Hackathon PR Newswire
NEW YORK, Sept. 21, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Black Enterprise will present its annual TechConneXt Summit on Monday, Oct. 9 through Tuesday, Oct. 10, at the ...
- Hollywood Super Connector Anjula Acharia-Bath Joins Trinity Ventures TechCrunch
Founder of DesiHits! Anjula Acharia-Bath is the newest partner at venture capital firm Trinity Ventures. Bath has been named one of Billboard's 'International ...
- Hustler's ambition: How 500 Startups built a different kind of fund with small bets, diversity, international investments TechRepublic
500 Startups, the startup accelerator and venture fund, has operated full throttle since starting in 2010. Here's how it's become one of the most successful and ...
- Silicon Beach 25: LA's Most Powerful Digital Players Hollywood Reporter
THR's second ranking of the tech innovators who deal and wield influence predominantly in Hollywood.
- Vinod Khosla: companies need a good base camp to succeed VatorNews
Vinod Khosla: companies need a good base camp to succeed. Too many VCs don't provide good base camps in order to make companies safe and predictable, ...
- My Natural Hair Got Me Invited to Speak in Paris Black Enterprise
I started my natural hair journey when I moved back from Atlanta to Los Angeles. My entire life, I could not get my hair to grow past my shoulders.
- White Boyfriend Does Black Girlfriend’s Hair And It’s The Most Confusing Thing Ever HelloBeautiful
Hair blogger Freedom Styles allows her white husband to style her natural hair.
- Vinod Khosla: founders should be realistic but ambitious VatorNews
Vinod Khosla: founders should be realistic but ambitious. If an entrepreneur is focused on valuation, that is 'the wrong way to look at a company' by Steven Loeb ...
- New Impact Benchmark from Cambridge Associates: Market-Rate Returns (Almost) ImpactAlpha
Down goes another obstacle to the growth of impact investing. The new Impact Investing Benchmark, from Cambridge Associates and the Global Impact ...
- Success factors for female entrepreneurs VatorNews
Success factors for female entrepreneurs. Reena Jadhav moderates a panel of top women execs in Silicon Valley by Reena A Jadhav on November 11, 2014.
- Diddy's 2nd Annual REVOLT Music Conference Takes Over Miami Miami.com
Thursday, October 15 – Sunday, October 18. Fountainbleau Hotel, 4441 Collins Ave, Miami Beach. Themed, “The Merging of Music, Technology and Innovation ...
- Alfred Lin: why it's different to invest in Airbnb vs Uber VatorNews
Alfred Lin: why it's different to invest in Airbnb vs Uber. Lin calls Sequoia passing on Uber investment, 'A big failure on our part' by Steven Loeb on December 01, ...