Jopwell is a digital diversity recruitment platform connecting Black, Latino/Hispanic, and Native American professionals and students with top companies for jobs and internships at all levels.
Launched by former Goldman Sachs employees Porter Braswell and Ryan Williams in Jan. 2015, the Jopwell platform enables partner companies to search and recruit from a pipeline of candidates from backgrounds historically underrepresented at top-tier companies – from technology startups and investment banks to nonprofits and hospitals.
We are a Manhattan-based, venture-backed team that Inc magazine named among the “5 Most Interesting Startups” to come out of Y Combinator’s summer 2015 Demo Day. Our mission is to leverage the power of technology to create access to opportunities and make the workforce more colorful.
Sign up for the Moguldom newsletter — business news you need to know about economic empowerment for the digital age, delivered to your inbox.
- Jopwell helps track down minority talent New York Business Journal
Many talented black, Latino and Native American MBAs, college graduates and undergraduates have a hard time securing jobs because they don't have a ...
- 24+ Sites to Find Free Images You Would Actually Use for Your Marketing Business 2 Community
Here at Buffer, we think a lot about visual *content*. We've shared our own study on the importance of images in Twitter posts for more social sharing. We've ...
- PGA of America partners with Jopwell to develop diverse workforce throughout golf industry PGA.com
The PGA of America has announced a new partnership with Jopwell, the leading career advancement for Black, Latinx, and Native American students and ...
- Jopwell Using Tech To Drive Workforce Diversity Black Enterprise
Focused on improving corporate diversity efforts, Porter Braswell and Ryan Williams have built a tech-based recruiting platform known as Jopwell, which links ...
- Jopwell raises $7.5 million to further its mission to diversify companies TechCrunch
Jopwell, the recruiting startup focused on diversity, has raised a $7.5 million Series A round led by Cue Ball Capital, bringing its total funding up to $11.75 million ...
- Can free stock photos of people of color make business more diverse? Quartz at Work
When creative types don't have the time or money to shoot photos for websites and advertising, they turn to stock photos, generic images sold by photo agencies ...
- These guys built an app to help minorities land jobs in tech ... and it's attracting a lot of attention Business Insider
Jopwell cofounders, president Ryan Williams (left) and CEO Porter Braswell Jopwell Porter Braswell and Ryan Williams are co-founders of an unusual job ...
- The Website That Is Helping Companies Find Diverse Talent Entrepreneur
When companies say they don't have the resources for diversity recruiting, it hurts our ears,” says Porter Braswell, who spent years at Goldman Sachs, where he ...
- YC-Backed Jopwell Is Building The Apparently Missing “Pipeline” Of Diverse Candidates For Tech Jobs TechCrunch
Behind the repetitive and apologetic acknowledgment that there is a lot more “work to do” on diversity at companies like Facebook, Google and Twitter is the ...
- Your Workplace Isn’t Your Family (and That’s O.K.!) The New York Times
Welcome to the Smarter Living newsletter. The editor, Tim Herrera, emails readers with tips and advice for living a better, more fulfilling life. Sign up here to get it ...
- Moneyball for business: How AI is changing talent management Fast Company
Fifteen years after Billy Beane disrupted Major League Baseball by applying analytics to scouting, corporations are rewriting the rules of recruiting.
- This Startup Wants to Make the NBA Even More Diverse Inc.
Jopwell announced deals with professional teams including the Golden State Warriors, the Boston Celtics, and the L.A. Clippers, to connect minority candidates ...
- 6 Entrepreneurs Share the Bad Idea That Led to a Success Entrepreneur
Good ideas are the product of bad ideas -- the failure leads us to success. So we asked six entrepreneurs: What was a bad idea that led to a great one? Related: ...
- Here's how 7 millennial leaders plan to accomplish their goals in 2018 CNBC
It's the first month of the new year. Are you on your way to achieving your New Year's resolutions, or have you already faltered or given up completely?
- VC’s Debut Fund Is the Largest Ever for a Black-Led Firm Bloomberg
Adeyemi Ajao is a quick study. The 36-year-old, who goes by Ade, transformed a group of friends into a product team at Tuenti, Spain's answer to Facebook, ...
- From Goldman Sachs to Y Combinator: How the Jopwell journey brings diversity to the workforce New York Business Journal
Co-founders Porter Braswell and Ryan Williams left their jobs at Goldman Sachs to launch the recruitment platform back in 2014.
- Can Jopwell Fill a Crucial Gap in the Information Economy? Forbes
It's well-documented that African-Americans, Latinos and some other racial minorities are underrepresented in many fields, including tech and finance industries, ...
- UBS Makes Moves to Diversify Its Workforce ThinkAdvisor
UBS is the first wealth manager to partner with a diversity recruitment and career advancement platform like Jopwell.
- The Recruiting Platform That Facebook Uses To Tackle Its Diversity Problem Fast Company
Jopwell is tackling the pipeline problem to help boost diversity in Silicon Valley and everywhere.
- They Left Goldman Sachs To Help Corporate America Find Minority Candidates Forbes
Two former Goldman Sachs employees--both African American-- started a business that lets corporations more easily connect with and recruit minority ...
- How to do business with friends Quartz at Work
Doing business with friends can be both pleasant and beneficial, for both men and women.
- The only “sustainable competitive advantage” in business is self-awarenes Quartz at Work
Your sense of self shifts when you're at a peak or in a valley. During great moments, we are liable to have an inflated sense of self. We believe we are right more ...
- This NYC Startup Just Raised $7.5M to Ensure Diversity in Hiring AlleyWatch
Jopwell, cofounded by Porter Braswell, is a platform that helps Black, Latino/Hispanic and Native American students and professionals advance professionally.
- This startup is helping the NBA and USTA reach a more diverse talent pool CNBC
According to The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports (TIDES), 81.7 percent of the National Basketball Association's players are people of color — but the ...
- This Startup Is Helping Condé Nast, Pinterest, the NBA and Other Brands Find Diverse Job Candidates Adweek
Jopwell has been around less than two years, but it's already being used by the likes of Condé Nast, the NBA, Pinterest, the United States Tennis Association ...
- How AI Will Make Our Workplace Fair With Diversity Tech Stack Forbes Now
Diversity in the workplace is a hot topic in the future of work. The question is no longer whether diversity is an issue; but how we can fix the diversity issue.
- Why Magic Johnson Invested in This One-Year-Old Staffing Firm Inc.com
In an attempt to crack the code to Silicon Valley's diversity problem, Jopwell connects ethnic minority candidates to high-paying jobs in the technology sector.
- Tech’s diversity failures are a massive business opportunity for the minority recruitment industry Quartz
The birth of the modern diversity-recruitment industry can be dated to Oct. 11, 2013. That's the day Tracy Chou, an engineer at Pinterest, published a post on ...
- 3 Ways To Develop Transferrable Skills In Your Current Job Fast Company
This Google recruiter shares how he leveraged his skills to change careers, from sales to recruiting.
- The Future Innovators Index 2018 Vanity Fair
Vanity Fair's New Establishment list showcases the movers and shakers of the past year across sectors, but the Future Innovators list is a preview of the best of ...
- How to tell if your company's values actually matter Quartz at Work
During a keynote at a recent conference, I asked the audience to raise their hands if they worked for a company that has a mission and set of values. All of the ...
- How Startups Are Using Facebook to Find More Diverse Job Candidates Inc.
A new report says the tech industry is still failing at diversity. Here's how one Facebook group is changing the status quo.
- How to give a presentation with confidence Quartz at Work
To deliver a great presentation, you need to speak with confidence. If you are hesitant and tentative, you will not be particularly convincing or credible. People ...
- Inclusion means both being there and feeling like you belong Quartz at Work
Thirteen years ago, I was an intern on Wall Street, at an investment bank. The day my program began, my stomach was in knots. This world was completely ...
- Founders And Venture Capital: Racism Is Costing Us Billions Forbes Now
Startups need more capital. Investors want more deals. So what's the issue? We need to change the way we invest to create more successful returns and ...
- He Quit So You Could Get Hired NBCNews.com
Porter Braswell, CEO and Cofounder of minority recruiting platform, Jopwell, is someone to watch. Only 27, Braswell realized that he could directly connect his ...
- Workplaces Are More Segregated Than 40 Years Ago. What Gives? Money Magazine
Companies have long trumpeted sweeping diversity initiatives, but even in era of “Chief People Officers” and “transparent company cultures,” a growing body of ...
- The four-day workweek doesn't make everyone more productive Quartz at Work
Earlier this year, a New Zealand firm that manages trusts and estate planning ran an experiment to see what would happen if everybody in their office worked ...
- 30 AND UNDER: The tech industry's rising stars in 2018 Business Insider
BI PRIME: From crypto to AI, these innovators are changing the world, and they're all ages 30 and under.
- The No. 1 piece of advice two millennial CEOs have for 20-something job seekers CNBC
Jopwell's CEOs say young workers need to put themselves in the driver's seat.
- New Recruiting Platform Jopwell Helps Make Corporate Diversity Efforts More Effective PR Newswire
NEW YORK, Jan. 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Jopwell (www.Jopwell.com), the first tech-enabled recruiting platform dedicated exclusively to connecting leading ...
- How To Succeed When You Don’t Have Access To A Professional Network Fast Company
Sometimes, gaining access to a strong professional network means building your own.
- Founder Gym launches a Cohort Exclusively for Black Founders Black Enterprise
Founder Gym, an online training center for underrepresented founders who want to build successful tech startups, is launching it's 5th and 6th Cohorts, and one ...
- raceAhead: Grit Is The New MBA Fortune
Fortune's future-of-work cover package hits the web today, which includes my latest story, Grit Is The New MBA, about how smart employers are ditching referrals ...
- The most creative and diverse teams have "cultural brokers" Quartz at Work
The business case for diversity is by now well established. Diverse teams don't just drive greater financial returns—they're also more productive, more ...
- 3 Bad Habits CEOs Picked Up In 2017 And How They Plan To Break Them Fast Company
Six CEOs share the least productive behaviors and blind spots they acquired over the past 12 months. On the agenda for 2018? Self-care and unplugging.
- Three Recommendations To Help Solve Tech's Diversity Problem Forbes Now
These three recommendations can help employeers improve their diversity pipeline problem at the earliest stages of the process: recruitment.
- Boosting Tech Diversity, With Magic Johnson’s Help Fortune
Jopwell raises $3.25 million, including from Magic Johnson Enterprise and Andreessen Horowitz, to increase Silicon Valley diversity.
- Jopwell Announces Partnership with National Education Organization City Year PR Newswire
NEW YORK, Sept. 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Jopwell, an online minority hiring platform, today announced its partnership with City Year, a national education ...
- The 19 hottest New York City startups to watch Business Insider
These startups hail from a range of industries and are poised to do big things in 2018.
- How to manage questions after a presentation Quartz at Work
One of the most challenging parts of a business presentation is managing questions. It is a challenge because questions are hard to control. If your CEO asks ...
- How to raise venture capital as a woman Quartz at Work
Women still raise just 2% of venture capital dollars, and their company valuations remain lower than those run by men.
- Today's Must-Reads For Entrepreneurs: 19 Startups To Watch, A Woman Takes A Tech Company Public Forbes Now
News and insights from around the Web: Startups. Here are 19 startups to watch in New York City: "Brooklinen offers luxury bedding at non-luxury prices.
- The One Thing That Will Force Businesses To Care About Diversity Fast Company
We all know diversity is good for business, both across an organization and in leadership. But is that convincing enough for leaders who are reluctant to make it ...
- Where To Find Racially Diverse Stock Photography HuffPost
This post is by Katie Sanders. It originally appeared on The Well, Jopwell's digital magazine. Since launching The Well last spring as a platfo...
- Forbes Under 30 Scholars Program, Focused On Diversity And Inclusion, Offers 1,000 College Students Access To 2017 Forbes Under 30 Summit Forbes Now
The scholarship program gives a diverse group of students from schools across the country free admission to this year's Forbes Under 30 Summit, October 1-4 in ...
- Seeing Is Believing: Creating More Stock Images of People of Color in Tech Black Enterprise
There is a growing movement to create more stock images of people of color engaged with technology in professional roles and settings.
- How to run a meeting that reflects your values Quartz at Work
Every day in the United States, at least 36 million meetings are held. It's no surprise to anyone that, in many of these meetings, people bring in unrelated work, ...
- A New York Times editor’s advice for women who want to stand out in male-dominated offices Quartz at Work
Historically, journalism (like most industries) has been heavily male-dominated—especially among the top editors. And even today, as women comprise over ...
- I'm Complicit To Institutional Bias, Here's What I'm Doing About It Forbes
We are all a part of the problems of inequity and lack of inclusion in our economy if we are participating in systems without questioning and leveraging our ...
- Paying Lip Service to Diversity Doesn't Work -- Here's What Does Entrepreneur
You've heard of a "sales funnel." But what about a "recruitment funnel"? It can help you make "diversity" much more than just a buzzword.
- Work Life A LinkedIn Leader's Top 5 Career Lessons To Learn Earlier It's important to plan Fast Company
It's important to plan for both the short and the long game in your career.
- How To Become Indispensable At Work This Year Fast Company
You can gain some job security and maybe even a promotion by taking these actions.
- I Review Thousands Of Resumes–Here's What I'm Really Looking For Fast Company
One recruiter shares her go-to checklist for the types of resumes that catch her eye.
- How To Build A Productive Startup Culture HuffPost
This post is by Anastacia Gordon. It originally appeared on The Well, Jopwell's digital magazine. Having been the first employee at Jopwell, a ...
- How to get the most out of mentorship Quartz at Work
Many mentors and protégés suffer from misconceptions about the mentoring process.
- Kobe Bryant and nine other athletes have been supersmart investors The Undefeated
What comes next? What is my next passion?” Those are the two questions retired NBA star and Academy Award winner Kobe Bryant claims athletes have to ask ...
- The best career advice isn't "get to the top" Quartz at Work
The more critical and widespread workplace issue for women is participation, not power.
- 5 of the Most Interesting Startups From Y Combinator Demo Day Inc.com
Startup accelerator Y Combinator's two-day Demo Day program raises the curtain twice each year on some of the more promising startups taking shape. Of the ...
- 7 Black business and tech professionals who are changing the game Indianapolis Recorder
This week, we're honoring seven Black men and women in the business and tech world who are innovating and changing the game. We hope you admire their ...
- EY finds the key to employee happiness is regular check-ins Quartz
The business case for investing in employee satisfaction and inclusion is clear: When employees feel like they belong at work, they're happier, more productive, ...
- Groupon Co-Founder's New Healthcare Startup Raises $70 Million Entrepreneur
Plus, Target and Pinterest are partnering up and a recruiting startup raises $7.5 million in a series A round.
- UBS latest to make push for young, diverse advisers InvestmentNews
Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that 20 young advisers had completed UBS' general adviser training program. That is the number ...
- How I Became An Entrepreneur After Serving A Four-Year Prison Term Fast Company
Coss Marte, a former inmate, shares why his route back to society was in building a company that gives back.
- Nailing Workforce Diversity Is Tricky - Even for a Diversity Recruitment Startup Huffington Post
Jopwell is helping other companies solve their diversity challenges, I want to continue being open and proactive about addressing our own. Now more than ...
- Report gives NBA high grades for diversity hiring New York Business Journal
The 2018 NBA Racial and Gender Report card gives the NBA an A+ for its racial hiring practices and a B for its gender hiring practices.
- How This Tinder-Like App Aims To Eliminate Unconscious Bias In Recruiting Fast Company
Blendoor hides applicants' names, ages, gender, and ethnicity so that their qualifications and skills can take center stage.
- On a Mission to Make the Workplace More Colorful, Jopwell Raises $3.25 Million in Seed Funding PR Newswire
NEW YORK, Jan. 20, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Jopwell (www.Jopwell.com), the leading recruitment and hiring platform for building a more diverse workforce, today ...
- Millennial Moves: 30-Year Old Global Media Director On How She Leveled Up Her Career Black Enterprise
Millennial Moves is an ongoing series highlighting millennials of color making creative and ingenious moves in their careers and as entrepreneurs. Before the ...
- Why I Left Wall Street to Launch a Recruitment Platform Huffington Post
I often get asked why I left a job in sales and trading at Goldman Sachs to launch a recruitment company with no experience in recruitment or technology.
- 22 superb players in the New York start-up ecosystem to watch in 2018 Siliconrepublic.com
Ahead of the next Inspirefest 2018 Salon in New York, we checked out the movers and shakers to watch in the city's start-up ecosystem.
- 8 lessons to learn before you launch your business Business Insider
What you need to know before taking your idea a reality.
- This Wall Street bank is minting startup founders Business Insider
Goldman Sachs' massive network has helped its former staff launch lucrative startups.
- 3 Things Besides Money You Need to Start a Successful Business Entrepreneur
Knowledge and expertise, embodied in a strategic plan, properly executed, can make all the difference for your startup.
- Your email habits should focus on being considerate, not just productive Quartz at Work
What you can do to anticipate, restore, and otherwise employ email so that it actually works.
- Forbes’ 2018 ‘30 Under 30’ Came Early This Year. Here’s Who Made the Education List. EdSurge
When it comes to education, Forbes' 2018 “30 Under 30” list might be summed up best as the year of the founder.Most of the 38 honorees (cofounders are ...
- Why women leaders are so often hidden in plain sight Quartz at Work
"As someone who has helped place qualified candidates into the highest levels of leadership in organizations, I can attest that having confidence isn't a problem ...
- How Silicon Valley's Diversity Problem Created A New Industry Fast Company
A number of recent startups could actually make a dent in the diversity stats at major tech firms.
- 7 tips for writing the perfect email Business Insider
No matter what it is you need, what it is you do, or where it is you want to go, your ability to communicate in such a way that actually warrants the response you ...
- What I've Learned From My Failed And Successful Salary Negotiations Fast Company
You can't always guarantee success, but you can always put yourself in the best position to get what you want.
- Jopwell Headshot Tour Helping Minority Students Jet Magazine
Jopwell, aka the LinkedIn of diversity hiring, is continuing to assist people and businesses of color in the professional realm. On Friday, the company will kick off ...
- Not Meeting Your Goals? Try This 4-Step Process Fast Company
To achieve the goals you set for yourself, you have to monitor your progress.
- How This 30-Year-Old Entrepreneur Changed The Face Of Stock Photography Forbes Now
Karen Okonkwo is a Nigerian-American and Seattle-based serial entrepreneur who co-created TONL with the intention of infusing diversity within the stock ...
- How to run an effective meeting: avoid process performances Quartz at Work
Earlier this year, when I was learning how to facilitate a specific type of workshop, a colleague revealed the secret to making it great: understanding the outcome ...
- Breaking down barriers: diversity and inclusion in the C-suite Financier Worldwide
Financier Worldwide is a leading, widely respected information source covering corporate finance and board-level business issues.
- 7 Best Venture Capitalists for Black Entrepreneurs Black Enterprise
These venture capitalists are not only some of the top investors but many of them are committed to spending dollars with black-owned businesses.
- How to set boundaries when your boss is a workaholic Quartz at Work
The key to reaping the upside of reporting to a workaholic manager without it destroying your well-being is to set boundaries.
- How These Seven Tech Leaders Are Tackling Diversity In 2017 Fast Company
In the Trump era, companies are feeling pressured to champion inclusivity. Here's how tech execs are responding.
- 15 Status Quo Defiers Distinguishing Themselves as the Latest Generation of Challenger Brands Adweek
Disrupting industries from fashion to fitness, careers to rental cars.
- A CEO gives 5 tips to winning your salary negotiation Business Insider
Jopwell There are few things as exciting as the conclusion of a job hunt - that period when you've jumped through all the hoops and finally have an official offer ...