Ghana’s largest industries include agriculture, mining and ship building — industries that often do business far from metropolitan areas. When it comes to banking, what matters to Ghanaians is good mobile banking platforms and devoted customer service. The following banks are thriving in areas of mobile banking and customer service. Here are 8 of Ghana’s richest banks by assets in 2015.
In 2014 Fidelity Bank got into business with the U.S. Agency for International Development, signing a $3.9 million deal. The deal is aimed at offering funding for private health facilities such as hospitals and clinics. As for their regular services, the bank offers SMS banking, money transfers, retail and wholesale banking, treasury, corporate finance and more.
Formerly the Societe Generale Ghana, SG-SSB holds an important place in banking history as the first bank to offer doorstep banking and cash collection, as well as support for non-traditional exporters. It also has an electronic debit card called the sika card. In 1994 SSB and the government-owned National Savings and Credit Bank merged and in became a limited liability company before going public on the stock exchange.
UniBank is entirely Ghanaian owned and, for that reason, has a loyal customer base, says Myjoyonline.com. At the ninth edition of the Banker Africa Awards, the bank was named Best SME Bank in Ghana—an award that works to recognize the reforms, rapid modernization, consolidation, integration and expansion of Africa’s banking and financial sector, says UnibankGhana.com.
Agricultural Development Bank is a publicly owned bank with headquarters in Accra. The Ghanaian government holds 52 percent of the shares and the Financial Investment Trust holds the other 48 percent. In recent years, the bank expanded its presence in the northern region of the country to enhance people’s access to credit for agriculture and small-scale businesses, according to Modernghana.com.
Barclays has had a presence in Ghana for over 90 years and has over 50 branches in the country. In 2011, the bank opened new suites for its high-net-worth customers for their exclusive banking, according to Contactpages.info. Being a member of this banking club includes global access to amenities like airport lounges. Their Visa debit card is usable at over 1.4 million ATMs around the world, too.
Zenith Bank has branches in Ghana, the U.K., Sierra Leone and The Gambia. Zenith is a subsidiary of Nigeria’s larger Zenith Bank Plc, and it focuses on being the easiest banking experience. The bank is known for its quality information and communications technology platform, and as far as customer service goes, the company is the envy of its peers, says Joblistghana.com.
Ecobank is part of a banking chain with headquarters in Lomé, Togo, and branches in 36 African countries, as well as representative offices in China, Dubai, France and the U.K. The bank has a customer base of an estimated 13.7 million, with the majority of them in Nigeria, says Sussle.org. The bank also has nearly 20,000 employees and nearly 2,000 ATMs.
Ghana Commercial Bank was founded in 1953 and is now one of the largest independent banks in the country. The bank offers personal banking, corporate services, investment services, money transfers and electronic banking. The bank’s original goal was to help local businesses become successful using local funding, says Contatpages.info.