Tunisia Football Federation Settles Dispute With CAF

Avatar
Written by Peter Pedroncelli

The Tunisian Football Federation (FTF) have announced that the issues with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) have been resolved, and they will be taking part in qualifying for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).

CAF threatened to ban Tunisia from the next AFCON after they refused to apologise and follow through on other sanctions due to the behaviour of fans, players and officials following a controversial quarter-final game at the 2015 AFCON, in which Tunisia were knocked out 2-1 by hosts Equatorial Guinea, thanks in great part to ridiculous refereeing decisions by Rajindraparsad Seechurn on the day. He was later punished for his poor performance.

Tunisia were given until March 31 to apologise and make things right with the governing body. According to an official at the FTF, this situation is now under control and the 2017 Nations Cup will see Tunisia aiming to qualify with the blessing of CAF.

CAF have not yet confirmed the news, but FTF vice-president Maher Snoussi told the media that his meeting with the African governing body president Issa Hayatou earlier this month was a successful one, and that his country’s appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will be removed this week as a result of the fruitful talks with Hayatou.

“The details are not yet official but following my meeting with Issa Hayatou (CAF president), for me the problems are definitely settled,” Snoussi told the press.

“What will happen is at the next executive committee of the CAF, the bans will be lifted. But I am completely reassured that Tunisia will be one of the teams that are in the draw for qualifiers,” he concluded.

The qualifiers for the 2017 Nations Cup begin in June, so CAF will need to officially confirm this change in their position to allow the Carthage Eagles to take their place amongst the nations aiming to qualify for the next AFCON in the coming months.