Foreign Affairs Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed on Wednesday confirmed that Kenya and Rwanda had been approached by the United Nations to send troops, but ruled out deployment of forces there immediaitely, NTV reported.
“Some countries have already agreed to provide troops while others are considering the provision of troops. We have been approached to provide troops, so have many other countries both in Africa and outside Africa,” she said.
“The United Nations Security Council together with the government of South Sudan has adopted a resolution to allow 5,500 troops to take position if calm is not restored.”
“The question of whether we are going to see troops in the Republic of South Sudan… if need arises for the resolution of the Security Council to be implemented then yes, soldiers will proceed to ensure that peace and normalcy return,” said Mohamed.