From Fox News
Egyptian security forces in riot gear swept in with armored vehicles and bulldozers to clear two protest camps in Cairo Wednesday, igniting clashes with pro-Morsi supporters as violence flared across Egypt, leaving more than 50 people dead and hundreds injured.
Khaled el-Khateeb, an Egyptian Health Ministry official, told the Associated Press that clashes between Morsi protesters and security forces killed at least 28 people in Cairo, 25 in Minya province south of the capital and one each in the cities of Alexandria, Assiut and Ban Suef. Sky News also said that Mick Deane, a cameraman, was among the dead.
The camps cleared Wednesday had been the catalyst of protests since former President Mohammed Morsi was overthrown by the Egypt’s military on July 3, with thousands calling for his reinstatement.
The Muslim Brotherhood’s political arm, which backs Morsi, claimed that more than 500 protesters were killed and some 9,000 wounded in the two camps, but those figures could not be confirmed and nothing in Associated Press footage or local TV networks suggested such a high death toll.
Mohammed el-Beltagy, a senior Brotherhood leader, put the death toll at more than 300 and called on the police and army troops to mutiny against their commanders and on Egyptians to take to the streets to show their disapproval of Wednesday’s raids on the sit-ins.