Sources Say Police Are Nearing An Arrest In Murder Of Tupac, Following Confession

Avatar
Written by Ann Brown

It’s been nearly 21 years since hip-hop icon Tupac Shakur was murdered in Las Vegas after attending a Mike Tyson fight with Death Row CEO Suge Knight. The murder has stirred up all kinds of suspicions about who shot 2Pac. Was the hit orchestrated by Knight who was in danger of possibly losing Shakur as an artist? Was it gang members? The rumors went on and on.

Listen to GHOGH with Jamarlin Martin | Episode 53: Frederick Hutson

Part 1: Jamarlin talks to justice-tech pioneer Frederick Hutson, who founded Pigeonly to create communications products for inmates and their families that reduce the destructive impact of incarceration.

But now, according to sources, police are close to an arrest in the death of the actor/rapper.

“A new documentary is reexamining a taped confession by rapper Duane “Keffe D” Davis in which he admits to being in the white Cadillac that fired on Tupac,” Esquire reported.

“I was a Compton kingpin, drug dealer, I’m the only one alive who can really tell you story about the Tupac killing,” Keefe says in the documentary. “People have been pursuing me for 20 years, I’m coming out now because I have cancer. And I have nothing else to lose. All I care about now is the truth.”

Here’s what we know happened: “On September 7, 1996, Suge Knight and Tupac left a Mike Tyson and Bruce Seldon fight at the MGM Grand to go to Club 662 in Las Vegas. At 11:15 p.m., on the corner of Flamingo Road and Koval Lane, an unidentified white Cadillac pulled up to the right of the BMW and opened fire. Tupac was rushed to the hospital, where he died six days later. More than two decades later the case remains unsolved,” Esquire reported.

Prior to the shooting, Tupac and Knight got in a fight with Keffe’s nephew Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson at the MGM Grand. Initially, Anderson was the prime suspect in the murder though he was never arrested. He died two years later in a gang shootout in Los Angeles.

While Keffe D gave his confession, he refused to name the shooter because of “street code.”

“Going to keep it for the code of the streets,” Keffe D said on BET’s show “Death Row Chronicles.” “It just came from the backseat, bro.”

According to the NY Daily News, the two men in the backseat have been identified as Orlando Anderson and DeAndre Smith. Anderson, also previously named suspect in the shooting.

Keffe D also appeared in the recent documentary “Unsolved: The Tupac and Biggie Murders,” recently released on Netflix.

“Now, an anonymous source tells Las Vegas’s 13 Action News that an arrest is ‘imminent.’ Las Vegas police, however, say that the case remains an open homicide case,” Esquire reported.

“We are aware of the statements made in a BET interview regarding the Tupac case. As a result of those statements we have spent the last several months reviewing the case in its entirety,” the LVMPD said in a statement. “Various reports that an arrest warrant is about to be submitted are inaccurate. This case still remains an open homicide case.”

In light of the new evidence, people are demanding a resolution–finally. “A change.org petition launched after the Keffe D’s first BET interview is calling for the police department to conclude Shakur’s murder investigation, saying the case has been solved, citing previous statements Keffe D allegedly made to investigators that identified Anderson as the shooter,” Oxygen reported.

To date the petition, launched two months ago, has more than 2,700 signatures.

So why did Keffe D finally talk? “People have been pursuing me for 20 years. I’m coming out now because I have cancer, and I have nothing else to lose,” Keffe D told the Hollywood Reporter. “All I care about now is the truth.”

Tupac
Rapper Tupac Shakur gestures as he leaves State Supreme Court in New York, July 11, 1994 after a pretrial hearing on charges of sodomy and sexual abuse stemming from an incident in a New York hotel room earlier this year. (AP Photo/Adam Nadel)